Star Trek Next Generation (Data)

Risu

Master Member
I did some searching and didn't find anything particularly helpful on the forum, so I'm starting this thread. I want to put together a Data costume from season 3 of Next Gen. Not only is he my favorite character, but I think I have the right face for it (Once the makeup and contacts are on). I have a bunch of questions though, mostly about where the best places to acquire the pieces of the costume are. Sorry I'm asking so much all at once, I'm having trouble finding any useful information elsewhere.

First of all, the uniform pattern. I've seen them on Rodd.com and Kerezman's site. Now, we all know Kerezman, I've ordered from him myself and wasn't impressed with the shipping time, although the product was nice. Forgetting his customer service, which pattern is the BEST for the most screen accurate uniform?

Second is the badge and rank pips. Rodd is more expensive, but they also look really bad based on the pics on the site. Kerezman also carries them.

Third is the fabric. Rodd.com says to use wool gabberdine, and they link to a website for fabric, but all they seem to have is a wool/nylon blend. Is that the right stuff? Are the two colors I need the mustard and black? And finally, how much of each do I need for one uniform?

Fourth is color contacts. Are Data's just green iris's, or is there some kind of design on them? I'd like to know what the cheapest option is for these, but more important is the SAFEST option. I don't want to scratch up my eyes, I'd pay more money to avoid blindness.

And finally, as I know nothing about makeup, what does he have on his face? Is it just white face paint? Is there some kind of reflective powder on top? Why doesn't it smudge off on his uniform?

Huge thanks to anybody that can clue me in on some or all of these points.

And finally, as I know nothing about makeup, what does he have on his face? Is it just white face paint? Is there some kind of reflective powder on top? Why doesn't it smudge off on his uniform?

Huge thanks to anybody that can clue me in on some or all of these points.

I've never done a Data makeup, but you can probably lay on your base color with plain old greasepaint, then, instead of the usual translucent powder, "set" it with powdered pearl pigment from Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

As far as smudging, it probably did, they just had plenty of spare costumes for him between takes. :lol

Good Luck!

-Sarge

The book "Star Trek Aliens and Artifacts" goes into a great deal of detail about makeups and costumes (and to some extent props) on the latter versions of Star Trek

imageuploadimageo.jpg

I'd recommend picking up the book just to have in your library.

The page on Data says that his actual skin color is a beige base called "Shibui", with two kinds of powders - pale gold and bright gold - are mixed. Data's contact lenses are described as "yellow".

In the back of the book are step by step instructions for fans looking to copy the makeups... Rubies costumes and Ben Nye makeups are used. To create Data using these materials

- hair color Ben Nye Midnight Black (MB-1)
- Ben Nye Ultra Matte Foundation (CN-0) to entire face
- the cream base is set with Ben Nye Lumiere Luxe Powder. The Data color is a mix of Iced Gold (LX-2) with a small addition of Aztec Gold (LX-3).
- then the Starfleet pointed sideburns are added by sketching with a liner pencil or laying on crepe wool with spirit gum.

eocdata3dseasonuniforms.jpg

Last edited:
Data's eyes do appear to have some sort of pattern, polar grid or something, printed on them.

This is an enlargement of a publicity photo

dataeyes.jpg

datapublicity.jpg

Phase Pistol beat me to it. That book actually has a section in about doing Data's make-up for yourself.

As for contacts, you will need a prescription if you don't have one already. Even if you don't need corrective lenses, you still have to have an optometrist's okay to wear them. Otherwise, no one will sell them to you.

I worked on ST X, specifically figure-finishing on the Data body parts, and I was surprised how metallic gold his skin was. Unfortunately I cannot identify the color(s) by name specifically, as I didn't know them, but it was unmistakenly gold.

This was in my files labeled "Insurrection" but I don't remember him having the torn-away neck there... in any case this is representative of the films. He seems to have markings on the contact lenses here too.

datainsenh.jpg

Right. Data went nuts because he had been shot. His neck is the only visible sign of damage when he uncloaks himself and then disables the duckblind.

Maybe it wasn't so noticeable, or maybe it was just a repressed memory! (I know some people don't like the movie but I rather enjoyed it. Mostly.)

I thought Insurrection was pretty decent, and I do remember the neck damage. Thanks so much for all the info on the eyes and makeup. The pictures are going to be really helpful as well, and after seeing that one with the comm badge in it, I can tell that the one on Rodd.com is actually pretty accurate. I did know about the prescription, I'm just not sure how to go about that, or if health insurance covers that sort of thing. (The appointment, not the lenses themselves.) I'll probably look into that when I get more of the costume together. I've heard mixed reviews about the different sites that sell contacts, does anybody have any experience with any of them, good or bad?

Incidentally it's kind of weird how Brent Spiner has no earlobes whatsoever! :lol

Wonder if he had them surgically removed or something... :eek

Regards costumes, check out the Starfleet 1701st

http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/bstarfleet1701st

... I am "props quartermaster" over there. The board has sections on TNG costumes, including a "handbook" of tips and a forum where a lot of questions can be answered.

We have also worked with Roddenberry.com to improve their selections. For example they now offer very accurate TOS-move costume pins, buckes, and TOS patches, based partly on our input.

The TNG badges are available as a set by Rodd.com in resin, and these are quite accurate.

ktroddbadgespenult.jpg

Thanks for the link. I'm either going to pick up one of the individual badges or make my own, not sure yet. I want to make it out of metal and use a hard drive magnet to hold it in place. Even if it weighs a pound it won't go anywhere with one of those magnets holding it. It seems that everything on Rodd.com has been "fan approved", so that will probably be my main source.

Incidentally it's kind of weird how Brent Spiner has no earlobes whatsoever! :lol

Wonder if he had them surgically removed or something... :eek

It's a genetic thing. If I remember correctly from my high school bio class, there are attached and detached earlobes. His are attached, like mine.

Thanks for the link. I'm either going to pick up one of the individual badges or make my own, not sure yet. I want to make it out of metal and use a hard drive magnet to hold it in place. Even if it weighs a pound it won't go anywhere with one of those magnets holding it.

Keep in mind, even if you don't lose it, you may not want to make it out of metal as it will weigh down the costume and pull it down taking away from the streamlined look.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back