Star Trek Next Generation (Data)

I could be having a faulty memory on this, but wouldn't Vaderman be a good person to ask about this?

I could be totally off base, though....my memory ain't what it used to be...

T

Vaderman wasn't just an actor. Yeah, he did some extra work, but he was responsible for making sure they didn't screw up continuity. He worked directly with Roddenberry.

Respect!

...Okay, I've been drinking.

Wasn't Vaderman also a Stand-In for Brent Spiner throughout the series as well?! He seems like the perfect guy to ask (unless we could get Mr. Westmore himself here, lol)

OK, I took a long break from this project to work on Who stuff and now I'm back. I got a comm badge from Rodd.com at a convention, so I got to pick out one I liked out of a large box, which was cool of them to let me do. I'm going to be getting my uniform patterns and rank pips from them as well. Right now I'm trying to find boots, keeping an eye out on ebay and stuff, but I can't remember what kind of boots they are. I remember that there was a good view of the soles in the episode where Geordi and the Romulan were stuck on that planet together, but I don't think I've ever seen a good shot of the upper. I've got a pair of Solo boots that will work, but are needlessly uncomfortable, as they are Solo boots.

Also curious about the fabric still. Is the website linked from Rodd.com the best source for fabric, or should I get some white wool gabberdine and use the dye mixture (which people don't seem to be 100% sure of) on the 1701st forum?

Hey Risu, glad you're getting back into this. I've been meaning to do this costume for years but just haven't had the money or time.

Rodd.com is the way to go pattern wise, I'd also suggest checking out the costume guide they have for sale on their site (it's for the 1st season jumpsuit and skants, but has some good tips on how to achieve proper colours.)

Go with a wool gab, it's worth the money for quality and accuracy to what was on screen. I can't remember where I read it, but there is a bias tape you can pick up that are matches for each of the division colours if you want to go with a dye job. I'll have to pull the packages out a bit later and get back to you on what they are.

Also, check out this site for construction details (suggested by Rodd.com, and a couple other people I've talked with) http://www.startrekuniformguide.com/index2.html

-Tyler

ps. if I remember correctly, Kerezman actually made the patterns sold by rodd.com so they should be the same as from his site.

Just went through my box-o-crap and found the bias tape - it's Wrights brand, specifically Gold, Berry, and Lt. Teal for the division colours for matching the dyed fabric. Also, if you want I can pull out that book and reprint the dye recipes suggested so you don't have to pick it up.

-Tyler

This is my original Dana Vitatoe stand in Data costume from "Datalore" It does have signs of much more use than being used once, plus it has had tags removed. I've measured it to a a friends Brent Spiner and it is a perfect match. Came from IAW auction.

Cool costume!

Yes, any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, a confirmation on whatever dye recipe you have if you've tested it would be cool. Apparently there's some confusion as to the correct recipe.

I haven't tried the dye recipe yet, so no confirmation on it's accuracy. Keep us updated on this, I'm excited to see this develop. I'm gonna do a season 3+ TNG uniform one day... been so long since I've actively researched this costume that my information is 3-4 years old at least.

This is my original Dana Vitatoe stand in Data costume from "Datalore" It does have signs of much more use than being used once, plus it has had tags removed. I've measured it to a a friends Brent Spiner and it is a perfect match. Came from IAW auction.
That's a later season uniform (possibly season 4 or later to my eye). Datalore was season one, so I'd wager that costume is from another episode. Descent perhaps?

Regardless, it's a really nice costume. Colour me jealous. :)

So any word on the boots? This is the best shot I've found rewatching the series, but these are Ro's boots. Not sure if the men and women wore the same kind, but it's not that good a shot anyways.

TNGboots.jpg

From one of the people I knew who worked in the wardrobe department, they were Hanover plain-toe dress boots. Since Hanover's been absorbed by Clarke-Bostonian and those boots are no longer made under that name/SKU, not sure how much that helps you find something nowadays.

--Jonah

Well, it's a start, thanks! What's more important to me is just a good picture so that I can find an off-brand close enough.

Back from the dead. I've been watching some episodes the last few days and I think this is going to be one of my costumes for DCon next year. I'm a little torn on which costume I'd like to make though, the season 3, or later seasons. The biggest and most notable difference is that the season 3 uniforms had seams running up the front and back on either side right through the gold. The one on the left ran through the point, so it was obviously to ease construction. They streamline them later, removing the seams. The other difference I've noticed is that the season 3 uniform jackets fit slimmer. The later jackets are baggy and poof out at the waist. Now personally I like the look of the seams, but the average fan might think they don't belong there because they never noticed them. I also like the slimmer fit, but the same thing applies. People are used to seeing the baggy version. Does anybody have an opinion? If you saw a season 3 costume at a con, would you recognize it for what it was, or just think it's a little off?

I'm really excited to say that I've made some progress on this costume. I'll be buying a pair of pretty accurate boots in the LA garment district either tomorrow or at the new year, and they only cost $30. The downside is that they're vinyl. But for $30 I'm happy enough. Besides, who's to say that a replicator spits out anything made from real leather?

Also, I got all the makeup elements as Xmas gifts. The foundation, gold powders, and yellow contacts. I did a fairly promising test application of the makeup, but am less than thrilled to say that having never even put in eye drops before, I spent an hour tonight in the bathroom failing to put in the contacts. Any sage advice on sticking your finger in your eye without blinking would be appreciated, although I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

All that's left now is to find a way of slicking my hair back without it curling up, buy the wool gabardine, and of course make the costume itself. Compared to the contacts I'm calling that the easy part.

Any sage advice on sticking your finger in your eye without blinking would be appreciated, although I'm sure I'll get it eventually.
It's hard the first time! No-one gets the hang of it the first time, I've been wearing contacts for half my life but I can still remember the first day, being in my friends bathroom for about an hour trying to get the lenses in. Just have patience, and if you're really not sure, have your eye doctor give you some advice.

All that's left now is to find a way of slicking my hair back without it curling up, buy the wool gabardine, and of course make the costume itself. Compared to the contacts I'm calling that the easy part.
Is your hair normally curly?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back