Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Wook, you're like the Terminator of Star Wars lore — you just keep coming no matter what we throw at you!

I can appreciate your concept of high standards but I also think you've taken it to such an extreme that even ole George Lucas at the absolute height of his own "SWIQ" (1977 – 1980) would have deemed all of this a little bit overboard.

Here's one last thought and then I'll drop it:

Two people walk into a museum and look at a painting. They both agree it's a great painting but for completely different reasons. That doesn't mean one of them is looking at it wrong because what's absolutely true for one person may not be true for the other. Eh?

Depends who's saying what. Was Joe Pesci's character right when he said, "I like this painting. Ya got one dog lookin' this way, and the other dog lookin' the other way...and this guy's sayin', "Whaddya want from me?"?

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

I wouldn't be wrong if I said it was my opinion... but I also wouldn't say that...

But you sir, can say what you want about SWIQ, however I can't take one person's OPINION on what belongs in a particular franchise seriously, when he has a lower filmmaking IQ than my own. ;)

Filmmaking IQ?? Well, that's FIQ. And an entirely different topic altogether. lol

But okay, if that's how you feel, then don't ever let us hear you criticizing a big-time Hollywood director, who has more experience than you, for any of his scenes or movies. lol

Since this has nothing to do with the thread topic, I think all this none sense should be excised and you all can start a sperate thread to continue this pointless conversation.

Bryan, you're just sore cuz I said you have a low SWIQ. Get over it, pal. Adopt Greenie's attitude. Be confident in your own SWIQ. :)

No need for a separate thread. Like I said, I just wanted to share my concept with you all, and get your thoughts. At the very least, you'll know what I'm talking about when I use the term in future posts.

The Wook

It's funny how people complain about SWIQ. I mean...it's not like they could simply ignore those post and simply choose to post want they want concerning Han Solo in this thread. Nah. If only...there was a way to do that.

Anyway, I am happy to remain an advid subscriber to the church of SWIQ. Can't wait for my next issue.

"I don't TRUST Lando"

"Well I DON'T TRUST HIM either.... But he is my friend" (a friend he doesn't trust)

Han did not think his SON (not friend... SON) had it in him to kill him - and you can see the shock and sadness in his eyes and how he touched his son's cheek after he got skewered

Thought he could pull a Luke with Vader... Han was wrong.

Your SWIQ is slippin.

NOW, you understand! You think I have a lowered SWIQ for holding that opinion.

I *knew* you'd get it!

D

Filmmaking IQ?? Well, that's FIQ. And an entirely different topic altogether. lol

But okay, if that's how you feel, then don't ever let us hear you criticizing a big-time Hollywood director, who has more experience than you, for any of his scenes or movies. lol

The Wook

That makes zero sense.

- - - Updated - - -

NOW, you understand! You think I have a lowered SWIQ for holding that opinion.

I *knew* you'd get it!

I was playing your game... which is lame btw.

That makes zero sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I was playing your game... which is lame btw.

Hey!!! That sounds exactly like something Han Solo would say to Jabba the Hutt!!! You really are getting the whole SWIQ thing now! Bless your heart.

Hmmmm

Okay... I'm not going to listen to my kid tell me that she has a better pizza IQ than me ('cuz she thinks she knows what belongs on a pizza), and judge everyone else's pizza IQ, when she can't turn on an oven....

and I'm an italian chef.

;)

Hmmmm

Okay... I'm not going to listen to my kid tell me that she has a better pizza IQ than me ('cuz she thinks she knows what belongs on a pizza), and judge everyone else's pizza IQ, when she can't turn on an oven....

and I'm an italian chef.

;)

Lol...for a second there, I thought you were gonna talk about:

29cb5183a46bbeeaf6b77f7c2c0570d9.jpg

But, okay. So, you're still talking in riddles, so before I specifically address your comments, lemme just see if I understand.

I'm guessing you are you a professional filmmaker of some sort. Is that correct? Assuming it is correct, you're saying that you'll be damned if you're gonna defer to someone like me, who is not a professional filmmaker, with regards to what does and does not make a good SW film. Is that the gist of it?

I won't be damned... heh.

I'm not even saying I don't agree with your thoughts on what should be in a Star Wars movie... I'm just saying I would never let you set the bar and rate myself or others.

Cuz who are you?

Besides a brilliant troll for getting me to even respond this much to something so ridiculous.

Add intelligent conversation to a thread, re: SWIQ, along with how/why you came up with concept=trolling? Does not compute.

