Soft Foam <acronym title='Alien Vs Predator'>AVP</acronym> Armor

Ostberg

I've been thinking of making a predator suit for a long while now, Celtic ofcourse(hottest one ever by far ;)) and i decided now to start one made out of foam mats, found fairly cheap ones by googling, about 3-3.5 euros a roll.
180x50cm 8mm thick and 190x60cm 14mm thick, both made out of extra tough closed cellular plastic.
I'm going to wait with learning how to mold etc with resin, soft foam armor is very flexible aswell.

It's Vinman's model of the AVP armor, i have modified most parts.

Shoulder.
S1080001.jpg.gif

S1080003.jpg.gif

S1080004.jpg.gif

S1080006.jpg.gif

S1080007.jpg.gif

S1110001.jpg.gif

Waiting with gauntlets and chest until i'm done with the skin, unfortunately i can't continue my suit before i have recieved my liquid latex, airbrush, paint and pred mask & bio from Biohunter, need mask and bio to be able to match colors.
So maybe in 1-3 weeks, should get latex sometime this week, but the delivery guy is soooo slow >=(
Glue makes you dizzy :<
And yes, i-spy dust aswell!

Opinions and tips accepted.

A small update.
Not much, but i've been painting Bambooie's dreadbeads, airbrushing is fun and in my opinion much cheaper(paint wise), then using spraypaint on cans, precision and the experience is much much higher aswell. :)
I have several things coming, i can't go full out on my suit before i've recieved them, once i do, i'll be out in the garage fulltime :)
Sorry for blurry pictures, don't know what's up with the camera.

S1130001.jpg.gif

S1130002.jpg.gif

Painting them in golden, silver and bronze color, tho the bronze paint i bought looked crap, so i'll try copper instead, will finish them off with a old, worn look with some black paint i will apply and then brush off, then some flat laquer, then dreadbeads part is done

This picture reminds me that i gotta clean the garage out from junk...

Been running errands today and haven't had much time to spend on the suit.
Recieved 12kg Polyurethane liquid foam today, so i decided to start doing the dummy of myself.
I put on a pair of old long johns and started wrapping my legs up with duct tape, i did it all alone! flexible like a boss :D
Used a pair of scissors to get me out from it ofcourse, opened up on both left and right side of my legs, then left a 2cm gap and closed the pants with more tape, so it's not going to be a struggle to get them on once they are done.

S1140010.jpg.gif

I probably should add some more duct tape around the waist part, can always cut off the latex after.
The plan is to put on a pair of pants / long johns on the dummy, and simply brush on liquid latex, i don't really know how many layers will be needed, i heard 4-7.
Also got a 1kg cotton wool roll i bought from a horse store, to add 3D muscle parts underneath the latex skin :)

Polyurethane foam is really fun to work with, got no pictures yet, i've just been testing some out at the moment, it expands ALOT.
Will update again soon.

Homepred:
I'm going to use a gray primer i got and used for the dreadbeads, it attaches to most materials it says, and so far it has :)
I'm probably going to have to mix the paint and even the primer with some pros-aide adhesive and perma-wet, due to the soft foams high flexibility, paint will crack up otherwise for sure.
Will try paint pieces of soft foam just like you would with a latex skin, i still need to test what will be best.

ofak:
Yep!, the armor is extremely light and flexible, made out of extra tough closed cellular plastic.

Waiting for pros-aide, perma-wet and lots of paint to arrive at the moment.
I don't like living in a village! proper hobby stores are rare

I live in a village too, Östberg, so I know what you're talking about. Looong distance to everything. Upside is, not many neighbours that can complain about smelly chemicals or noise. :p
Good luck with the suitbuilding. ;)

You took the words from my mouth CoolleKotten :)
Everything is perfect when your house is outside the town, everything but shopping hobby materials!
I got around 20 minute drive to the closest town, ofcourse we got food store etc in the village, but clothes, paint and alot more is usually better in a bigger town.

Small update, finished wristblades in Mechanical Desktop, going to send the dxf file to an old friend to see if it's ok to work with in a CNC machine.
AvP blade (extra long as i prefer them!)

WBbild2.jpg.gif

WBbild.jpg.gif

It's 680mm long, 5mm wide, 170mm high (bear in mind that the blade is bent).
Feel free to leave comments about the shape, etc about it, is it too wide at some spots? too thin? not pointy enough? any comments will help me think and probably improve it.
It's all about details, isn't it :)

Gonna try glue on foamies pieces to add 3D effects on the sides of the blade.
And if the blades turn out being too long, it's always possible to trim them down with sandpaper / saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm bad at updating, sorry, been so busy.
So i made the drawing, an old friend cut it out, here are the results.

S1190001.jpg.gif

My friend really got me when he apologized to me and said that he had made 200x of these!

S1190002.jpg.gif

Well, what don't you have friends for :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrived today:
Early christmas? i believe so!
And Biohunter is santa claus.
1. :p Fragile!
S1210003.jpg.gif

2. Yay paper!
S1210004.jpg.gif

3. Can it be!?
Skittles!
S1210005.jpg.gif

4. Bio.
S1210006.jpg.gif

5. Mask.
S1210010.jpg.gif

6. Together.
S1210019.jpg.gif

7. Custom made Tri-laser.
S1210022.jpg.gif

8. And working!
S1210023.jpg.gif

9. Mask solo.
S1210017.jpg.gif

10. Side-view.
S1210015.jpg.gif

11. Bio solo
S1210007.jpg.gif

12. And side-view.
S1210008.jpg.gif

13. Gloves.
S1210013.jpg.gif

Will be painting my armor next as soon as i recieve some items i've been waiting for.
Forgot to add that i have alot of dreadbeads, tho haven't had time to put them on.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back