Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

asalaw

Sr Member
HAH! just realized my M’Benga plot totally riffs on the Ripley/Newt plot in Aliens. But hey, if you’re gonna rip off Aliens and have a Newt character, why not rip off the good parts, instead of just doing the crap they did? If you’re gonna steal, steal from the best. Ima go write Macbeth in Space now.

Iskelderon

Sr Member
HAH! just realized my M’Benga plot totally riffs on the Ripiley/Newt plot in Aliens. But hey, if you’re gonna rip off Aliens and have a Newt character, why not rip off the good parts, instead of just doing the crap they did? If you’re gonna steal, steal from the best. Ima go write Macbeth in Space now.
Yes, but instead of drowning her because the new script was **** they had her pull a Wesley Crusher and she ascended to a different state of being.

Gregatron

Master Member
HAH! just realized my M’Benga plot totally riffs on the Ripley/Newt plot in Aliens. But hey, if you’re gonna rip off Aliens and have a Newt character, why not rip off the good parts, instead of just doing the crap they did? If you’re gonna steal, steal from the best. Ima go write Macbeth in Space now.

“Get away from her, you female Gorn in heat!”

asalaw

Sr Member
I just finished No Way Home. I totally see how it made $1.9B worldwide. Amazing how so many characters can be so well managed without turning into an unfocused mess. I’m sure it helped they were all established in other movies, but there are still about a billion ways this could have gone sideways. If you had pitched me the concept, I would’ve thrown you out of my office—hell, out the window. Yet they pulled it off.

And Strange New Hair can’t seem to manage a handful of potentially great characters in a well-established universe without leaving most of them completely undeveloped after nine hours. Pathetic.

I could gush about NWH for hours—there’s so much it gets right—but I don’t want to trip the OT alarms…

In other news, Nexstar has reached a deal to “buy” 70% of the CW network for $0 and assumption of $100M in CW debt, so it looks like potentially the only decent writer left in TV, JMS, will be without a home for the B5 reboot. Maybe Strange New hair will take him. God knows they could use the skilled labor.

Mottrex

Sr Member
NEVER.

For those who haven't been paying attention, JJ Abrams is a fraud who's built his career on "adapting" the work of others, and Bad Reboot/Secret Hideout regularly do the same thing. They can't create anything new that has legs, so they just remix and mashup the works of their betters. They acquire franchises, give them a new coat of paint, and run them into the ground before moving on to the next one. They're like locusts.

"Plagarism" might be too kind a word. Of course, the audience they cater to has neither the historical knowledge or the attention-span to notice or care.

They lie, cheat, and steal, and yet people still blindly support them.
Tell it to The Greeks..

They must be Spinning in their Graves, then again they prolly stole those same stories from another older culture.

Iskelderon

Sr Member
Apparently the writer's explanation for the new depiction of the Gorn is "I couldn't be bothered to think about the context, so I just pulled something out of my ass":
1656839005083.png

Krieger

Sr Member
Now I am understandably curious after reading the last few days of posts on this thread and r/StrangeNewWorlds

Will watch it tonight, before the local fireworks

1656843019410.png

pengbuzz

Sr Member
They already did: it's called Macross. :D

I'm still upset though that they killed off Hemmer so quickly. :( I mean seriously, while he was a bit haughty and full of himself, he at least made things a bit interesting!

asalaw

Sr Member

I'm still upset though that they killed off Hemmer so quickly. :( I mean seriously, while he was a bit haughty and full of himself, he at least made things a bit interesting!
Ah, but did they say “Out, out, damn sunspots!

I hated Hummer. Well, in fairness, I hate almost all of them. But Hummer was particularly tedious, and all of his dialog was just on-the-nose dreck. If these writers had the first clue how to write subtext, he could have been much more mysterious and interesting.

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’m going to park this video here, just to because I know it’s going to kick up some dust in this thread…

Yeah, I’m a real jerk and a troll, sometimes.

asalaw

Sr Member
Yeah, they’re free to make their own show (even though it’s not really “their own” original show, is it?), and they’re free to make it as crapulent as they want. And we’re free to expose it for the utter s***show that it is. What a great country, eh?

Cephus

Sr Member

At least he was something original. Considering how much this show rips off everything, badly, at least Hemmer was a breath of fresh air among the stench.

asalaw

Sr Member
Steve Shives is now and has always been an *******.
Never heard of him. But he seems to be one of those people who resent any criticism of things they love, even when it’s utter crap, and lash out in a rage at the critics. We’ve seen it right here in this thread. The amusing part is the supercilious tone—as if he’s convinced he’s an anointed genius, and everyone who criticizes Strange New Hair is an idiot.

And of course, there’s the predictable “you’ll take whatever crap we give you, and you’ll like it” haughtiness we often get from studios and their shills. Marie Antoinette never really said “Let them eat cake,“ but the studios say it every day.

I remember Roberto Orci once losing it—on Twitter, I think—when fans were criticizing one of his reboot movies. He basically said that there’s a reason he’s paid the big bucks to write those things, and we, the great unwashed, are not.

My response to that sort of nonsense is that rising to the top of a system that rewards mediocrity is nothing to brag about.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.