SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2202 1/350 Japanese Weekly Magazine

For those building, word of warning.
Do not use cyano activator on any of the blue pieces, and I assume any other plastic parts.
It attacks the plastic :(

I'm using a longer set time super glue with no activator and I haven't had any problems but thank you for the heads-up. The activator can be unkind to a some colored plastic, Zip Kicker is one brand that comes to mind.

For those building, word of warning.
Do not use cyano activator on any of the blue pieces, and I assume any other plastic parts.
It attacks the plastic :(

Just a small update to the build, I'll post more this weekend but I'm past the half way mark at issue 52. This is just a test of the bridge tower lighting, both the blue and red lights in the bridge windows and captains cabin are on at the same time.

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

It’s been a while since I posted an update so I figured I figured I better get on it. I’m up to issue 83 of 110 issues, originally it was supposed to be 100 issues. I’ve started to build the AA guns, stack and mounts for the bridge tower, I’ve tested fitted some of these parts in the photos. The wings are done and attach magnetically.

At this point there are a lot of motor connections with nowhere to plug into so there will be another board for all those connections. There are two motors per turret, a motor for the side missile doors which are controlled on a steel cable, a motor for the lower gangway and a motor for the AA gun turrets.

There should only be four more motors left to install in this build for the two rear turrets. It’s worth noting that there is no place for batteries, a speaker or speakers, no main control board and no clue where they will go. Since the rest of the ship is a cut-a-way I’m starting to suspect that all those things will be housed in the permanent display base, which has yet to be seen.

Total build length at this point is 26 inches with about another 14 inches to go.

image10.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Last edited:
So jealous!
I work in IT so since starting this thread I've been working an amazing amount of hours daily migrating 300 international workers to home offices.

I'm only on issue 6 ~_~
However I have secured all issues up to 86 and all but 20 are in hand.
This will be a major showpiece in my collection.

It looks great! I hope you post a video of all the moving parts once you're done.

Here's hoping that when it's all plugged in I have something to show, lol. They haven't provided a way to test anything since the bridge tower so it's blind faith that I'm doing everything right.

Last edited:
So jealous!
I work in IT so since starting this thread I've been working an amazing amount of hours daily migrating 300 international workers to home offices.

I'm only on issue 6 ~_~
However I have secured all issues up to 86 and all but 20 are in hand.
This will be a major showpiece in my collection.

I can't even imagine. I'm in sales so it's been 4 times the effort and time to bring in 2/3's as much for the company, part of the reason I've just gotten back on track with the build.

It is a beast! It will be an attention getter in a collection for sure!

This will my last update for a bit until I receive some more parts. This takes me up to issue 86 and tied up a lot of loose ends. As you move into issue 84 you’ll find that you had a good amount of parts on your tray with no homes, motors, gears, turrets, gears for the AA guns and a few other bits and pieces.

When you finish issue 86 all those parts will be used. These three issues have taken the longest to date, just a little over 4 hours of building to complete, just four more motors and the rest of the build is lighting.

Lots of optics and wires with nothing to plug into, should be interesting. Total build length is now 28 inches.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I am hoping to start this soon but, I am missing issues 2 and 21. Hobby Link Japan says they are no longer making them but if you go to the Hatchette site they are on there. Just not sure how to order them or if they will even ship to the US.

I am hoping to start this soon but, I am missing issues 2 and 21. Hobby Link Japan says they are no longer making them but if you go to the Hatchette site they are on there. Just not sure how to order them or if they will even ship to the US.

Check with Amazon Japan, they may have them, I used them a lot to fill in issues for my Eaglemoss Delorean.

Another option is to contact Kinokuniya's US branch - or Asahiya (if they still exist).
They will do special orders for books and magazines, but can be pricey (2x Japanese MSRP last I checked).

As for Amazon Japan, they have many back issues for a decent price, but some are sold for ludicrous prices. Someone's selling #81 there for $320 US.

Small update, issues 87 through 91 complete, which amounted to a couple of motors, a main turret and the last section of upper deck. That leaves 19 issues to go and I have to say I’m very skeptical to this build wrapping up at 110 issues which the website states.

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

There are a number of boards still missing including the main controller board along with the rest of the hull, which is a cut-a-way and brings up questions like where is the power supply? The build shown on the site obviously does not have working rear turrets, as there is nowhere to hide the motors so it will be interesting to see how they work that out. I’m starting to suspect that the power supply (batteries?) will be in the base.

I thought I would take a few shots of the ship to show what’s stuffed inside of the hull so far, it is getting crowded.

image6.jpg

image5.jpg

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

Happy New Year to all!

While it doesn’t look like much has happened, a lot has. I’m finished through to issue 97 now, the wiring and light fibers are all cleaned up and connected, everything has been tested and everything worked perfectly, all major wiring and motor work is done. These past issues have contained the controller boards and answered more than a few questions as to how everything will work in the end.

Looking ahead to issues that are yet to come you can see that the power will be supplied from the base, still no idea where the speaker will be. I have issues 98 through 102 shipping this week, which will get back to building the rest of the ship. It’s worth noting that these upcoming issues are loaded with parts so it’s the race to issue 110, which is still listed as the final issue.

Hachette has also announced the next build which is the Andromeda in the same 1/350 scale, not sure if I’ll take the plunge on that one or not, still not sure where I’m putting this 40” long Yamato when it done.

Hachette Andromeda Video

yamato1.jpg

yamato2.jpg

yamato3.jpg

yamato4.jpg

yamato5.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back