Star Lord helmet AND accessories!!! by Helagak!

Hazardjsimpson , have you tried looking on http://www.3dhubs.com/ for someone local to print for you? This could reduce deliver fees and speed up the turn around time. This is a community that Valcrow recommended when he did a 3d print of Obi Wan's Lightsaber. Hope this helps.

The Cog,
thanks for the link, theres one near me. I may have to give it a shot and have the mask and rockets made.

Well, it looks like the issue with my slicing for the printing was with Slic3r. I changed the slicing to Cura and no more issues! Also, Cura really cuts down on printing times. I'm glad I looked into this. I can't believe it took me a year of 3D printing to figure this out....:facepalm
Thanks again Helagak!

I'm working on getting the lighting right behind the lenses, and I swear there was a post of two of people trying different pairings of colored lights/lenses... but I can't find it!

What are you all using? I'm planning on red acrylic lenses (since they always seem to be red in production stills, lit up or not - despite what I saw in person on the helmet).
But what color lights? White? Yellow? Orange?

I THINK what they did was an etched blue lens with the pattern on it, then a ring of red LEDs, then a clear lens on the outside. What I'm curious about it how you'd make it and maintain visibility, but also not have your eyes visible through the lenses.

Hi, first time poster here... Firstly just wanted to say the community here seems to be really helpful and full of some pretty talented people, so I hope it's alright to ask a couple of somewhat silly questions in regards to 3D printing. I've decided to pay someone on 3D Hubs to do a print of the mask. Big thank you to Helagak for creating and providing these to everyone also :) I wanted to suss out what you would all expect this print to roughly cost / should be expected to pay. I understand it can vary based on turnaround time and the quality of the printer I assume?

I just wanted to be 100% sure of what I'm doing before I send it off to someone and pay them to print it all for me. Will I need to provide them with the correct scaling as some users have mentioned earlier (I don't have the biggest head). Also, what kind of paints should I start researching in order to get it going after it's printed? I hope that all makes sense, thanks again for the help!

:D

I've spent a couple of hours removing the pipes from the cheeks, and adjusting the size of the bottom two to be more accurate. I've made a real hash of it, but it should be printable, let me know if anyone wants a copy.

Modified Cheek.png

I THINK what they did was an etched blue lens with the pattern on it, then a ring of red LEDs, then a clear lens on the outside. What I'm curious about it how you'd make it and maintain visibility, but also not have your eyes visible through the lenses.

From what I saw the outer lenses were the blue ones. Which makes no sense to me visually. Plus on set stills show red lenses even under bright light, which you simply won't get through backlighting.

Thus my plan to use red lenses, because it'll give the final appearance we want (which is always the end goal right?). Just gotta figure out the lights. Wish I could just try a bunch of colors!

Thank you. Looks good. I'll try printing it soon. You don't have a separate file for the tubes do you? Or were just planing on doing them in another material?
I was going to wait to see how the print of the cheeks went before starting on them. I've had some trouble with my printer jamming the past couple of days. Think I've got some dodgy filament.
I might work on it during lunch. I was thinking of slicing them lengthways so you can print two halves of each and stick them together, so there will be no need for support. Could also print them in a higher resolution so they come out nicer.

I was going to wait to see how the print of the cheeks went before starting on them. I've had some trouble with my printer jamming the past couple of days. Think I've got some dodgy filament.
I might work on it during lunch. I was thinking of slicing them lengthways so you can print two halves of each and stick them together, so there will be no need for support. Could also print them in a higher resolution so they come out nicer.
Ah, sounds awesome. I'll try printing one of these right away. They still need to be sized 0.88% right? Were you planing on printing it standing up or laying down?

Hope your printer is OK!

The scale is Helagaks default scale, so yes you will need to bring it down to 88%.

Not sure of their orientation yet, probably need a bit of trial an error to see which orientation gets the best final result.

Ok, so its printing!

I turned it in a bit, trying to make the top of the holes for the tubes a bit easier to print. Lets see how it turns out. I'll post pictures when its done.

k14w54xl.png

I printed the cheeks already and they came out reasonably cleanly, but I like the version sans-tubes, too. I might print those out and try hand-fabricating the tubes just to get a bit more detail in there. Thanks for sharing it.

There we go. Printed out one, here is a comparison to the normal version:

jYNIdoIl.jpg

I really liked it so I printed out both! Thanks Jonny!

Is it just me, or does the corner of the cheek (using the photo in Kadows' post above, the bottom right corner) actually clip into the respirator mouthpiece? I want to just confirm that's the way the model is, and that I'm not printing warped or mis-sized parts.

Edit: When I say 'clip', I mean intersect such that they would both want to occupy the same space and needs to be filed down some, not as in 'snap together' or anything. Just want to be clear.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does the corner of the cheek (using the photo in Kadows' post above, the bottom right corner) actually clip into the respirator mouthpiece? I want to just confirm that's the way the model is, and that I'm not printing warped or mis-sized parts.

You are correct, I used Netfabb to place the pieces together and there is an overlap. See below

Cheek Overlap.png

Okay, so i've downloaded the mask files and imported them into blender (Btw i am a noob at using blender) but when i do that they are all in a big pile facing different directions to each other. any help at all ? Btw great work with the 3d models :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back