Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

3. DakGibralter

DakGibralter Member

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Awesome news. An all-scoundrel SW film is what the anthology films were meant for.

Done properly, I love the idea of an action comedy about young Han.

I'm predicting it will be a retconned Chewie Life-Debt origin story.

4. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

Who'd have thought ten years ago that we'd get all these movies?

5. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

May 25th, 2018! Was that when the Trank film was supposed to drop?

6. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is now scheduled for May 2018 release.

Here is Chris Miller's recent tweet confirming the news.

[​IMG]

7. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Oh man. I had really hoped we wouldn't get a young Han Solo movie. I'm not encouraged by their choice of director(s) either but at least Kasdan is involved, I guess...

mugatu likes this.
  8. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes! Phil Lord and Chris Miller are definitely known more for their comedy... but man, these guys are talented, and I totally buy them pulling this off. With Kasdan writing... and two guys who are excellent film makers... I am now IN on a movie I had NO interest in seeing getting made.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    E Williams likes this.
  9. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Casting will determine whether this sinks or swims.

Director Krenic, mugatu and Reelo like this.
  10. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Totally.

Director Krenic likes this.
  11. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Casting, and the writing, and the music, and the editing, and the ever elusive capturing of the Star Wars mystique.

12. blewis17

blewis17 Sr Member

His Ford is just OK, but hey... Anthon was actually IN a movie with Ford!

And... his 3 Joker impressions are spot on.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Dart likes this.
  13. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Heck, what if Chris Pratt gets this movie too....

Director Krenic likes this.
  14. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did anybody see that life of adeline or whatever it's called movie with Ingruber ? Was he good ? Because yeah he looks like Ford, but I'd rather have a talented actor that looks less like Ford than a sosie with mediocre acting skills. Pratt might be too old already no ? He's the age Ford was during the OT, if it's a prequel I imagine they will go younger. I've seen the name of Taron Egerton, Eggsy from Kingsman, online but it was fan casting mostly I think.

Riceball likes this.
  15. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Remember Superman Returns? I heard something like Routh wasn't acting in the film, it was a Reeve impersonation and not his own work and felt awkward about it. Might be the same here of they choose someone who can impersonate him good. I can do a few poses and voices like Ford, but to be cast as that character would mean to impersonate the previous actor and not a full ownership of the role

16. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

I just gotta think Pratt is too old.this film likely will have to be before ANH and a late teen, early 20 Solo would be a great option.

17. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Yeah, that may be the case. I was just thinking it would be funny if he got Indy and Han.....

I hope they go with a 20's Solo, I really don't want to see angsty teen Han.

Separately....was all the stuff with Han in the Imperial Academy thrown out with the EU? Or was that established somewhere else in canon?

18. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

All EU.

19. batguy

batguy Sr Member

If we want 20s Han in the movie then it will probably be an actor who got recognized from teenage roles.

20. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

That's my thoughts exactly. Unless they get someone that all the fans will immediately say "That's Han Solo" it's going to be awful.

Wolfsburg likes this.
  21. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Totally agree. There are just so many possibilities with this Anthology format that they could've quite easily avoided this can of worms...With Han Solo being such a beloved character, there are just way too many ways this can go horribly wrong. It will be quite a feat if this turns out decently.

I'd rather see tales of characters we have never seen before. I thought that was what this Anthology series would be, not delving into origin stories of existing characters.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  22. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

I'd watch a SW movie if it was just Palpatine reading the Tatooine phone book, but my issue with this is that by the end of the film, he has to be a selfish jerk.

A B.A. jerk, but a jerk nonetheless.

