Solo: A Star Wars Story

Part of the Cool Club. :) I have to be honest, I respect people who don't hide behind an avatar or use their real name. You would never not @ me, you would tell me to go F myself to my face and that makes me happy. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I think Lucasfilm is breathing a sigh of relief in so far as this could have been a disaster of a film and it's not.
How do you know thats not a picture of me drawn by Jim Lee Bryan!?!? I would tell you to F yourself to your face. Maybe next time Im out in AZ I can do it! Over a beer of course. :D

Problem is, the writer uses the "official" opening weekend metric, which, for Solo, is May 25-27. I.e., Fri-Sat-Sun. I don't know whether early screenings on Thursday factor into that. But holiday weekends should have that Monday factored in, too, as I saw Solo the second time on Monday, with friends who I could only see it with that day because it was a holiday. So yeah -- over the same three-day stretch, Solo only made $84M to Justice League's $94M, but over its full weekend it made $143M, which is half again as much as Justice League did. The numbers need more caveats, and the general language of the article feels somewhat biased rather than objective.

As for drop-off, only time will tell.

Problem is, the writer uses the "official" opening weekend metric, which, for Solo, is May 25-27. I.e., Fri-Sat-Sun. I don't know whether early screenings on Thursday factor into that. But holiday weekends should have that Monday factored in, too, as I saw Solo the second time on Monday, with friends who I could only see it with that day because it was a holiday. So yeah -- over the same three-day stretch, Solo only made $84M to Justice League's $94M, but over its full weekend it made $143M, which is half again as much as Justice League did. The numbers need more caveats, and the general language of the article feels somewhat biased rather than objective.

As for drop-off, only time will tell.

Every other Star Wars movie has debuted with massive openings and dropped off from there, it would be safe to assume that this movie is not that extraordinary that it will be the opposite of that. Most reviews I`m reading are only putting it in the "its not a bad movie" category.

A guy who's not such a coward as to make an obnoxious comment about someone without @ them as you did in the other Solo thread. And @kristen jones is one of many who use their own picture. @PHArchivist. @moffeaton.

Indeed I DO use my own picture as my avatar... and I am feeling deciedly UN douchey over here.

I don't have a problem with people not using their pictures as avatars... but I DO have a problem with those who suggest that someone who does is a "******" because they choose to.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing! :)

The backers of Blade Runner 2049 arent sleeping any better at night with the knowledge they made an incredible movie but no money.

This part of what you said true. There were 7 production companies associated with BR 2049 (I looked it up) so the loss was distributed. Still a tough one for the smaller companies to swallow. Disney studio's realize profit and loss as a single reportable line item, so an underperforming film like Solo doesn't have a material impact on that revenue when in the same year you have Black Panther and Avengers:Infinity War are up to $3.4B for 2018, the top 2 films worldwide, and they still have Incredibles 2, Mary Poppins, Wreck it Ralph 2, and Ant Man and the Wasp still to come. They aren't loosing any sleep over this.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Yeah. My "bloody eyeball pic". Not as cool as it sounds, just from a medical procedure.

You know what's funny is that I always assumed that was you. :)

Last edited:
If the 2.4 percent loss on the stock price drops any further, substantial share holders might be reaching for the warm milk. I`m sure they arent in it for break even.;)

Stock was down Tuesday 2% along with a 2% decline in the S&P 500. It's been under pressure the past few weeks due to uncertainty surrounding the Fox media assets acquisition. They have offered $52B for Fox and the Fox shareholders will vote on that June 15th. However, Comcast is now trying to put in a higher offer and thats hurting Disney's share's as they may need to pay more. It's dilutive to earnings.

Anyway, that's a long way of pointing out the Solo $ has nothing to do with what's going on with Disney equity. I hope you found that somewhat enlightening. :) I started buying it for investors just when the acquisition was announced in 2012 at around $49. It's $99 now so that's not too bad. Been as high as $113 but ESPN worries have been hurting it too the past year and a half.

That counter offer may be far more attractive, hope you found that somewhat enlightening. Maybe if they miss out they can invest in some quality writers.

You haven't perused her awesome costume threads?
You need to get out more, man.
There's a whole world outside the entertainment forum. ;)

Oh, I do venture out from time to time. Love sofaking's Falcon cockpit build thread! But I'll look for Kristen's costumes!

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back