Star Destroyer Devastator - ANH Style Replica

Sean! You showed me a kit. You didn't say you were scratch building a studio scale! Awesome work as always man! Looking forward to another 30hr layover at KDEN to see it in person!

Tracy

Thank You All!! Really appreciate it!
Wulf - It will be about 4' long, same as original.

Here's a quick update on a couple areas. I scratch built the 'X Antenna' again, there were a few minor details like the ribs were too thick (.020 as opposed to .015 now), and I realized there are no ribs on the 'bottom/rear' of the antenna on the original, and I corrected a few more parts. So this should now pretty accurately reflect the original Antenna array. Also, I pretty much completed the hangar bay with lighting. It is set to a remote dimmer, so I can change the brightness quite a bit to adjust to room lighting. Funny thing, the Bandai Blockade Runner kit fits almost perfectly in the bay - so I'll be making some way to add/remove it in there.

Antv02.jpg
Antv02a.jpg
Antv2.jpg
Antv2b.jpg
DB1.jpg
DB2.jpg
DB2a.jpg
DB2b.jpg
DB3.jpg
DB4.jpg
DB11.jpg
db12.jpg

Most of the hangar is cast resin (from parts I designed in 3D that were based on an initial pattern put together by John Currila and revised by me). Sean did an excellent job of building things like the crane which is one part I did not include when I made the final patterns for this subject.

Last edited:
This is unbelievable!!! I want to scratch build an accurate 'Devastator, but am finding it hard to find out what bash models were used. IS there somewhere that lists the models used to bash it? Thanks for any help people can give.

There are some threads to be found here in the studio-scale forum and on studioscalemodelers.com. If you're on Facebook you can see some photos of the pattern development work I did here:

Thanks very much!!! Appreciate all the kind comments!!
Been a little slow going, but progress continues. Scratch built up the engine bells with the L'Eggs Eggs and T channel - that was actually a lot of fun. Especially making the really thin outer 'ring'. Pretty ingenious the way the original model builders made this super thin styrene strip with little styrene rectangles, then glued it in just the right diameter to the T channels, leaving that really iconic gap between the egss and the ring.
With those now done, moved back to the port body underside adding all the little chips, panels and such. A few parts are just placed on in these pics for size checking. It's really a Zen like effort hand cutting all those little chips. Should be moving onto the starboard side soon, then things will finish up pretty quick under here.

Engine Bells:

First set of 'T-Channel'

Eng1.jpg

Second rows of T-Channels

Eng2.jpg

All 3 'bells' with the thin styrene ring

Eng3.jpg

Two primered in black, and one painted in final white.

Eng7.jpg

Painted Bell

Eng8.jpg
Eng9.jpg

Jeepers Sean. I’m surprised ILM haven’t offered you a job yet. You do the work of six people...
Probably because ILM barely make any model at all nowadays (and the few they make are mostly 3d prints)
But indeed, that's very impressive work, making those three bells with all the t-track evenly spaced must have taken forever

Probably because ILM barely make any model at all nowadays (and the few they make are mostly 3d prints)
But indeed, that's very impressive work, making those three bells with all the t-track evenly spaced must have taken forever

I was pleasantly surprised to see that The Razorcrest from The Mandalorian is a motion captured model (there is a behind the scenes video on YouTube). I think they add digital motion blur that to me makes it still look like CGI, but I’m thankful they went this route all the same.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back