Solo: A Star Wars Story

Novels, radio shows and cartoons are not canon.

Only the movies are canon. And when I say, "movies", I mean the only two true Star Wars films in the franchise: the theatrical cuts of Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back.

The Wook

So no offense, but why keep posting then? If the last "real SW" film came out in 1980...why comment on any of this? If even Lucas in his prime, making ROTJ, isn't up to your standards, you KNOW no new film is gonna cut it. So...why bother? Get some Harmy blurays, throw out ROTJ, and enjoy your two SW movies. What do you get out of participating in SW discussions? 38 year old venting? It's like going on reddit venting about Carter giving away the Panama Canal :lol

So no offense, but why keep posting then? If the last "real SW" film came out in 1980...why comment on any of this? If even Lucas in his prime, making ROTJ, isn't up to your standards, you KNOW no new film is gonna cut it. So...why bother? Get some Harmy blurays, throw out ROTJ, and enjoy your two SW movies. What do you get out of participating in SW discussions? 38 year old venting? It's like going on reddit venting about Carter giving away the Panama Canal :lol

For the umpteenth time, some of the films which have followed ESB over the decades have had moments, or even whole scenes, which I love. Here are all of them, IIRC:

ROTJ: jabba's palace, forest speeder chase, vader's arrival on DS, admiral piett, luke-vader duel, space battle
TPM: podrace, duel of fates
AOTC: obi wan-dex diner scene, jango-obi wan fight
ROTS: darth plageuis opera scene, palpatine becoming sidious scene (love/hate, actually, cuz i love sidious' coming out, but hated how weak and lame anakin's turn was)
TFA: injured chewie getting up to the sound of dejarik game turning on, BB-8
R1: all the tarkin scenes, the plot line about the weakness being built into the DS, K2-SO, the OT rebel pilots, vaders's rampage at end
TLJ: [crickets]
SOLO: the set and creatures of the first sabacc game, glover's lando (but only some of the time)

So, as you can see, I have been able to find some pearls in all but one of these post-ESB films. But as you can also see, the last two films have been the weakest of them all. TLJ offering NO pearls whatsoever, and SOLO offering so little as to hardly be worth mentioning.

And yet, I am an optimist by nature, and I'm praying the rightsholders learn the correct lessons from these last two disasters, and get their SWIQ together for the next film.

This is why I'm here. Because hope springs eternal, in the human breast.

The Wook

ps~I may be forgetting a few things about ROTJ, but overall, this is a rather comprehensive list of what I loved in each of these films.

Last edited:
Wait... What? This is a joke, right? You just put this in to see if anyone was paying attention. The diner scene is arguably the lamest in the movie, sand and Deathsticks notwithstanding.

Everything else seems to check out, though. :thumbsup

Gosh, I haven't watched AOTC in ages. But I do recall thinking Ewan was fantastic in that scene!

The Wook

Wait... What? This is a joke, right? You just put this in to see if anyone was paying attention. The diner scene is arguably the lamest in the movie, sand and Deathsticks notwithstanding.

Everything else seems to check out, though. :thumbsup

Yes, I was shocked that was included. I was just making fun of that scene the other day. But it's a good point about Ewan being good in that scene. He's definitely the best part of the prequels.

Yes, his natural charm really shined in that scene. More so than any other in the PT, I daresay.

Not an easy scene, either, with no human to inter-act with.

The Wook

Fair enough, but it always struck me as one of George's "Wouldn't it be funny if..?" moments. "Wouldn't it be funny if we put a 50s diner in the middle of a Star Wars movie?" Or "Wouldn't it be funny if there was a full-blown song and dance number in a Star Wars movie (ROTJ)". Uh, no.

Ewan is a talented actor. Having him involved in a new Obi-Wan movie ups its street cred immeasurably, IMO. But the Mel's Diner business was just terrible. We have a diner like that down the street. I don't need to see it in a Star Wars movie.

But I digress. This is the SOLO thread after all. ;)

I put this in the post please thread but since it was a hot topic here, I'm sharing it as well. Puts that debate to rest.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 3.45.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 3.45.32 PM.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 77
I read somewhere that they chose the first person who auditioned.

He was. But they had a lengthy audition process after that. According to John Kasdan, who is likely to know the truth, they did audition A.I. There were many claims they did not. Anthony and the Lord and Miller team and the Kasdan's are the only ones who know the truth and here is one of them saying they did.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back