SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2202 1/350 Japanese Weekly Magazine

All good things come to an end, the final 6 issues, 105 thru 110. Every thing is wired, connected, master control board installed, the display base with the main power switch, speaker and sound board assembled.

The control panel is finished and after a deep breath, Yamato powered up, controller switched on and everything works! There is a volume knob and it can be turned up pretty loud. The controller has great range; I can run the Yamato from two rooms away.

View attachment 1436873

View attachment 1436874

View attachment 1436875

View attachment 1436876

I’ll take some detailed photos and video later in the week, I have a few little adjustments to make and this is a wrap.

View attachment 1436877

I have decided to extend out the additional 60 issues and get the Andromeda but I’ll likely take a little break before starting it and let the parts pile up for a bit.
Thank you for your wonderful photos. I have been following your progress for a while and I would really appreciate some advice from you. I have volumes 1 to 109 and I have not yet started building the Yamato. I have never build a Hachette model before and the last model I built was over ten years ago. I want to collect all the tools I will need before I start. I have noticed that some parts require glueing. Someone earlier in this thread warned against using a specific type of glue. I was wandering what the brand name of the glue you used was? Also, what specific tools did you need to build the model? Also, do you have any tips for a first time builder for this model? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
So I was strong. As much as I have loved this ship since I was in single digits, as much as I appreciate seeing what's been done with it, as much as I thought about it, I couldn't justify that much, plus everything I knew I'd do to it after I had it to make it that much better (interiors behind the windows, etc.). So I've lived vicariously though your progress on here. But then I saw you post about the follow-on subscription for the next sixty issues, and, well... *sigh* I have now preordered all of the Andromeda parts sets through HLJ. I think I even know where I'm going to hang this beast. As much as I love the Yamato, I have been in deep lust with the Andromeda since she first showed up in series two of the original anime.

Since I want to superdetail this baby as well, I'd like to fill in some of the things they leave out. If you still have documentation, might you be willing/able to dig up info on what motors and such they used for the Yamato's turrets?

Thank you for your wonderful photos. I have been following your progress for a while and I would really appreciate some advice from you. I have volumes 1 to 109 and I have not yet started building the Yamato. I have never build a Hachette model before and the last model I built was over ten years ago. I want to collect all the tools I will need before I start. I have noticed that some parts require glueing. Someone earlier in this thread warned against using a specific type of glue. I was wandering what the brand name of the glue you used was? Also, what specific tools did you need to build the model? Also, do you have any tips for a first time builder for this model? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the kind words. I used a couple of good magnetic ended small screwdrivers (Philips), a small pair of side cutters, I prefer the Tamiya flush side cutters, and a couple pairs of tweezers, straight and angled, again I like the Tamiya ones. I used Gorilla Super Glue in the precision allocator for models but most of the time I would put a small amount of a piece of cardboard and then apply it with a toothpick which will give you more control and less chance of applying too much super glue.

Because of the language issues I recommend watching the Hachette videos before doing the issue, the instructions can be a little vague at times. You can find them here Hachette Yamato Build Videos

Patience will be your best friend for this build, take your time and if something looks unclear walk yourself through it a couple of times before moving forward. If you have any questions along the way feel free to reach out.

So I was strong. As much as I have loved this ship since I was in single digits, as much as I appreciate seeing what's been done with it, as much as I thought about it, I couldn't justify that much, plus everything I knew I'd do to it after I had it to make it that much better (interiors behind the windows, etc.). So I've lived vicariously though your progress on here. But then I saw you post about the follow-on subscription for the next sixty issues, and, well... *sigh* I have now preordered all of the Andromeda parts sets through HLJ. I think I even know where I'm going to hang this beast. As much as I love the Yamato, I have been in deep lust with the Andromeda since she first showed up in series two of the original anime.

Since I want to superdetail this baby as well, I'd like to fill in some of the things they leave out. If you still have documentation, might you be willing/able to dig up info on what motors and such they used for the Yamato's turrets?

I bought a couple of extra parts sets along the way with the motors in them; I’ll dig them out this week. The small motors have no markings on them and they do not call out the type in the instructions but I’m pretty sure the large can motors that turn the turrets are marked; the small motors raise the guns. Two motors per turret.

I still haven’t had time to shoot some video but I did take some more photos. I’ve had time to make some adjustments this week and clean up a few things, still a few more nits to take care of but it’s more of a personal thing.

