Spider-man Disney/Sony deal over? New Deal achieved for Spidey 3 & involvement in Marvel MCU

Interesting. Guess he's not going to be heading the avengers.

Back for one more MCU Spiderman solo movie and one undetermined appearance...

Worst case is the proper people can wrap everything up with him on their own terms.

Interesting. Guess he's not going to be heading the avengers.

Back for one more MCU Spiderman solo movie and one undetermined appearance...

Worst case is the proper people can wrap everything up with him on their own terms.
I really hope they won't have to wrap it up that way but I wouldn't blame them if they did if a long term agreement isn't reached.

I would love for them to continue with the Sinister Six villains/storyline. They did such a good job with Vulture and Mysterio, it would be such a shame to abandon that now. And then of course a Spider-Man/Venom movie to cap it off.

YES ! I'm ecstatic and I know I'll be sleeping well tonight.Holy cow to infinity and beyond.
I would have watched Spider-man movies regardless having been a fan for over 30 years, but him being within the MCU will add that much more excitement.Thank you,suits, for using your given brains to sort this out.

I think both parties are just easing Spider-Man's exit from the MCU to minimize damage to both franchises. They need to close the cliffhanger at the end of Far From Home and MCU has to rewrite a lot of the setup for their crossovers. A two picture deal gives both Sony and Marvel the space to patch up their respective universes and, especially with Sony, to make a play to regain some trust from the fandom.

Kraven the hunter hasn’t been in any spider man movies and he’s one of the ditko originals, so I’m guessing he’s a likely choice of villain for number 3. I think that Feige doesn’t want to reuse a villain who has already been in the prior movies.

I think both parties are just easing Spider-Man's exit from the MCU to minimize damage to both franchises. They need to close the cliffhanger at the end of Far From Home and MCU has to rewrite a lot of the setup for their crossovers. A two picture deal gives both Sony and Marvel the space to patch up their respective universes and, especially with Sony, to make a play to regain some trust from the fandom.
Well it's settled for me. If Spider-man isn't in the MCU I have no interest in following further stories with just a SONY Universe. If they continue to have him involved in the MCU, cool. I'm glad they are doing that currently, but if they ease him out, I'm done with him once he's out.

Wrap up the MCU Spider-man then cut him loose. NO way should Marvel have this nonsense happen again. Wrap up ALL the loose ends, hand him back to Sony and get back to building the MCU without Spider-man. I have enjoyed Spidey in the MCU but not if all this foolishness is going to happen with every new movie prior to filming.

For Marvel? the first article i read said one standalone and one additional MCU movie. Total 2. However, i've read multiple other articles that didn't mention the one additional...So i'm not going to say that's 100% accurate.

I wonder if we will ever see Norman/Harry Osborn

If I never see Green Goblin again in a SM movie, I'll be happy. They did Mysterio perfectly and mostly kept his original motive (money and showing off technical skill) and added a better MCU motivation. Doc Ock in Sm2 with Molina was excellent. Vulture was radically changed but I had no problem with it. Respect for the character is what matters. Kraven would be an excellent villain, good backstory (hey MCU! Tie it in with Wakanda for extra points!) complex motives and as always one of the iconic Ditko costumes.

Electro and Sandman were properly screwed up. I don't even want to discuss it, especially Electro.

But Goblin has such a convoluted history, multiple people, multiple versions, secret identities etc I just think it's too complicated for a 2-hour movie. Goblin was alway best as an recurring villain who always managed to escape, not as a one-off 2 hour villain.

I've always thought they should NOT give away the Goblin identity in any one movie. Better to heavily imply it's Osborne etc but then pull a proper Ditko switch and make it someone completely random. Better for the actors, too.

Or finally introduce the hobgoblin instead of the green goblin.

Personally I would pay money to see a tv series of spider-man / Iron Man / Avengers rather than movies.Benefits in there for the suits as well:
-start out with a pilot and see how it's received.Cheaper than a movie.
-start at the beginning and go slow; take the time to develop the storyline
-villains don't have to die or disappear after 2,5 / 3 hours
-story doesn't need to be limited to and crammed into 3 hours.
-gradual build up of villain alliances such as the Sinister Six and Deadly foes of Spider-man (Limited series at the time)

And so on

It's import to remember that when Spider-Man goes back to Sony that they can't use the costume, MJ or anything that has touched the MCU. Leaving Far From Home on that cliffhanger really wrote Sony into a corner.

Another point of contention was that if they continued the relationship Marvel didn't want Venom and Spider-Man to meet on film otherwise that would link Venom to the MCU. Sony's ability to build a Spider-Verse is naturally hamstrung by this. I can see where both parties can't compromise. This separation was inevitable.

I considered that a solution might have been for Sony to build their Spider-Verse off of Morales but then they wouldn't have all the clout of the much-loved Holland-Parker.

Sony's move might make sense business-wise but they don't have the creative force to make a good Spider-Verse. They certainly don't have the good will if the fandom. At best we can expect a series of mediocre films that will fatigue the public of superhero films.

I'd like Sony to entertain the notion of going all-in with a Disney partnership to have them share Spider-Man and have MCU help build their Spider-Verse in a mutually beneficial way. It's a huge leap of faith but I think it's the only way I can see for Sony to maintain a faithful fandom.

I recall Sony saying something to the effect that they have learned the secrets of building a universe from their experience working with Feige. If anything, that just tells me they still don't get it. It's not a formula. It starts by being invested as a deep fan, as Feige is. A fan with experiene, networking skills, an eye for talent, the ruthless will to get it done and executive force to make it happen is something that simply doesn't exist at Sony. It's not a formula.

Or finally introduce the hobgoblin instead of the green goblin.

Personally I would pay money to see a tv series of spider-man / Iron Man / Avengers rather than movies.Benefits in there for the suits as well:
-start out with a pilot and see how it's received.Cheaper than a movie.
-start at the beginning and go slow; take the time to develop the storyline
-villains don't have to die or disappear after 2,5 / 3 hours
-story doesn't need to be limited to and crammed into 3 hours.
-gradual build up of villain alliances such as the Sinister Six and Deadly foes of Spider-man (Limited series at the time)

And so on
I agree. A Spider-Man TV series would work well for the points you stated and also if a) they maintain a high production value (including star powered actors) and b) episodes don't get bogged down with a lot of filler like so many modern shows (which is why I still prefer movies myself). And I would take a comic book approach to the storytelling. Instead of season long arcs (again, another reason why I prefer movies), tell more "one and done" stories. You can still have a longform overarching story (like the MCU), but keep shorter stories contained to 1-3 episodes.

It's funny you mention Hobgoblin. When I was a kid, I discovered him before Green Goblin so in my mind he was the original Goblin. So yeah, I'd love to see him make his cinematic debut.

I recall Sony saying something to the effect that they have learned the secrets of building a universe from their experience working with Feige. If anything, that just tells me they still don't get it. It's not a formula. It starts by being invested as a deep fan, as Feige is. A fan with experiene, networking skills, an eye for talent, the ruthless will to get it done and executive force to make it happen is something that simply doesn't exist at Sony. It's not a formula.

Honestly,i think you can distill it down to respecting the source material and being faithful to it. Make the goal to make a good movie on top of that. Places like Sony and DC start with, "So, what will make the most money?" and that's the formula for failure.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back