We could end up with one of the same complaints about the PT. We all knew how Vader ended up, but some folks didn't like the way he got there.

kickman88 likes this.
  23. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Yup, good movie. Anthony looked and sounded just like a young Harrison. But he appeared in the film in flashbacks which contained only a few lines of dialogue and only like one close-up of his face. So it was not much to judge him by. I hope he can indeed act, because if he can and he lands the role, I expect he'll be awesome. Here's a screencap of his close-up in the film.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/17/d3/a4/17d3a4c196df1cbc0e5e791b4316bd8e.jpg

The Wook

24. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is essentially an origin film. Why do we need origin films? Didn't Disney learn anything from the prequels? This Han Solo movie has the potential to be either really awesome or really awful. Next thing we'll see is a Yoda origin movie. Now that would be truly awful. What makes these characters so wonderful is that they have a bit of mystery to them. Not everything about them is told. We as an audience infer depth to them which gives them their richness. If we are told everything it makes them less powerful.

I just don't see this turning out well. The star wars universe is enormous. Why not tell a story about characters not tied to ANY of the principles? I thought that was the point of these anthology films. To explore areas we haven't seem yet. Rogue One sounds pretty awesome and is not going to rely on the Jedi or lightsaber battles. A gritty war film set in the galaxy far far away. That sounds pretty great to me. I'd like to see them make more anthology films like that. Take risks. A Han Solo origin movie is playing it too safe to my mind.

25. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wonder if this movie will explain the boba feet solo connection?

26. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

They seem to be doing just that with Rogue One.

27. DINVADER

DINVADER Sr Member

28. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow....lots of good choices. The directors have already worked with Pratt on The Lego Movie so thats gonna work well for him. This Anthony kid.....never heard of him before seeing his impersonations earlier in this thread. Put a scar on his chin and he could play Ford all day long. Star Wars is known for casting lesser known actors, so that will bode well for Anthony. Pratt might be too big at this point, but he has a huge 'likeable' factor.

For a brief second I though about Nathon Fillian. I get a kick out of his acting........maybe put him in an Uncharted franchise.

Speaking of scars....is there a story about Solos chin scar? It would be kinda cool if he got it rescuing Chewie.

29. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Yeah, which is a good thing. I just want to see more of that kind of thinking.

30. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I don't think that the Anthony kid would necessarily be a good choice, at least not based on his impersonations alone. Just because he's good at impersonation Harrison Ford as Han Solo does not necessarily mean that he can act. If the Han Solo movie was to be nothing but a rehash of all of Harrison Ford's lines and scenes from the OT then this kid would be a shoe in, but it won't, it's going to have all new lines in all new scenes and the kid would have to come up with his own readings and reactions of them instead of simply imitating what Harrison Ford did. It's sort of like saying that someone who is awesome at copying the works of the Masters is a great artist in their own right and can create original works of their own as good as the Masters.

31. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I get what you are saying and agree. But, he has had steady acting work according to his IMDB account. Ill get flamed for this but, SW isnt know for its in depth acting.

32. DINVADER

DINVADER Sr Member

Riceball, I guess you didn't even read that he had film work and was actually the young version of Ford in movie Age of Adeline. Chris Pratt is already older than Han was in ANH. For continuity Anthony is the best candidate other than a time machine to get get a younger Ford. Anthony should at least be given a screen test.

Dart likes this.
  33. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love Chris Pratt a ton for his work. That being said, I would rather Pratt not be considered for Han Solo. I'd much rather give that to Anthony as well.

halliwax likes this.
  34. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

I think there is little chance this film takes place during the OT or after and that would make Pratt too old. He'd be great for an Indy reboot, though.

35. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I was just thinking today that if they show when he gets the Falcon, which I don't know why they wouldn't, they would also have to find a young Lando. So you have two very iconic personalities that they're going to have to try to recreate with younger actors.

Riceball likes this.
  36. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

You mean like the X-Men fans did with the casting of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I went with a friend to see X-Men. He grumbled all the way. THEN the claws came out and he looked at me and said "Holy SH-- that's F-ing Wolverine". As always give whoever they cast a chance before hurling invectives about it.

37. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Maybe it will be obvious before the movie or maybe it will become obvious during it. But either way it has to be the right actor. The whole project hinges on it.

I also vote that Han Solo origins/movies are an iffy idea period.

Why can't they make a decent Wolverine movie? It's at least partly because Logan works better as a side character than the primary. Some comparisons could be made between Wolverine's role in the first couple of X-Men movies and Han Solo in ANH & ESB.

38. reelprops

reelprops Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ingruber for Solo and Indy. Mark my words.

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertsonick and Dart like this.
  39. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Consider your words Mark'd.

40. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The nice thing about them doing a Han Solo "prequel" is that the Han Solo we all know and love was probably a bit different as a young man. I'm definitely on the Ingruber train because even though he can do a decent impression, he won't have to (if he got the part). If you think Han in ANH was cocky and a bit ruthless, what was he like 10 years or so before that? There's plenty of space for a young actor to do their version of Han Solo without having to do an impression of the older version. Just have to throw in the little things that make Solo so appealing to everyone and build around that.

reelprops likes this.
  41. reelprops

jkno and Dart like this.
  42. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

exactly. River Phoenix made Young Indy his own and very believable because he took on some of the characteristics and ticks that Harrison gave Indy. Ingruber knows those personality characteristics already.. he is way ahead of the game if he is chosen to audition. now, remember, Ingruber did that youtube "reel" SEVEN Years ago ( 2008)
    He is now 25 and has some experience with a few projects. If he can act... I am all behind the guy to be Han Solo... after all, Han Solo isn't exactly Shakespeare anyway! :D

for me, Han Solo has to look like a young Han Solo to keep my in the world of Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away. Ewan McGregor was a pretty close young resemblance so he was believable as Young Obi Wan to me in the prequels. if he looked nothing like him then we wouldn't feel the connection to the character. the actor to play young Han really has to look like it could be Harry Ford as a younger version for this to actually work and Ingruber has the look... that's not saying they can't find someone else that does as well. I want to SEE a young Han Solo (Harrison Ford look alike) on screen. A doppelgänger is a prerequisite in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Dart, Wolfsburg, Reelo and 1 other person like this.
  43. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

44. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Anthony Ingruber no doubt about it. Guy from breaking Bad no way, he's not even in the same ball park as Ingruber.

45. DakGibralter

DakGibralter Member

I think the rumor is that Aaron Paul is going to be in Rogue One, not playing Han.

Personally, I think Ingruber is great but I'd rather see someone who naturally embodies the character, not watch a two hour impersonation. In short bursts I think he's great, but finding a guy who can carry a film on his back is more important for me. Not to say he can't do it, but I don't know that the evidence is there.

46. reelprops

A 2 hour impersonation is exactly what we need. The film needs someone who looks and talks like Harry. This isn't a case like the recast of Obi Wan where the character was already in his 60's. We've already seen a 30ish Han Solo and that's what the fans are looking for. After all, we are a picky crowd [emoji12]

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

+1 Anthony Ingruber.

48. DakGibralter

DakGibralter Member

Eh, I'd prefer they cast the best actor. An impressionist often doesn't have a lot of range outside of mimicking what's already been seen on screen.

If I want to see young Harrison Ford doing ANH Solo, I'll watch ANH. If we're getting an origin story with the character in a completely different situation chronologically, emotionally and physically, I want the actor who can take us there convincingly, even if that means showing a character who isn't exactly what we expect. Otherwise, it risks coming off like cartoonish fan service. IMHO.

49. DakGibralter

DakGibralter Member

To be clear, I'm not advocating a "fresh take" or reinterpretation of the character. Solo is Solo, period. I'll leave it to that OTHER active thread to deal with the validity of rebooting a beloved character.

But I think the right actor can bring more to an existing character - without resorting to reimagining anything - better than someone who's building their performance, outside-in, from a place of rote impersonation.

50. Borjis

Borjis Well-Known Member

+2 Anthony Ingruber.