SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2202 1/350 Japanese Weekly Magazine

Here’s the latest update, I’ve just finished issues 98 through 102. I have to say issues 101 and 102 felt like double issues, maybe even triple based on the parts counts of previous issues, upcoming issues look the same, lots of parts as the race is on to the final issue 110.

Lots of interior parts for the cut-away section, the racks for the fighters are finished but it’s a bit of a cheat, only half a rack, where the back half would have been is motors and wiring. Looks like the base will not plug in but the Yamato will rest on the base on spring-loaded contacts.

Some more of the hull built and that leaves just 8 more issues to go with a lot of parts to go, still wondering if they will really wrap up on issue 110.

yamato1.jpg

yamato2.jpg

yamato3.jpg

A two-issue update with big results, issues 103 and 104 complete, which pulled all the stray parts together. Issue 103 felt like five issues thrown into one box so the push is on to wrap this up at issue 110, which looks like it could happen if they keep the parts coming like these issues. Total length tip to tail, 37 inches.

At this point all the electronic features have been tested and work, there still seems to be a board missing that ties everything together and likely talks to the remote. I already know that issue 105 is the entire removable panel for the cutaway feature so 106 through 110 should be the stand, controller and any stray electronic components to finish this up.

yama1.jpg

yama2.jpg
yama3.jpg

At this moment,I am insanely jealous! Why can't they release this in the UK?
Having someone carrying this is the US would have helped a lot. I have to order the parts every week from Hobby Link Japan, no pre-order available. If you forget and miss a week you can wait weeks for the parts to come back into stock.

I think after this I'm taking a long break from parts builds.

there should be a crying tears of jealous over the sheer AWESOMENESS OF THIS, emoji

Last edited:
Supposedly they are starting up a 1/350 Andromeda as well

I did some checking and it looks like this is not a separate subscription but can be added to your current Yamato subscription. By accident I found an additional 60 issues on Hobby Link Japan for the Yamato and since it looks like it will wrap up at 110 as planned I’m assuming that this is the Andromeda.

The Andromeda looks like a much simpler build, no motor driven parts, lights only and much more basic so 60 issues may do it.

Last edited:
A two-issue update with big results, issues 103 and 104 complete, which pulled all the stray parts together. Issue 103 felt like five issues thrown into one box so the push is on to wrap this up at issue 110, which looks like it could happen if they keep the parts coming like these issues. Total length tip to tail, 37 inches.

At this point all the electronic features have been tested and work, there still seems to be a board missing that ties everything together and likely talks to the remote. I already know that issue 105 is the entire removable panel for the cutaway feature so 106 through 110 should be the stand, controller and any stray electronic components to finish this up.

View attachment 1418693

View attachment 1418694View attachment 1418695

Wow! You're getting to the finish line soon.

The engine glow looks really cool with the multiple light sources.

W O W. Just when I thought the GX-86 Yamato was the must have version. I can't wait to see you complete this.

I wonder if it's still practical for someone in the United States to still be able to build this starting from magazine #1?

I'd be down for this even at a slow pace of the magazines arriving. I've been spending a couple hours this morning learning everything I can about this amazing kit. I'm going to post some various links to the companies involved to help paint the picture for everyone new to this model like me. Hope you don't mind.

I didn't see a way to make the sign up form work over at 宇宙戦艦ヤマト:お申し込み | アシェット・コレクションズ・ジャパン株式会社. I'm guessing they only want people in Japan to be able to "subscribe"? The official product page is here: 宇宙戦艦ヤマト. Nice that they even have a display case planned with a "heavy wooden" pedestal. I was able to submit an inquiry through their website. What a task that was. You'll need a furigana generator to convert your name to Japanese and I just used their phone number as mine to complete the form.

I see that 37 out of the current 107 issues are sold out even at Hachette over here 宇宙戦艦ヤマト2202.

I contacted Hobby Link to get their thoughts on restocking the magazines as they have numerous ones out of stock. I'm concerned that based on the link in post #1 they are listing magazines up to issue #169. Maybe they are mixing in the upcoming Andromeda kit in this?

How are people purchasing through Amazon jp if you live in the US? I keep running into magazines that can't be shipped to my location. Plus you may be doubling the cost of each magazine due to shipping.

Looks like the official YouTube build channel is here:

It seems like one detail they missed is the doors on the smoke stack don't open to show the missiles.

Last edited:
Wow! You're getting to the finish line soon.

The engine glow looks really cool with the multiple light sources.

It really is coming together fast now. The engine lights flicker and there is a slow start up to full glow, I'm sure once the sound board is installed the sound will match up with what the lights are doing.

W O W. Just when I thought the GX-86 Yamato was the must have version. I can't wait to see you complete this.

I wonder if it's still practical for someone in the United States to still be able to build this starting from magazine #1?

I'd be down for this even at a slow pace of the magazines arriving. I've been spending a couple hours this morning learning everything I can about this amazing kit. I'm going to post some various links to the companies involved to help paint the picture for everyone new to this model like me. Hope you don't mind.

I didn't see a way to make the sign up form work over at 宇宙戦艦ヤマト:お申し込み | アシェット・コレクションズ・ジャパン株式会社. I'm guessing they only want people in Japan to be able to "subscribe"? The official product page is here: 宇宙戦艦ヤマト. Nice that they even have a display case planned with a "heavy wooden" pedestal. I was able to submit an inquiry through their website. What a task that was. You'll need a furigana generator to convert your name to Japanese and I just used their phone number as mine to complete the form.

I see that 37 out of the current 107 issues are sold out even at Hachette over here 宇宙戦艦ヤマト2202.

I contacted Hobby Link to get their thoughts on restocking the magazines as they have numerous ones out of stock. I'm concerned that based on the link in post #1 they are listing magazines up to issue #169. Maybe they are mixing in the upcoming Andromeda kit in this?

How are people purchasing through Amazon jp if you live in the US? I keep running into magazines that can't be shipped to my location. Plus you may be doubling the cost of each magazine due to shipping.

Looks like the official YouTube build channel is here:

It seems like one detail they missed is the doors on the smoke stack don't open to show the missiles.

I wish I could give you a 100% answer. I see gaps in the older issues and I've noticed that sellers on Amazon JP will not ship this to the US. You may want to watch Hobby Link Japan and see if the older issues fill in now that it's been extended to include the Andromeda build.

For the stack they give you a swap out top with the doors open but it still doesn't show the missiles.

Jim

All good things come to an end, the final 6 issues, 105 thru 110. Every thing is wired, connected, master control board installed, the display base with the main power switch, speaker and sound board assembled.

The control panel is finished and after a deep breath, Yamato powered up, controller switched on and everything works! There is a volume knob and it can be turned up pretty loud. The controller has great range; I can run the Yamato from two rooms away.

yam1.jpg

yam2.jpg

yam3.jpg

yam4.jpg

I’ll take some detailed photos and video later in the week, I have a few little adjustments to make and this is a wrap.

yam5.jpg

I have decided to extend out the additional 60 issues and get the Andromeda but I’ll likely take a little break before starting it and let the parts pile up for a bit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back