Spider-man Disney/Sony deal over? New Deal achieved for Spidey 3 & involvement in Marvel MCU

Here's the original source for that last piece of news.

According to the new deal Disney wants:

- A 6-picture deal with Tom Holland, with an option for a 7th.

- There are three more Spider-Man films after Spider-Man 3, which will be a new trilogy.

- The second trilogy will focus on Peter Parker's college years including plans for Peter to meet up and team up with Firestar and Ice Man of the X-Men (based in part on the old Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon).

- The other three movies are two Avengers films in which Spider-Man will have a larger role and become friends with Johnny Storm (Human Torch from the Fantastic Four).

- Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance all Spider-Man related movies for 30% of the full profits (Disney previously wanted 50%, but Sony said no, which led to the talks falling apart).

- Sony would distribute, but Disney will acquire exclusive digital and online rights for Disney Plus and affiliated TV networks.

- Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance SpiderVerse live-action spinoffs under the same terms.

- Venom will relocate into the MCU.

- Sony will be given permission for TV live-action programs based on SpiderVerse properties (Sony only has film rights to Spider-Man, but needs permission from Disney for TV rights)

- Disney wants the deal to be done before Saturday's Marvel panel at D23 Expo.

Fingers crossed for common sense for all parties involved in decision making...
I don't have Twitter, but if I had... #FansFirst

Right now all I am reading online is that it is still just a “rumor” and nothing of a concrete deal, even if Sony will be willing to go for it. Hopefully it does come to fruition, though yesterday they said Sony said no to Disney taking 30%, so I’m not too sure they will jump at it today. I guess we will see.

I find the details hard to believe. That 'plan' would involve getting into phase 6 or 7 and i doubt those are set enough to determine what they'll be focusing on at this point. I could be wrong, but even if they did know that much that far out, no way they'd be telling us what a second set of flicks would be focusing on.

Seeing as another spidey isn't on the books for the next 2 years, that means the 3rd would be in '22 and even allowing for 2 years apart from there, that's 6 more years. 9 total years down the road and Tom Holland is already in his 20's...not sure how well he'll pull off college age a decade from now.

Sony would be nuts to take that deal! Venom was a hit for them, so why would they give it up. And they already get 95%. Why would they willingly lower it to 70%. That deal sound more like some Marvel fanboys fan-fiction.

Here's the original source for that last piece of news.

According to the new deal Disney wants:

- A 6-picture deal with Tom Holland, with an option for a 7th.

- There are three more Spider-Man films after Spider-Man 3, which will be a new trilogy.

- The second trilogy will focus on Peter Parker's college years including plans for Peter to meet up and team up with Firestar and Ice Man of the X-Men (based in part on the old Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon).

- The other three movies are two Avengers films in which Spider-Man will have a larger role and become friends with Johnny Storm (Human Torch from the Fantastic Four).

- Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance all Spider-Man related movies for 30% of the full profits (Disney previously wanted 50%, but Sony said no, which led to the talks falling apart).

- Sony would distribute, but Disney will acquire exclusive digital and online rights for Disney Plus and affiliated TV networks.

- Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance SpiderVerse live-action spinoffs under the same terms.

- Venom will relocate into the MCU.

- Sony will be given permission for TV live-action programs based on SpiderVerse properties (Sony only has film rights to Spider-Man, but needs permission from Disney for TV rights)

- Disney wants the deal to be done before Saturday's Marvel panel at D23 Expo.

thank you for the updates!!

Sony would be nuts to take that deal! Venom was a hit for them, so why would they give it up. And they already get 95%. Why would they willingly lower it to 70%. That deal sound more like some Marvel fanboys fan-fiction.
But Venom was laughably bad, it may have made money, but it was not a good movie, hopefully now with its competent parent company Venom might actually be represented in a good movie

J

But Venom was laughably bad, it may have made money, but it was not a good movie, hopefully now with its competent parent company Venom might actually be represented in a good movie

J

Yeah but since when did making a good movie factor into any equation of any studio? See: Bayformers.

Money first, if it happens to be a good movie, great. Otherwise, oh well...

I agree that proposed deal makes absolutely no sense for Sony, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be true. The rumor is that Disney proposed an agreement for 50% profit sharing, but Sony pushed back with an offer for 30%, which is still significantly better than 5%. I’m guessing Disney is playing hardball and responded that 30% would work only if Disney received additional concessions that would essentially value the deal back to a 50% split.

I don’t agree that Sony has more to lose than marvel over a lack of an agreement. Sony still made $740+ on the Garfield spider-man movies. Hypothetically, 100% of $750m is significantly better for Sony than a $1bn return split 50/50 with marvel. In contrast, marvel can’t use spider man in the MCU which is embarrassing for them. Imagine Disney being unable to use their crown jewel, Mickey Mouse as they wish, or George Lucas restricted from usung the name Skywalker while he made Star Wars movies?

