So will you be watching Spartacus without Andy Whitfield?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by HDPE, Jan 6, 2012.

1. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

I won't.

I bought Gods of the Arena b/c I thought a prequel was a great idea but

that's it for me.

Shame because I really liked the show, Manu Bennet, Viva :love Bianca and

the rest of the cast.:unsure

2. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I would be watching if I still had Starz. Andy may not have been able to reprise his role, but from what I've seen of the filming of the new season, the cast and crew have very much tried to keep him there in spirit.

3. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Exactly, this isn't a "Bewitched" situation. The cast and crew are honoring him by keeping it faithful to the character. I'll watch because I really liked AW, and think he'd agree, The Show Must Go On.

4. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

If it ain't on Netflix streaming, I won't be watching it. :)

5. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed. It's not like they just decided to replace him. They held production hoping he would get better. He gracefully backed out and told them to go on without him. And then he unfortunately died. I think the new season is worth watching to give it a chance. If you decide you don't like the new guy or don't like the direction of the show, stop watching it. But not watching it just because a new actor is in it is kind of silly.

6. steveo

steveo Sr Member

I will watch it to honor his memory. The first season was great and he made a great Spartacus. Shame that he died way too young.

7. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Well, from what I know, Andy Whitfield actually gave his approval on Spartacus continuing without him. From what I heard he also okayed the actor who is now in the role (I could very well be wrong, as its what I heard). So, if he was okay with it, especially knowing his health was failing him and he believed in the show, why should anyone else not be okay with it?

8. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

no starz and since netflix screwed the pooch .

9. The BDK

The BDK Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll be watching. I'll miss AW, he made a great Spartacus.

10. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I'll be watching it! It's not like they fired him, he can't play the role anymore and rather than let the series die they will carry on!

11. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I'll watch...Plus didn't he give his blessing for this new actor?

12. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

I'll be watching! My wife got me watching, and I loved Gods of the Arena as well. Plus, Lucy Lawless says there will be "Crazy people sex" :lol Can't go wrong!

13. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

what do you mean netflix screwed the pooch? it wont be on nf?

14. CrimsonCoscrafts

CrimsonCoscrafts Active Member

You are completely right, he sat through the auditions! I was sad to see him go as he brought some serious raw acting ability to the show. I will deffo be watching the new season, I do feel the new Spartacus is not ripped enough compared to Andy...

15. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I'll watch it but Whitfield defined that character. The prequel was so so. Watching Spartacus grow as a character was impressive in the first season. Of course, I'll never forget this scene.

16. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

I'll watch it no matter what. I loved how Andy played the character, but it's not just him but the whole show what hooked my person into it, I loved Gods of the arena the same or even more because of the intensity of the short season and because they nailed the way to explain everything and to give more info about the characters.

I'm going to watch it, no matter what.

17. Rbeato

Rbeato Sr Member

Andy literally told the producer to keep filming the show by saying "this story must be told" I saw the first episode, yes its different without Andy as he nailed that role better than anyone ever could have, from the acting, his look, voice everything, which is why it makes it hard to watch with the new guy even though he has a slight resemblence sometimes, but no where near as good of, it may have just been the first episode but it seemed like he was "over playing" the role. but we'll see how it turns out. I'll definitely be watching BECAUSE Andy gave his seal of approval, plus I can't wait for Gannicus to join in. I'm still curious how he is going to fit in, and what he is going to do. and from the previews it looks like Anameus is getting lashed by Asher at the Ludus? I wonder how that comes to be...should be a great season. in the comic con interview they say there is one episode where the writer/director says they really really kill A LOT of people. And i thought the last episode of blood and sand they killed a lot, but he made it seem like its going to be a helluva lot more killed.

18. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

I think not watching because Andy is not there is silly. If the new season is successful it will only mean new people will go back and watch the previous season with Andy so because of the new season I think more people will get to see Andy and that is a good thing for him and his family.

19. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Like I said in the other thread, come Feb 28th, all Starz content will be gone from Netflix (including Spartacus).

So enjoy it while it's available!!

20. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Did you know you can watch chapter one online (from Vengeance) at the Starz website since day 20 or so?

21. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I will still watch...Greatest show ever. It's not the new guy's fault that Andy died. I will give him the chance. Gods of the Arena was excellant and Andy wasn't in that, so I believe the show can go on. Let's show this guy some support, otherwise there may be no Spartacus at all!!

22. cptmycpt24

cptmycpt24 New Member

I wasn't going too, but got pulled in by a few fiends. We'll see if I keep watching.

23. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I really don't like the new Neavia.

24. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Anyone know why they replaced Neavia? I like the new Spartacus, but he really just doesn't have the charisma of Andy. :(

25. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I heard she did not want to do the nudity anymore.....But that's just what I heard..

26. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Is anyone watching this on SyFy? I haven't been as I have all of them on disc. I was just wondering how chopped up it is? This was one of the hardest R shows I've ever seen. I can't imagine how edited it must be for network tv.

27. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

They do a lot of pixelation and CGI undies from what I understand.