Luke's Lightsaber Mando series finale.

110% on board with you seth

Seth I have a question for you, in all your experience have you ever seen a wardrobe depart keep props with the costume?

example. If Hamill’s costume goes in the wardrobe would the lightsaber go with it?

just had a wonder today about it.. nothing really the helps me theorizing just a general question
During production, no. Everything is kept separate. The props and wardrobe needs would be coordinated by the same person, but they (usually the first AD or somebody in their department) would coordinate what piece needed to be where and when.

But AFTER a project has wrapped it is possible. Rented stuff goes back, studio owned stuff is returned to lock up, custom made stuff might stay with the prop team, or the studio might claim it, people could walk off with it, or it could go into storage if the studio felt there was a chance of it being re-used. In the case of Lucasfilm, they have their own archives as we all know, and EVERYTHING goes into it. They do so much promotional and museum tour work they definitely pair props with costumes (sometimes legit, sometimes copies as we've seen.)

So it could certainly happen once a movie is wrapped.

What if…that Rylo saber belongs to Hamill/is his private saber? Using in on-screen makes it a very valuable item…

During production, no. Everything is kept separate. The props and wardrobe needs would be coordinated by the same person, but they (usually the first AD or somebody in their department) would coordinate what piece needed to be where and when.

But AFTER a project has wrapped it is possible. Rented stuff goes back, studio owned stuff is returned to lock up, custom made stuff might stay with the prop team, or the studio might claim it, people could walk off with it, or it could go into storage if the studio felt there was a chance of it being re-used. In the case of Lucasfilm, they have their own archives as we all know, and EVERYTHING goes into it. They do so much promotional and museum tour work they definitely pair props with costumes (sometimes legit, sometimes copies as we've seen.)

Thank you seth!

Maybe… but it is on the table with all the other weapons and props in the armory with the prop master..

If it were Hamill’s I don’t think it would be kept with everything else
Makes sense, completely forgot that it was lying on the table.

I imagine the Lucasfilm Archives looks something like this by now:lol:
1629987828436.png

I love watching research happen here! I haven't been following this thread closely since I'm trying to stay out of the minutia on EVERY saber that exists lol! :)

Maybe this has already been made clear, but why does it seem so likely that production would have scanned an existing replica? (Rylo) This saber doesn't have anything particularly elaborate shape-wise. With a few decent photos and/or a replica and caliper in hand, it would not take more than a couple hours to model this in 3d with very good (not RPF level) accuracy. We're not dealing with replicating oddly spaced hand lathed ribs here, and its those minutia that would be prohibitive to make from scratch. It seems to me that someone whipping one up in 3d is more likely than actually scanning a replica, then cleaning up the scan for print/CAD. That's assuming that the studio wanted to build all new props, rather than use existing pieces or replicas. Am I missing something?

I love watching research happen here! I haven't been following this thread closely since I'm trying to stay out of the minutia on EVERY saber that exists lol! :)

Maybe this has already been made clear, but why does it seem so likely that production would have scanned an existing replica? (Rylo) This saber doesn't have anything particularly elaborate shape-wise. With a few decent photos and/or a replica and caliper in hand, it would not take more than a couple hours to model this in 3d with very good (not RPF level) accuracy. We're not dealing with replicating oddly spaced hand lathed ribs here, and its those minutia that would be prohibitive to make from scratch. It seems to me that someone whipping one up in 3d is more likely than actually scanning a replica, then cleaning up the scan for print/CAD. That's assuming that the studio wanted to build all new props, rather than use existing pieces or replicas. Am I missing something?
Short answer

because it’s cheaper to scan something and Cnc it up, then it is to make it from scratch

grabbed a random luke saber from someone working on set and done

If one does have access to a scanner it is very easy and preferable to give a modeler that digital reference to clean up than to start from scratch/ photo reference… TheRPF has been doing this for YEARS and in some cases it does take years to get it right. It is not fast or easy to get THAT accurate to a Rylo from a photo without having one in hand.

Perhaps they wanted a transitional version or a new version for the show? Or if they had new tech and specific requirements?