Ultimately you can blame Ike pearlmutter and Avi Arad, who sold off film rights for dirt cheap prices to cannon films and with the outlandish terms that could keep Spider-Man with Sony potentially ad infinitum as long as they churn out movies. (These two fell a goldmine, despite their questionable decision making.) However, also consider the fact that this huge marvel bang started off with Sony and Fox. Without their mediocre movies, it’s very possible that Marvel doesn’t generate enough excitement to build its own studio.

As an addendum, it could have been worse. Ike and Avi were actually trying to sell Sony on licensing rights for several Marvel characters for $25M, but Sony was too stupid to buy the entire roster. Imagine how bad Black Panther and Captain America could have been in Sony’s hands.

Last edited:
The issue would be though, how much of the last two spider man movies was Sony responsible for? If it's 0%, 70% of the profits for doing nothing is actually better than 100% and doing everything.

The rumor is that Disney proposed an agreement for 50% profit sharing, but Sony pushed back with an offer for 30%, which is still significantly better than 5%.

Where did you read that? It sounds like you have that backwards. All I am reading online is that Disney didn’t ask for 50% and only asked for 30% which Sony shot down. I even read that Disney went down to 25% but still Sony wanted to stick to 5%.

Sorry, but I don't have the percentages backwards based on what I've read. I'm surprised you didn't see 50%, because I've seen it quoted on most articles. I checked Wired, The Hollywood Reporter, for example, which surveyed either 30% or 50%. That doesn't mean they're correct though. However, I have not read that Sony stuck to 5% and didn't waver from that amount. Where was that reported?

Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 12.28.17 AM.png

Where did you read that? It sounds like you have that backwards. All I am reading online is that Disney didn’t ask for 50% and only asked for 30% which Sony shot down. I even read that Disney went down to 25% but still Sony wanted to stick to 5%.

Sorry, but I don't have the percentages backwards based on what I've read. I'm surprised you didn't see 50%, because I've seen it quoted on most articles. I checked Wired, The Hollywood Reporter, for example, which surveyed either 30% or 50%. That doesn't mean they're correct though. However, I have not read that Sony stuck to 5% and didn't waver from that amount. Where was that reported?

View attachment 1051540

What you just posted just contradicted your other post.

5B8698CE-D8CE-41C4-A5D7-1FEDA466ECD8.jpeg

You initially said Sony counter offered 30% and you said Disney said no. I asked where you read that, because I only read that Disney wanted 50% and then 30% and Sony said no. And what you just shared says exactly what I said... that Disney offered 50% (initial report) and 30% (later report).

And as far as where to read that Sony wanted to stick to 5%, it is literally in every article I have read.

I'm surprised you didn't see 50%...
Where did you also get that I didn’t see 50%?
I said the initial report was that they wanted 50% and a day later it came out that they wanted 30%. That is what I stated. And in no article did it state that Sony offered 30% which you stated.

Last edited:
And the bickering spreads...
I'm merely hoping to hear Sony and Disney will agree on something soon, so things can return to normal or at least a continuous flow within Marvel Cinematic Universe (and our Universe).

Last edited:
Let`s say Sony takes back Spider Man and they make a third movie with Holland. Will Peter forget EVERYTHING that previously happened to him??? The first meeting with the Avengers, BEING an Avenger the Stark Legacy, Dr. Strange, Danvers, Guardians...? EVERYTHING?

Let`s say Sony takes back Spider Man and they make a third movie with Holland. Will Peter forget EVERYTHING that previously happened to him??? The first meeting with the Avengers, BEING an Avenger the Stark Legacy, Dr. Strange, Danvers, Guardians...? EVERYTHING?

I think it's a pretty safe bet that none of it will be directly mentioned. There may be elusion to it. But it just won't be a part of his life. He won't have a mind that's gone blank, it just won't come up; or of it does it will have plausible deniability that it's references to Spider-Man-centric characters.

Seeing as another spidey isn't on the books for the next 2 years, that means the 3rd would be in '22 and even allowing for 2 years apart from there, that's 6 more years. 9 total years down the road and Tom Holland is already in his 20's...not sure how well he'll pull off college age a decade from now.

I don't think that will be much of an issue given that 20 somethings are often cast playing high school age kids, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for someone in their late 20s to early 30s playing a college aged kid.

So what I was wondering is who's left to face Spidey outside the MCU?
Venom and Morbius for starters, but what other villains are Sony-registered?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back