Star Trek Next Generation (Data)

Is your hair normally curly?

If I were to grow my hair out for another month or so without cutting it I would have Tom Baker's hair without touching it. It's a daily struggle to keep it looking professional/civilized.

Oh, and I picked up the boots today. Going to do a makeup test on my hand later to see if the powder seals the foundation well enough to handle things like a tricorder, brushing against the uniform, or holding a drink.

There's a hair product by Redken called Rewind that's a pretty good straightener. Let your hair almost dry, and blowdry it in. As Data has it slicked back, you can straighten then apply some product and you should be fine.

There's actually a decent chance I'll be debuting this at a small con in Minnesota. If not that, then DCon. I did go to the Vegas con a couple years ago, though.

The makeup test on my hand was interesting. I'm almost positive the recipe provided on a previous page was made up by that book and has no basis in the original makeup artist's method. The foundation won't sink into the wrinkles on my hands, and it won't apply heavily enough to make them look white. I also still haven't found a way of evenly applying the gold powder, a brush leaves a ton of it where it first lands and barely any elsewhere. It can be spread out to a degree with repetitive brushing, but it's still not perfect. The lighter of the two gold powders isn't even a powder, it's just glitter and it doesn't stick. I'll ask some female friends of mine about how I might better apply the foundation, but the gold powder issue is problematic. I also need to find some kind of makeup sealer, because that stuff comes off on everything.

So I randomly came across this yesterday while searching for makeup upgrades. I've been Dressing as data for a few years now and had always just figured it out on my own so I started looking for someone that might have a faster or better way than myself.

Here is what I've leared after several years.
1. wearing this at a con is very different than a photo shoot or even on set. When speaking with Brent he told me they took the jackets off every change they got and he had people adjusting his makeup every shot.

So its always going to get on your jacket. It will fade and crack as the day goes on. The creme is oil based and spreads easy but gets everywhere so the solution is the 'set powder' which essentially dies it up. That keep is from getting everywhere except now it cracks and flakes.

People are going to offer all kinds of "solutions" to your makeup problems so just don't bring up the subject. If you want to try, after the powder you can apply hairspray. This is suposed to make it stick to you so it doesn't flake and crack. What happens though, is your skin sticks to things and this pulls the makeup off.

You might also be suggested to wipe your skin before applying or you can buy a pre-spray that prepares your skin for makeup. This somewhat works but boy are you going to hate life afterwords. These methods dry your skin and remove all existing oil so thats nice for makeup but hard on the skin.

As makeups go Data is the easy one because its largely just the face but your neck is where you will encounter all your problems. The only 'real' advice I can offer you is simply this :posture.
Don't twist your neck, don't let your neck come in contact with your collar. Don't touch your face. Don't touch people.
All this will help. It will make you move strangly and somewhat Android like so you might even be accused of acting the part.

2. Don't sweat the small stuff.
After years of costume work one thing I've noticed is people don't notice the small things. As long as your shoes are black no one will notice they arn't the starfleet issued dress shoes. I have been known to just wear black jeans to be comfortable and no one noticed. Where it matters is pictures you care about.

Tip: Don't paint the insides of your hands, just the out. No one is going to notice and this will allow you to touch things like your costume. Even the best avoidance tactics can't overcome the need to unzip your fly in the bathroom. :)

3. Props! Get them, have them, use them, love them.
Make sure you sew in a loop on your pants so you can clip them somewhere. Props are cool and complete an outfit but you will want to free up your hands at some point. Holster or clip work. I'd suggest 1 prop at a time because typically people want to get a picture with you and it becomes awkward if you have both hands full, do you put your tricorder or phaser behind their back...

4. Attention.
Be ready for it. If you go to a large con every few feet people will ask for your picture. Presumably this is why you dressed up. I first dressed up because I thought it would be fun and other people did it, I was not quite prepared. Mostly it means you'll move very slowly about the con.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer.
Good luck!

Thanks! That's a really good idea to not paint my palms. As it is the makeup barely affects my hands compared to my face. I might need to switch from the foundation to something more dramatic though. Can you share what type of paint/grease makeup you use? Also solutions for applying the gold powder would be really helpful, I can't seem to make it even.

Hell of a first post Solithan! :thumbsup

Welcome. :)

Another pro-tip. Put the contacts in before you apply makeup. You don't want that stuff in your eyes!

Yea. I just have to get the damn things in at all, that's my biggest concern. After I'm done rushing for my next con I'm scheduling an eye doctor appointment to get my eyes measured. The contacts didn't require it, but they're one size and I guess I need to make sure they're compatible and I'm not just wasting my time trying to put them in when they'll never stick.

Tip: Don't paint the insides of your hands, just the out. No one is going to notice and this will allow you to touch things like your costume. Even the best avoidance tactics can't overcome the need to unzip your fly in the bathroom. :)

I wonder if you could could make some form fitting gloves with fake fingernails that would look close enough so you wouldn't have to make up your hands. Plasti-dip maybe? Some kind of white rubber or latex probably would work. And you might be able to embed the gold powder in it as well, before it dries. Just spit-balling.

Yea. I just have to get the damn things in at all, that's my biggest concern. After I'm done rushing for my next con I'm scheduling an eye doctor appointment to get my eyes measured. The contacts didn't require it, but they're one size and I guess I need to make sure they're compatible and I'm not just wasting my time trying to put them in when they'll never stick.

My trick for putting contacts on is to not use the tip of my finger but the sides and arrange the contact in such a way as to minimize contact with my finger, I find that it comes off easier that way. I also find that it helps when the contact is nice and wet with solution, if I have trouble with putting them on I just wet it and try again. It also helps to prop your eyes open with you free hand an making sure your lashes are out of the way, the more of your eye you have exposed the easier it is to get them in.

