Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Never heard of him. But he seems to be one of those people who resent any criticism of things they love, even when it’s utter crap, and lash out in a rage at the critics. We’ve seen it right here in this thread. The amusing part is the supercilious tone—as if he’s convinced he’s an anointed genius, and everyone who criticizes Strange New Hair is an idiot.

And of course, there’s the predictable “you’ll take whatever crap we give you, and you’ll like it” haughtiness we often get from studios and their shills. Marie Antoinette never really said “Let them eat cake,“ but the studios say it every day.

I remember Roberto Orci once losing it—on Twitter, I think—when fans were criticizing one of his reboot movies. He basically said that there’s a reason he’s paid the big bucks to write those things, and we, the great unwashed, are not.

My response to that sort of nonsense is that rising to the top of a system that rewards mediocrity is nothing to brag about.
Pretty much. If you responded as such to his video, he'd call you a Nazi or something stupid.

Never heard of him. But he seems to be one of those people who resent any criticism of things they love, even when it’s utter crap, and lash out in a rage at the critics. We’ve seen it right here in this thread. The amusing part is the supercilious tone—as if he’s convinced he’s an anointed genius, and everyone who criticizes Strange New Hair is an idiot.

And of course, there’s the predictable “you’ll take whatever crap we give you, and you’ll like it” haughtiness we often get from studios and their shills. Marie Antoinette never really said “Let them eat cake,“ but the studios say it every day.

I remember Roberto Orci once losing it—on Twitter, I think—when fans were criticizing one of his reboot movies. He basically said that there’s a reason he’s paid the big bucks to write those things, and we, the great unwashed, are not.

My response to that sort of nonsense is that rising to the top of a system that rewards mediocrity is nothing to brag about.

...and Orci was the "fan" half of the writing team for those first two films.

Apparently the writer's explanation for the new depiction of the Gorn is "I couldn't be bothered to think about the context, so I just pulled something out of my ass":
View attachment 1594395

This is gibberish. These hacks really cannot color inside the lines to save their lives, can they?

Repeat after me: Prior to "Arena", Kirk never saw or heard of a Gorn. They were completely unknown until the Federation built an outpost in their territory. Anything else is an excuse for lazy writing.

Sure, you could tell a pre-TOS Gorn story without breaking the canon (like, say, a starship encountering and being destroyed by a Gorn ship without being able to tell anyone about it), but these writers simply do not care enough to work with the existing material. They're far happier steamrolling it and/or smashing it with a wrecking ball.

Repeat after me: Prior to "Arena", Kirk never saw or heard of a Gorn. They were completely unknown until the Federation built an outpost in their territory. Anything else is an excuse for lazy writing.
A bit more like the "giant squid" of spacefaring races, we had reports that they're out there, came across fragments confirming it, but it took ages until we finally came across one in the wild.
But with these new Gorn they didn't just go with a "they never identified themself" cop-out like the Ferengi in ENT, but they fully took a dump on established canon.

A bit more like the "giant squid" of spacefaring races, we had reports that they're out there, came across fragments confirming it, but it took ages until we finally came across one in the wild.
But with these new Gorn they didn't just go with a "they never identified themself" cop-out like the Ferengi in ENT, but they fully took a dump on established canon.
Or taking another tack: we encountered the Gorn, but like the Talosians, the encounter was subsequently hushed up by Starfleet, because they obliterated a starship and its crew in minutes, and the political fallout from such a calamity would be disastrous. Or maybe Cestus III wasn’t the first outpost destroyed by the Gorn, but again, the first one was hushed up. And even knowing that Cestus III might be in Gorn space, it was allowed to be established anyway, because Starfleet couldn’t afford to leak what it knew about the Gorn.

If you take the time to be creative, there are plenty of ways you could Gorn it up to your heart’s content without breaking canon.

But no, these bozos are too busy being Raul Julia in The Gumball Rally. Cuz who needs a rear view mirror, right?

Or taking another tack: we encountered the Gorn, but like the Talosians, the encounter was subsequently hushed up by Starfleet, because they obliterated a starship and its crew in minutes, and the political fallout from such a calamity would be disastrous. Or maybe Cestus III wasn’t the first outpost destroyed by the Gorn, but again, the first one was hushed up. And even knowing that Cestus III might be in Gorn space, it was allowed to be established anyway, because Starfleet couldn’t afford to leak what it knew about the Gorn.
There's a number of ways that you could do it but the one thing I'm having a hard time getting past is how do you get from the way they're depicting the Gorn now vs. how they will appear in just a few years? Technologically superior, space-capable, slow-moving reptiles? That's not what they're showing. If they are truly in the same continuity, somehow you have to get from one to the other logically, where Kirk (and presumably Starfleet) knows nothing about the Gorn and Kirk's Enterprise makes first contact.

I can't see how they can possibly do that, not that they care.