IMO the Hero AND the ROS Tri ring positions were badly thought out from a belt hanging perspective… I’d look at a new hilt if I had the options.
It’s even possible that the specific eyes in production didn’t like the look of TLJ/ROS and preferred to recreate what they did have on hand (not the ROTJ Hero clearly).

lots of possibility

Last edited:
How far off are the existing lightsabers from say Galaxy's Edge? are they just so far off from the other screen used props that they wouldnt even bother to use them since they would be easily accessible to them.

How far off are the existing lightsabers from say Galaxy's Edge? are they just so far off from the other screen used props that they wouldnt even bother to use them since they would be easily accessible to them.
Galaxy’s edge Luke hero is its own terrible thing. Doesn’t match anything:lol:
Can’t speak for the other legacy hilts.

Short answer

because it’s cheaper to scan something and Cnc it up, then it is to make it from scratch

grabbed a random luke saber from someone working on set and done
Yeah, I get that. Just thinking that with something simple like this saber, it's faster to model from scratch than to clean up a 3d scan. The shapes and lines are all geometric, and scans tend to be challenging in these areas and require cleanup/rebuild. (note that 3d scanning is NOT my area of expertise, but I'm fairly experienced with 3d modeling). If I were given the option, I'd build from scratch in 3d, preferably WITH replica and caliper in hand. We agonize over nuance here, that's where the extra zillion hours come in - replicating uneven rings and such. A cylinder with some ribs is what they have here. :)

Certainly something that's already made is fast, but from making scratch in 3d, 2 hours max. I have no idea what they actually did though, just speculating of course! I just make stuff in my house. ;)

Most replicas of the OT saber (up until the recent ones) had their own inaccuracies. Finding a new prop with those same inaccuracies suggests some lineage to the artist who came up with that design too

Galaxy Edge sabers are TOYS. They look the part to the average consumer, but are not accurate, the Luke one especially. They also have zero of the technology, strength, battery power, or functionality needed for production and stunt work.

I don't know if this was discussed previously, but wasn't it a Rylo that was being marketed as an original prop by a "Elstree Props" years ago? I'm wondering if the prop team did a little research, saw that, and used it as their reference.

I don't know if this was discussed previously, but wasn't it a Rylo that was being marketed as an original prop by a "Elstree Props" years ago? I'm wondering if the prop team did a little research, saw that, and used it as their reference.
that is a very good possibility, but a few members here are now working for production, they know better lol most of the time the main reason is money. what ever the cheapest way possible is

if a member had a Rylo its far easier for them to use that then it is to buy or source replicas

I’m under the impression there is 2 buildings but I’ve never seen the second one talked about so I don’t know if that’s real or not

There are several "Archives".
There is the original Archive building at Skywalker Ranch, that was enlarged in the 90's (I believe) because it was getting too cramped.
During the Prequels, another overflow archive was set up in the Napa area, and this is where the majority of prequel stuff went.
And then there is the Disney Archive.

When George made the deal with Disney, he sold them the companies (ILM & Lucasfilm), the proprietary technology and the intellectual properties for his films. However, George kept all the physical properties like Skywalker Ranch, the Archives (and all their contents) as well the Letterman complex where ILM lives. (Side note: Disney owns ILM, but is paying rent to George because he still owns the buildings they are in).

So Disney doesn't have any of the original props from the first 6 films - only the props from the films that they've made. George still owns all the original stuff.
I'm certain that Disney is granted access to the archives for reference; but to the best of my knowledge, they don't get to use any of it.
That's why all the Disney Star Wars productions have used newly made stuff and incorporated fans (501st) and fan props (R2's , etc...) in their movies, because it's faster and cheaper, and the research is done.

So I agree that it is possible that fan made hilts may have been used - perhaps modified, or parts used. We did that back on the prequels too.
I worked on the 2nd Vader reveal mask for Ep 3 (the original was on tour), and we used some fan made parts (like tusks) because they were cheaper than doing it ourselves and we were in a hurry. Always in a hurry. "Close enough" was the rule - as much as we may have wanted to indulge our personal fan sides.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back