Overall I’m pleased with the results, there are a few things that could have been better engineered and a few things they over engineered. The controls are a little frustrating; things like the AA guns do not return to center, you just have to be quick on the button.

yamato1.jpg

yamato2.jpg

yamato3.jpg

yamato4.jpg

yamato5.jpg

yamato6.jpg

yamato7.jpg

yamato8.jpg

yamato9.jpg

yamato10.jpg

And I am jealous. I would have had one of these myself, but HLJ told me back around vol 20. that they could not guarantee any of the previous issues would come back in stock, nor did/would they set up a subscription service to avoid missing any or having any sell out.

Fantasic job!

And I am jealous. I would have had one of these myself, but HLJ told me back around vol 20. that they could not guarantee any of the previous issues would come back in stock, nor did/would they set up a subscription service to avoid missing any or having any sell out.

Fantasic job!

Thank you!

I had the same problem as you with the Hachette Macross VF-1, I really wanted that one but was late to the game and received the same reply from them in regard to back issues. Keeping up with this build was truly a pain, every week I had to make sure I had my part for the coming week ordered throughout the build. The only reason I went forward with the Andromeda was that I could order all the issues at once and not worry about missing a week otherwise I would have likely passed.

Thank you for the kind words. I used a couple of good magnetic ended small screwdrivers (Philips), a small pair of side cutters, I prefer the Tamiya flush side cutters, and a couple pairs of tweezers, straight and angled, again I like the Tamiya ones. I used Gorilla Super Glue in the precision allocator for models but most of the time I would put a small amount of a piece of cardboard and then apply it with a toothpick which will give you more control and less chance of applying too much super glue.

Because of the language issues I recommend watching the Hachette videos before doing the issue, the instructions can be a little vague at times. You can find them here Hachette Yamato Build Videos

Patience will be your best friend for this build, take your time and if something looks unclear walk yourself through it a couple of times before moving forward. If you have any questions along the way feel free to reach out.
Thank you for your excellent tips and advice. I have been trying to source Cemedine High Grade Adhesive for models (Ca-089) for use when gluing the clear plastic portions to the metal. I am trying to avoid any frosting or clouding when using superglue. Did you find any clouding or frosting when using the Gorilla Super Glue?

It seems that several you tube modelers have been using the Tamiya Cement for ABS when gluing plastic to plastic. What are your thoughts on this glue?

I have started watching the video for each issue. I am just waiting on my cutters to arrive as well as the glue to arrive before I start. Thank you once again for your advice. By the way, I am also getting the Andromeda.

Thank you for your excellent tips and advice. I have been trying to source Cemedine High Grade Adhesive for models (Ca-089) for use when gluing the clear plastic portions to the metal. I am trying to avoid any frosting or clouding when using superglue. Did you find any clouding or frosting when using the Gorilla Super Glue?

It seems that several you tube modelers have been using the Tamiya Cement for ABS when gluing plastic to plastic. What are your thoughts on this glue?

I have started watching the video for each issue. I am just waiting on my cutters to arrive as well as the glue to arrive before I start. Thank you once again for your advice. By the way, I am also getting the Andromeda.

I didn't have any issues with frosting while using the super glue but that will go back you using just what you need. You'll find with this build other than a few parts there will be no need to glue clear parts.

I've never used the Tamiya cement for ABS, I've always used Plastruct Plastic Weld cement for ABS through the years.

Supposedly coating the clear piece with Future (aka Pledge floor polish) will prevent/clear the hazing of the part

the other option is using an accelerator like ZipKicker or similar. Dries the CA almost instantly and prevents the hazing as well

Thank you for the helpful tips. I finished building the Yamato yesterday! It was fun, but exhausting. I feel like I have just binged watched a entire show...building 2 years worth of parts in less than a week feels very strange. I wasn't planning on building it so quick, but the build experience was just so enjoyable that I just kept building. Overall I am very happy with the model and would recommend it to any Star Blazers/Yamato fan.

Thank you for the helpful tips. I finished building the Yamato yesterday! It was fun, but exhausting. I feel like I have just binged watched a entire show...building 2 years worth of parts in less than a week feels very strange. I wasn't planning on building it so quick, but the build experience was just so enjoyable that I just kept building. Overall I am very happy with the model and would recommend it to any Star Blazers/Yamato fan.

I'm impressed, I can't imagine building this all in a week.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the build and that you are happy with the results, I find myself playing with my Yamato at least a couple time a week. Still waiting for HLJ to bill me for my first Andromeda parts, their seems to be some sort of hold-up. If I don't see anything billed this week I may have to reach out to them.

I'm waiting, too. If you contact them, do please let us know what they say?

So, I've emailed HLJ. I was billed for my first issue today unfortunately it was issue #115, they skipped over issues #111, 112, 113 and 114 right to the current issue. Given their problems with back issues I'm a little concerned.

I just got a notice for #114. I have a feeling they got the first five just in the last day or three and are now processing them -- only in reverse order.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back