ST:TNG PADD, anybody recognize it?

Cygnostik

This looks to me like a PADD that a replica maker took a good deal of creative liberty with. Though its suggested due to how it was acquired it could easily be a screen used prop. I certainly don't recognize it. Usually pretty sharp with these things but there's so much it's easy to miss stuff.

http://shots.balboatech.com/image/3B3q302l2908

Anyone have thoughts?

Looks close - but not exact - to one I acquired from SDStudios about 13 years ago

stngpadd1.jpg

Very close. Nice PADD. Did the stuff on the back happen to be engraved or the like? This one has the usual 'label' on the back and top center a UFP logo, kind of seemed unusual.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed reply, I had to get my daughter to send me a picture of it as it is at her house.

No, the SDS version I have, while looking identical to the prop you mentioned as far as materials (appears to be bead blasted aluminum) and overall design, does not have any sticker or logo on the back. What it does have is what appears to be two holes drilled into it, one near the top about a third of the way down and one near the bottom about a third of the way up. There are four Phillips head screws, one at each corner, which hold the "sandwich" of the metal front and back together. Other than that, no detail on the back.

M

Also very interesting. Thanks. Can't wait to get my hands on this one. Even more curious now what these are based on.

Here's the back with the supposedly engraved treatments;

paddback.JPG

Dimensions of the classic red labels looks pretty off here. It's so big.

I'd say the use of green in the LCARS is a dead giveaway that this is a fan-made replica. That plus the label being the wrong width/height ratio, using a different font in the small print... cool looking item, probably a lot better condition than any scree-used would be, but inaccurate.

Usually figure they'd have a type or something in mind as inspiration, wish I knew what it was for this one, it is still pretty impressive. Solid, heavy, cold to the touch. Supposed to be fiberglass, it feels metallic. Green though... Who comes up with these color choices? Haha, I mean post TOS movies I recall seeing some green in... Nemesis, but I don't even like to consider that canon. ;-D

Closer shot for the fun of it.
FullSizeRender.jpg

A lot of those were made around 2000-2001. They are fan made replicas, and yes they took some liberties with them. It's a three piece construction. Front and back aluminum plates with a plastic middle section. The SNDN and UPF detailing on the back are laser etched inserts, countersunk into the back ate. The whole thing is just pressure fit, you can pop it right open. The graphic is just a printed piece of paper that you can remove or change. I had a number of these back in the day. They made a red one too. I even remember the lady's name I got all mine from, weird. What I did with mine was make my own set of graphics with a much more authentic look and feel to them and the results were great. These aren't so rare, although certainly less common now. Not totally accurate, but a very high quality replica.

Sounds like a solid construction. I'd be tempted to swap in a different graphic display and enjoy the heck out of it. Well made, photographs beautifully... what's not to like?

I was digging through some of my prop paperwork and found a few other graphics inserts designed for those padds. If anyone is I retested I could make some color photocopies and send em out.

There were many more of them, I wish I had made copies of each design and that I had kept my modified graphics that I designed for these too.

Last edited:
I was digging through some of my prop paperwork and found a few other graphics inserts designed for those padds. If anyone is I retested I could make some color photocopies and send em out.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z418/kertratz/1654726F-5632-467F-BD6D-C47792CCF305.jpg

Those graphics are very cool. Also on the odd color scheme. I'd be tempted but I'd be nervous about trying to crack it open. Then I'd also feel obligated to find a replacement for the plastic sheet inside since it is a little scuffed.

Nothing to crack open, it's just a pressed fit. The plastic mid section has male ends that go I to the recessed front and back aluminum plates. Inside there is the graphic and a clear plastic sheet over the graphic.

It's an idiom, and fairly accurate since you're splitting it open but while the back pops right off the front not so much and it looks like someone tried before and put a gash in the front plate. Hopefully I could avoid that. Just a little uneasy.

How much to get a copy or two?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back