Star Trek question - why did Troi not have a SF uniform?

As for Seven not wearing a uniform... well what kind of sense would that make? She wasn't in Starfleet (though you could argue that neither were the Maquis). But it wouldn't really seem right to liberate her from one collective and make her assimilate to another. That's like saying "the Borg are wrong because they remove your individuality forcefully... now let's force you into our BETTER collective and force you to look like the rest of us."

"You can wear anything you want now Seven... as long as it's one of the skin tight outfits we've allotted you replicator access to." :lol

But what if for the Mental Health Staff, that WAS their uniform? By dressing in a normal Starfleet outfit during her time on the bridge and then switching over to the civilian outfit would have sent mixed messages to the crew. She was the mental health expert on the ship, and she probably had people that came up to her during various times of the day. If she wore her Starfleet uniform, it would have told people to not to bother her while part of her job consisted of open interaction with the crew (I remember one time when Troi was walking, one of the crew members came up to her, walked and talked with her). By wearing a casual outfit for a majority of the day, it assured people that needed to talk that she was available to do so, even when she was on the bridge.

That really only deepens my point about wearing two different uniforms. When she's in the "normal" uniform she's 'On-Duty' and not available for non-command sessions. When she's in the "casual" uniform, she's available for walk-ups.

The point is pretty moot as she continues to wear the "normal" Starfleet uniform from Jelico in season 6 on through Voyager and the movies. Given this change, it's likely she probably SHOULD have been wearing the uniform and Picard was just lenient for the first six years.

firesprite said:
Starfleet is classed as a 'paramilitary' organization, more like a police agency (which uses ranks like Captain and Commander) than an actual military.

I don't think that's an 'official' classification (if anything, Starfleet seems to be classified as 'military' in the original series movies, notably 6, and more than serves that function in other series), but from a uniform perspective it doesn't matter if it's para-military or para-McDonalds - the question is: She's a Starfleet Officer but why is she exempt from a strict uniform policy? She's NOT a civilian, she's NOT an 'honorary' officer or some kind of non-exempt officer (like O'Brian), etc.

There's really only one explanation (in universe): Picard let her (for some reason).

Always loved this look:

l.jpg

There's really only one explanation (in universe): Picard let her (for some reason).

Wel that makes Picard a bit of a perv now doesn't it.

"Deanna, please wear this low cut number and come sit next to me."

"But I've got important appointments with people who really need my help."

"Please, make it so"

Last edited:
I'm inclined to believe that Troi didn't wear the uniform because Picard was lenient. She was just an exception, for some reason, and the casual look for counseling makes a lot of sense to me - but Picard didn't have to allow it.

Now, Beverly Crusher was always the attractive one to me. Like Wes, I'm partial to redheads. Ah well.

Yep, me too. That makes three of us now. :)

Four, I believe.:love

At least Beverly wore the uniform! Other than that, It does sort of make Troi, Seven and T'Pol the (un)intentional calendar girls of the shows!
I'm thinking about this more than I thougt I would, because now I'm wondering why Dr. Pulaski got to wear a uniform of unique tailoring!

It does sort of make Troi, Seven and T'Pol the (un)intentional calendar girls of the shows!

Oh I believe that that was FULLY intended:

seven_of_nine_jeri_ryan.jpg

f227128bfe50242d9fbd469fbf65f53d282e2a5b.jpg

I think that the problem was that after DS9 (where they brought Worf on in order to improve show ratings), that there wasn't a better idea for the other series than to add new calendar girls.

What mad less sense to me about Troi than her uniform, or lack thereof, was when she took a test to become Commander and became a line officer. She's the ship's counselor, she shouldn't in the chain of command at all, the lowest red-shirted ensign would get command before she did because they would be in the chain of command. If we're going by the idea that Starfleet doesn't have a delineated chain of command like we do then how come Crusher wasn't given command of the Enterprise in an emergency, after all, she's a Commander too and she's senior to Troi as well since she's been a Commander since at least the beginning of TNG.

As for the comfort of patients thing, wouldn't that also apply to Dr. Crusher then too? If a person would feel more comfortable talking to someone about their mental problems that's dressed more casually then wouldn't they feel equally more comfortable talking about their physical health problems to someone who is dressed more casually as well?

What mad less sense to me about Troi than her uniform, or lack thereof, was when she took a test to become Commander and became a line officer. She's the ship's counselor, she shouldn't in the chain of command at all, the lowest red-shirted ensign would get command before she did because they would be in the chain of command. If we're going by the idea that Starfleet doesn't have a delineated chain of command like we do then how come Crusher wasn't given command of the Enterprise in an emergency, after all, she's a Commander too and she's senior to Troi as well since she's been a Commander since at least the beginning of TNG.

Crusher WAS in command of the Enterprise a few times. In the same episode with Troi'sorigional promotion she was in command of the night shift and discusses why she became a bridge officer. Also, she had actual battle experience in Descent Part 2 - She was in command of the Enterprise during the fight with the Borg.

We also see that Troi's rank is NOT honorary in the episode Disaster when she takes command of the ship (being the senior ranking member on the bridge, out-ranking both O'Brian and Ro).

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back