Star Trek Insurrection Engineering PADD Build

Blackfalcan

A few months back I saw one of these PADD's go up for auction on eBay. It was the first time I'd seen this design, and since I really love building these things, I set out to add one to the collection.
Untitled-1.jpg

I built it out of the typical 1/8 " laser cut acrylic, but I REALLY didn't feel like trying to paint all the detail. Luckily for me, a family member recently purchased a very nice vinyl cutting machine. So, I made the appropriate files, and got started.

20180929_164219.jpg
Base paint on - it was way too shiny. This led to a matte clear coat, which had a bad reaction with the black paint. Agh! It was a mess.

20181015_200951.jpg
First set of vinyl overlays on the front.

20181015_201013.jpg
This is the complete pattern for the back. I will remove part of the silver and replace it with gold later. The reason for this is that by applying all of the lines simultaneously I was able to keep the spacing perfect.

At this point, I have all the vinyl applied, and all three layers glued together. My first batch of screen images came back the wrong size, so I have to have them reprinted. I will add more photos in a few days when I get the new prints.

20181029_195144.jpg

Finally got my screen graphics done, and now I don't think I like them! I didn't like the original design either, so I came up with this ... back to the drawing board I guess :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back