space 1999 stun gun question

I have been making several stun guns and comlocks over the last couple of months here is an example of each. They are carved out of solid wood, these are just about ready for some paint. I have made two guns and three comlocks from wood. I'm getting ready to try 3d printing of the third gun, just to see how that goes. The nozzles were cut from a wooden dowel and shaped with a wood rasp so they were narrower at the one end. The end is currently flat, I am thinking that I will drill slightly into the end to create a little cup shape on each one, then paint the inside with the appropriate colors
space 1999.jpg

If they are found objects, they're likely some kind of light-holder - but not LEDs as we are talking the mid 1970's here. Instead, they're likely some other component for electronics at the time. They're basically just little flat-topped cones on square bases.

I've collected a few images of the stunguns over the years for reference, here you go:
stungun.jpg
spsw0073.jpg
spdd0494.jpgspd228.jpg357111525.jpgsptm1037.jpg

And these were from a thread on EagleTransporter and my apologies for not having the proper names handy (and if you recognize the original poster please let me know if I don't find it myself) but they're comparisons between two kits and the die-cast prop offered a while back. The point was that the resin kits were closer to what the hero prop is thought to be. Personally I've found a few kits which are undersized (the old Wilco Kit in particular is tiny, and based on the entirely wrong drawings in the old Space 1999 tech manual):

comp_3.jpgcomp_2.jpgcomp_1.jpg

To me, the prop replica in the middle of these shots appears closest to the original hero - and it does appear there were several sizes of the prop over the course of the show (not to mention the really bad vacu-formed shells used for the throw-away background props, which all appeared undersized)

Last edited:
(Those are great pictures, Blackbirdcd!)

I don't know if the actual nozzles were found items or not- when I made my wood version, I used wooden squares (of various heights) for the bases, and cut the tips off of cheap plastic ball point pens for the cones:

If I did this again, I would use a lower section of the cone- I think mine came out a bit small...

Good luck!

This is the best shot of the nozzles I've seen, looks like they're made of metal on this one, maybe some kind of paint gun nozzle?
break-laserfloorcu.jpg

I think your wood StunGun looks great! Sure, compared to the images the nozzles look small but it works very well. Love those uniforms too

Thanks for sharing that photo, Mola, I didn't have that one. They do look metal, so does the knob on the side. Everything else is probably fabricated I'm sure.

I remember having a sqirtgun of one of these 'back in the day'. Not sure if one of those would help scale, or detail, but I'm sure one is out there, for reference. Your model looks awesome, truly, nice work. -Jason

What type/size of wood block did you start with to carve the body of the gun?
(Those are great pictures, Blackbirdcd!)

I don't know if the actual nozzles were found items or not- when I made my wood version, I used wooden squares (of various heights) for the bases, and cut the tips off of cheap plastic ball point pens for the cones:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad31/Felgacarb/S-1999/Space-1999-costumes-2 23_zps0roxwalg.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad31/Felgacarb/S-1999/Space-1999-costumes-2 24_zpsyrsl1gid.jpg

If I did this again, I would use a lower section of the cone- I think mine came out a bit small...

Good luck!

There were a few stung gun toys, but the squirt gun was the most similar to the prop - even it was oddly sized and shaped.

Whatever the nozzles were originally, they had to be fairly common - each hero prop needed four.

i wouldn't rule out any of the suggestions so far, but they appear metal, rugged, and the open end is pretty wide.

So here is a pic of the stun gun that I printed on a 3D printer. I had two false starts with this that I had to abandon. I finally got this one printed. It is a little smaller than the ones that I'm making out of wood. But the details are a little sharper. There was a lot of little bumps and imperfections in the print that I had to cut away and sand down. A couple of places that I had to fill in with some putty, But over all I think the build time is going to be much shorter. I'm currently working on applying buttons etc.. to one of my wooden comlocks, when that is finished and painted Ill post a pic of that. I also want to 3D print a comlock and see how the two compare.
20160108_191045.jpg

I am noticing a common mistake with the front part of these stun guns - the slab in front with the emitters is supposed to be slightly sloped on the emitter side (the outside if you will), while the inside is almost 90 degrees. People seem to be going the opposite of this, making the inside angled while the outside is flat. It's apparent in the screenshots of the hero prop that this is the case.

Am I wrong in seeing this?

Also, in spite of this detail nit, I really like the pieces shared in this thread. I'm more concerned that I get my own drawings accurate

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back