Cool idea to make Data, he kind of reminds me of the androids from the Alien/Prometheus movies like David 8 and Bishop.

Contacts,... Well lets just say I've bought them and have the exact same issue you do. I can't get them in. LOL

In my several years of doing this exactly 2 people have noticed. So, in my opinion, its a small thing I wouldn't worry. Just keep trying like I do.
And YES put them in first with clean fingers.

Eyeliner is something I have issues with as well, but it really completes the look if you can pull it off.

Getting the makeup close to your eye is always a challenge. I got it too close one time while dressing up for the premier of the new trek movie and it actually dripped into my eye. Watching the movie with a white haze was annoying :(

The flaw with gloves is, they never look quite right no matter what you try. Its better than no paint but now you have to deal with a Con wearing gloves and thats a pain. Could just be a personal prefference but I prefer to see someone painted then to see a body suit and gloves.

The plasti-dip is a neat idea but it will have the same issues as latex paint in that it will stick to things and peel. While you could get a neat effect here it wouldnt' match with your face so it would look strange. As an FYI you can suspend color, even gold flecks, in pasti-dip.

I'll post again when I get home and I'll tell you exactly what I use, but I'm not totally satisfied with it so keep that in mind. I found this board while looking for a better way :) I think the real solution is a mix between what you are trying and what I am doing, so hopefully together we'll perfect it.

So the powder you are using is a colored Set Powder, its designed to make the creme foundation base dry and stay in place. I use a set powder but its a clear to white powder. Your powder contains your gold color so what is happening is that your white base is getting its color in only the places your set powder is hitting. You're having a hard time getting it evenly applied. To resolve this issue load your fluffy brush with your set powder(should be a mix of light gold a touch of dark gold) and with your finger fan the bristles toward your face. This should spray the powder from a distance to you. You'll lose a lot too. This scatter effect should help you get it more even across your face. It will also avoid getting loose bristles into your makeup.

What I am going to try is adding some gold to my white/clear powder so I can apply several coats of powder to add in the gold color. Feel free to try the same.

I don't own a gold set powder(yet) so how do I get the gold color?
I actually add a light yellow creme into my base white to give it some color. Pure white looks awful and clown like totally wrong.

The oddity that happens when I do it, is I can look a little green on camera. The white-yellow makeup next to the black hair can cause a greenish hue. Its weird. Also the black hairspray can accidentally get mixed into your base creme and that will look bad as well so be careful.

You talked about your curly hair. Lucky for 4th doctor, I have to wear a wig :( Unlucky for data. But you didn't mention your hair color I don't think. I use a temporary black hairspray. You'll need someone to help you if you go this route. Lots of hair gel.

I had a very sureal conversation with Brent when I met him. He looked at me and said "they did the same thing to your hair as they did to mine!"
I must have given him a funny look because I was thinking 'that was the idea' LOL he went on to explain that we both had blonde hair and it was pulled back and colored. I still take it as a great compliment that I "got it right"

It is nice when an actor recognizes when we go to great length to replicate their character.

I wonder if you could could make some form fitting gloves with fake fingernails that would look close enough so you wouldn't have to make up your hands. Plasti-dip maybe? Some kind of white rubber or latex probably would work. And you might be able to embed the gold powder in it as well, before it dries. Just spit-balling.

I was thinking about this some more. I may have dismissed your idea too quickly. It occured to me that if you really wanted to get into some cosplay having a glove apperatus would allow you to do some fun things. Isn't there an episode that data lifts his fingernail to do something? or was that lore...

It could be fun, but it would be extraordinarly difficult to pull this off and way beyond the basics. I'd sooner suggest going with battle damage and having exposed circuts.

Thing about the data character is he's very rare so there is very little need to take your costume to the next level to set it apart from others.

Allrigth, I've been a long time lurker and I'm an absolute newbie, but contact lenses are something I can talk about ;)

Maybe my step-by-step plan helps you too (took me hours to put those little bastards in before I worked it out...):

First, wash your hands... Use mild soap and wash it away with clear water.
Then wet your finger (the one you use to put the lense in) with the solution the lenses are in. With your free hand widen your eyes: Lay the middlefinger over your bottom lashes and pull the lid down and tear the upper lid up with the forefinger. This way your lashes don't interfere. Then just put the lense in...(sounds easy, I know ;)) It helps not to look at the lense... Focuss your eye in the mirror to distract yourself.

The rest is practise.

Wish you good look and looking forward to see the finished costume. I love Data ;)

That's been the consensus of most of the people I've asked, is to not look at the lens.

Solithan, I've got dark brown hair. If I put gel in it it gets darker and looks like Data's. I've never thought his hair was black at all, just dark brown. If it was black it would really starkly contrast his face.

As for the makeup, I look forward to it. The gold powder I have isn't described as set powder, so I'm not sure if it is. The foundation sure as hell comes off all over everything, even after I've applied the powder. Also the lighter of the two gold powders is basically just glitter and I would consider it unusable.

There are some shots, mainly the publicity photo that show his hair to be brown but I think its actually black. By Brent's admission his hair was Blonde so they colored it in some way.

The pictures listed here in this link on page 2 show black hair. I suspect you can get away with "dark".

Oh, it doesn't say set powder? I'll post again when I get home and give you the exact details of what I own. If you wouldnt mind doing the same we can compare notes.

I've got the stuff recommended early in this thread.

Ben Nye Ultra matte foundation (really pale)
Ben Nye Lumiere Luxe powder Aztec Gold (this is the darker powder)
Ben Nye Lumiere Luxe powder Iced Gold Sparkle (lighter glitter)

I'll put some on in the coming days and take a picture. I was going to wait until I got the contacts in to take one, but that could be a while.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back