Time for another installment of Adventures on Memory Alpha.

And another first stolen from TOS by talentless hacks and plagiarists.

Screenshot_20220703-174741_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220703-174748_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220703-174758_Chrome.jpg

There's a number of ways that you could do it but the one thing I'm having a hard time getting past is how do you get from the way they're depicting the Gorn now vs. how they will appear in just a few years? Technologically superior, space-capable, slow-moving reptiles? That's not what they're showing. If they are truly in the same continuity, somehow you have to get from one to the other logically, where Kirk (and presumably Starfleet) knows nothing about the Gorn and Kirk's Enterprise makes first contact.

I can't see how they can possibly do that, not that they care.

Well, gee, the Enterprise apparently went from first pilot look to STD/SNW look to second pilot look to TOS production look. So anything is possible.

Unless the official line is that the TOS Enterprise "really" looked like the STD/SNW version, in which case Memory Alpha needs to update its article screencaps. Same with the Gorn.

Sorry that I'm just joining this discussion but I just watched E8 and 9 and I am excited to see what people are saying. First, I love the level of respect they've given to the original props. Episode 8 premiers the main medical scanner but M'Benga holds it backwards. I'm sure all of you notice that. Regardless, I need to have that and the alien medical scanner too...and the phaser,...and the communicator,...and the tricorder. Anyway, I'll start reading what everyone has been saying but I will say I LOVE THE SHOW!

Sorry that I'm just joining this discussion but I just watched E8 and 9 and I am excited to see what people are saying. First, I love the level of respect they've given to the original props. Episode 8 premiers the main medical scanner but M'Benga holds it backwards. I'm sure all of you notice that. Regardless, I need to have that and the alien medical scanner too...and the phaser,...and the communicator,...and the tricorder. Anyway, I'll start reading what everyone has been saying but I will say I LOVE THE SHOW!
It's a different scanner. You see him using a more TOS style scanner in the proper direction in episode 8.

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 3.36.22 PM.png

The scan
It's a different scanner. You see him using a more TOS style scanner in the proper direction in episode 8.
Actually, M'Benga has been using an updated version of the M'Benga/alien scanner this entire series but in Ep 8 he uses a different one that is modeled after McCoy's original scanner. They did a great job of creating an updated version but the actor held it backwards.

Attachments

• 33c522bc-a65e-4afe-86c6-8be81e972344.jpg
    33c522bc-a65e-4afe-86c6-8be81e972344.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 5e5b9b93-9b54-408e-a415-68622d80c22b.jpg
    5e5b9b93-9b54-408e-a415-68622d80c22b.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 37

puppet-awkward.gif

1656899145646.jpeg

49C2E8FC-26E3-4309-9258-55E221AA29C3.jpeg

My observations form the latest Gorn Episode:

• I loved watching Spock play the role of the 23rd century dishwasher of Captain Pike’s super-sized Colorado ski lodge that doubles for his quarters on the ship.
  • The Gorn acted like wild animals vs. advanced star travelers ; even killing each other until there remained one lone “alpha”. This being the case, I am wondering how a feral species such as this would have ever been able to master space travel. I guess, if given enough time, a pack of wild wolves would be able to harness their vast intelligences and civilization to create warp space flight?
  • Why is it that Bad Robot Spock (in the movies and the TV show) acts like a rage-filled lunatic and always acts out his feelings by “punching things” whether that be walls, computers, people? He seems like a man prone to eventually physically abuse those around him. I believe the term is “a ticking time-bomb”. Whatever happened to the “coolness” that once defined Mr. Spock (and don’t tell me all of this is explained by him smiling in a 50 year old, unsold pilot, in which his character wasn’t even established yet)?

Last edited:
…and now it’s time for another installment of Adventures on Memory Alpha:

The Constitution class Starship Enterprise (NCC-1701) is arguably the most famous and iconic spaceship in history, real or fictional. The original STAR TREK is one of the most iconic TV shows of all time, and the adventures of the Enterprise under the command of Captain Kirk have become legend.

Let’s see what we can learn.

…oh. The article-opening quote comes from…NuPike. Then there’s one from Kirk. Well, it’s nice that Kirk’s in there somewhere, at least.

97CB18F2-961C-47BE-AD88-F6246EF6FA20.jpeg

…and there are an awful lot of paragraphs pertaining to lots of wacky stuff before TOS comes into play.

A newbie coming in would probably read a few paragraphs in to get the jist of the ship’s history, then wander off to other things.

Almost seems like they’ve…I dunno…retconned a bunch of stuff in so that their version gets all the firsts. First mentions in articles and wikis, first contacts with various species, first everything. But they wouldn’t possibly be trying to overwrite an iconic piece of pop-culture history…right?

2391AF9F-3669-4C40-8C87-D2B3FA1965AD.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back