Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

The producers of the ‘Legacy’ Trek series’ connected with audiences by using modern day social issues to examine the state of the world at that time. To help them see past themselves and connect to the larger whole. This is why Star Trek became so much more than a show, but a community.

At Star Trek conventions, you could literally see an overweight guy with one eye having a conversation with a woman dressed as 7 of 9 and just as beautiful and both of them comfortable with each other, because of a shared love of Trek.

Today’s producers have a set agenda driven by the producers that finance them, which pander to a subset audience that screams the loudest, and through those stories they tell you that your a small minded, horrible person unless you embrace what they’re selling.

At conventions of this Trek, you’ll see divisions of ‘fans’ screaming at each other.

Generally, I don't put anyone on ignore, but there is one that has wound up there because they have consistently proven that they have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation. It's someone who emotionally reacts, they don't have the capacity to think. I've got no interest in seeing anything from people like that.

Generally, I don't put anyone on ignore, but there is one that has wound up there because they have consistently proven that they have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation. It's someone who emotionally reacts, they don't have the capacity to think. I've got no interest in seeing anything from people like that.
I try not to, but nowadays, it is becoming more necessary.

On that note: I wonder if the universal translator aboard Starfleet Vessels have an "ignore" feature. That would be fun for an episode of SNW!

Pike gets tired of some idiot who is running off at the mouth, and signals to Uhura to hit the "special red switch". :p

I try not to, but nowadays, it is becoming more necessary.

On that note: I wonder if the universal translator aboard Starfleet Vessels have an "ignore" feature. That would be fun for an episode of SNW!

Pike gets tired of some idiot who is running off at the mouth, and signals to Uhura to hit the "special red switch". :p
Pike gets sick and tired of Ortegas and does what we all wish we could do.

You read my mind. They should shave off those tribbles above her eyes and reimplant them above her ears. Then she’d at least look halfway normal.
4291609_1.jpg

Having only seen the first episode, I just checked out a recent clip.
GOOD GAWD, relentless and unmotivated shakycam and dolly shots.
I'll know better to peek in again.

Having only seen the first episode, I just checked out a recent clip.
GOOD GAWD, relentless and unmotivated shakycam and dolly shots.
I'll know better to peek in again.
Sometimes I think that new camera rigs like the Arri Trinity are ruining filmmaking, but then I remember that in competent artistic hands, you get 1917. In mediocre hands, you get acrobatic camera moves that call attention to themselves instead of serving the story, and anamorphic lens effects slavishly used as Christmas decoration. The latter is ironic, considering we live in an age when the usefulness of anamorphic lenses has been overtaken by ever-higher resolution camera sensors that can deliver any aspect ratio you want, and yet young aspiring cinematographers keep chasing that oval bokeh and those oh-so-sexy horizontal lens flares.

Style over substance. Which is what Strange New Hair is all about, isn’t it?

Speaking of whom…
Yup. They certainly don't believe in the ignore feature, now do they? Wonder if the likes section has an ignore button too?

Pike gets sick and tired of Ortegas and does what we all wish we could do.
Right: I think that's how quantum torpedoes got invented. With her acerbic comments, all it would take is launching her out a photorp tube, and the second she hits an enemy ship, her mouth would go off and cause a quantum explosion! :p

Sometimes I think that new camera rigs like the Arri Trinity are ruining filmmaking, but then I remember that in competent artistic hands, you get 1917. In mediocre hands, you get acrobatic camera moves that call attention to themselves instead of serving the story, and anamorphic lens effects slavishly used as Christmas decoration. The latter is ironic, considering we live in an age when the usefulness of anamorphic lenses has been overtaken by ever-higher resolution camera sensors that can deliver any aspect ratio you want, and yet young aspiring cinematographers keep chasing that oval bokeh and those oh-so-sexy horizontal lens flares.

Style over substance. Which is what Strange New Hair is all about, isn’t it?

Something I’ve often thought about is how, especially in sci-fi/fantasy films, you really do want the camera work to call as little attention to itself as possible, especially in visual effects shots. If you have all sorts of swooping and diving and zooming shots which would be physically impossible for a real camera operator to get, then you know that the events onscreen were not photographed live and in person, even if only on a subconscious level.