Don't understand or agree with SWIQ concept:

1) your trolling

2) it makes no sense

3) it's lame.

I'd quote Clint Eastwood on this generation, but I'd likely be accused of trolling and receive an infraction.

Sigh, moving on. Carry on with the no fun club.

I'm not even saying I don't agree with your thoughts on what should be in a Star Wars movie... I'm just saying I would never let you set the bar and rate myself or others.

Cuz who are you?

Nor should you! Don't you see, that's the beauty of SWIQ ! You trust your opinions on SW films, and those who disagree with you are mistaken. I trust my opinions on SW, and those who disagree with me are mistaken.

So yes, I am setting the bar for you, when I judge your SWIQ. Just as you are setting the bar for me, when you judge mine. But there is an absolute truth--so not everyone is right.

This is not something new, at all. The only thing that's new about it is the discussion of it, and the name I've given it.

There's no reason for you fellas to get antagonistic over it. I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

The Wook

It's funny how people complain about SWIQ. I mean...it's not like they could simply ignore those post and simply choose to post want they want concerning Han Solo in this thread. Nah. If only...there was a way to do that...

You mean that people are free to ignore opinions they disagree with, and just post their own thoughts on the matter? You must not be familiar with the RPF :lol

Then you don't believe in absolute truth. Which is your prerogative. But you're mistaken. The theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are the only two perfect SW films. That is an absolute truth. If someone says otherwise, then they are mistaken. And have a low SWIQ. (Again, that does not apply to people who like another SW film the best of all, only for nostalgia reasons, but acknowledge that it has a lot of low-SWIQ elements, unlike the perfect theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.)
Actually I do believe that there absoutle truths, e.g., There are no round squares, I just don't believe there are absoutle truths in the interpretation of art. What is a masterpiece to one person could easily be crap to someone else.

I find ALOT of the content in many of the posts in this thread absolutely hilarious .

Lets be honest. The REAL measure of a persons IQ on this forum should be the ability to find and selectively use the the IGNORE button.

Actually I do believe that there absoutle truths, e.g., There are no round squares, I just don't believe there are absoutle truths in the interpretation of art. What is a masterpiece to one person could easily be crap to someone else.

Which brings us back to the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen vs. Citizen Kane debate. I believe that Citizen Kane is, in absolute terms, a better film than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. But you believe that as long as there is ONE person in the world, who would rate Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen as the better film, then there is no absolute truth about which film is better.

Therefore, you are a SWIQ denier. But that's okay. You're mistaken. But you're not alone. :)

The Wook

Which brings us back to the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen vs. Citizen Kane debate. I believe that Citizen Kane is, in absolute terms, a better film than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. But you believe that as long as there is ONE person in the world, who would rate Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen as the better film, then there is no absolute truth about which film is better.

Therefore, you are a SWIQ denier. But that's okay. You're mistaken. But you're not alone. :)

The Wook
I dont think its ever just ONE person, but thats all it takes to make something not absolute. But yea, we differ on the concept of there being a absolute in art so I'll say I'm just a SWIQ non-believer. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Back to Han!

Okay bare with me on this post... I'm a little drunk and a lot stoned and I don't have my glasses around... so everything is a bit blurry.

This is me sticking up for the "comedic" tone that may have derailed Lord and Miller's version. APPARENTLY that's the problem right?

And a lot of people went "oh man... too comedic! That would be terrible! Han's not comedic! What?!?!"

I'm gonna say I sitll think Lord and Miller's would have been great, and the tone would have been fine... and here's why.

I was just watching this thing, and they were talking Ford and Han and blah blah... and it hit me....

If you watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, and then jumped to The Last Crusade, They would tonally seem like completely different Indiana Joneses.

Raiders is super serious... a couple little "chuckles", where as The Last Crusade is full of yucks. Seeing it for the first time back to back would be super jarring from a character stand point. What if this was the same? WHAT IF THEY KILLED THEIR "THE LAST CRUSADE" OF THE "STAR WARS UNIVERSE"???:

They saw Rogue One... they saw Rogue One numbers... then watched a humorous movie.

They basically watched raiders, saw how popular Indy was, then saw a funny light version of Indy, and panicked. "MAKE INDY LIKE THAT LAST INDY!!! NO SMILING!"

"MAKE THIS FUN STAR WARS LIKE THE LAST STAR WARS WAR MOVIE! NO SMILING!"

I hope this made sense.

What.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back