You want the illusion that the events you’re seeing are somehow real, and that someone was actually there and filmed them. Compare old ILM spaceship model shots to modern CGI. The models’ photography was bound by real-world limitations, whereas a virtual camera is unhindered by physics, and can go anywhere and do anything a digital artist wants. And, as a result, with modern effects, you don’t get the feeling that a cameraman was in a spaceship, following the Millennium Falcon through that asteroid field, or watching the battle between the Enterprise and the Reliant in the Mutara Nebula.

Last edited:
Ooooooohhhhhhh dear God. Just started watching Strange New Hair/Same Old Worlds (I like that, NakedMoleRat!). When M’Benga is reading to his daughter and they keep cutting to inserts of the book, I started thinking, “NOOOOO—PLEASE do NOT put M’Benga into the story book for this episode! DO NOT GO THERE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT’S HOLY!!!!!

And at the end of the teaser, that’s exactly what happens. Just when I think the show can’t sink any deeper into the morass of stupid, it keeps digging for that new bottom. They’re going in their first season to all those stupid places shows go in their later seasons, when the writers are tired and out of ideas.

I know what this is. It’s the revenge of Renfest. They’re finally getting their due after all those years complaining about Trek cosplayers crashing their events.

Seriously, I feel like the show’s fans are being gaslit. Let’s see how stupid we can go and still get them to like it!

And now I’m incredibly, morbidly curious—will Chato give even this a good review, or will he finally admit the emperor is naked and his royal dangly bits are swaying in the wind like a wrinkled, fleshy wind chime?

I don’t know if I can watch the rest of the episode now that it’s announced its intention to be the worst, most ridiculous, most insulting pile of s*** yet. I’ll give it the ol’ college try, but I can already feel my immune system rejecting it like Larry Hagman’s liver transplant.

It’s like stopping into McDonald’s once a week for lunch and realize that the burger is old, the fries are cold and the soda is warm, and no matter how much you complain, it’s never fresh! Finally you figure out you may need to go somewhere else for lunch.

It’s like stopping into McDonald’s once a week for lunch and realize that the burger is old, the fries are cold and the soda is warm, and no matter how much you complain, it’s never fresh! Finally you figure out you may need to go somewhere else for lunch.
I finished the rest of it, and now I feel wistful. M’Benga says the rest of the crew has no memory of what happened. I envy them.

I know exactly what the Drinker would say:
ED18E76D-448D-455C-82B2-27D5E5A7D663.jpeg

Ooooooohhhhhhh dear God. Just started watching Strange New Hair/Same Old Worlds (I like that, NakedMoleRat!). When M’Benga is reading to his daughter and they keep cutting to inserts of the book, I started thinking, “NOOOOO—PLEASE do NOT put M’Benga into the story book for this episode! DO NOT GO THERE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT’S HOLY!!!!!

And at the end of the teaser, that’s exactly what happens. Just when I think the show can’t sink any deeper into the morass of stupid, it keeps digging for that new bottom. They’re going in their first season to all those stupid places shows go in their later seasons, when the writers are tired and out of ideas.

I know what this is. It’s the revenge of Renfest. They’re finally getting their due after all those years complaining about Trek cosplayers crashing their events.

Seriously, I feel like the show’s fans are being gaslit. Let’s see how stupid we can go and still get them to like it!

And now I’m incredibly, morbidly curious—will Chato give even this a good review, or will he finally admit the emperor is naked and his royal dangly bits are swaying in the wind like a wrinkled, fleshy wind chime?

I don’t know if I can watch the rest of the episode now that it’s announced its intention to be the worst, most ridiculous, most insulting pile of s*** yet. I’ll give it the ol’ college try, but I can already feel my immune system rejecting it like Larry Hagman’s liver transplant.

They've proven time and again that they hate us, and that they have no originality or understanding of the material. Some people are either in denial or just slow on the uptake.

RMB is right. STAR TREK is the victim at the center of a hostage crisis. And yet some people keep trying to negotiate with those who took it hostage, despite mountains of evidence that they're untrustworthy and have no intention of giving it back.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back