So, why the hating on P2?

hez1

This popped up in another thread, and made me wonder, yet again, why people hate on P2. Was it just because Danny Glover didn't have the physical presence of Arnie? The city backdrop?

So far it's the only one of the movies that has really expanded on the original. It gave us new weapons, a look into the clan idea, the trophies they collect and their history. I liked Predators just fine, but it was basically Predator with 3 main differences. P2 actually went out there and did something different, which if I may wax nostalgic for a moment, was how they had to do things back then. None of this just rehashing what has been done before with different death scenes (I'm looking at you, Scream and Final Destination series).

Both AVP movies were actually good ideas I thought, spoiled by just terrible execution. So come on...explain to me why P2 sucks.

I myself thought P2 was one of the best sequels out there.just like you said...newly designed Predator,new weapons,great action,new landscape.....and my favorite...we all got to see the Lost Hunters at the end...not to mention our very first Elder. I never understood the hate.....you cant please them all....with anything!!!!

Personally I'm a P1 fan .I used to be a P1 purist but Now I love the P2 for the reasons you've mentioned paul.
the cutting disk,the spear, the armor etc,etc, everything on that ugly mofo scrams bad ass!
the only thing I hate about P2 is that stupid whore Maria conchita alonso's acting I wonder how many casting couches she had to go thru to get that part.

I will go even further. I've always liked P2 more than P1. The predator is more menacing and has more screen time, the action scenes are way cooler, the ambient is much more creepy. It's more like my kind of movie. I haven't seen the whole Predators movie, but I saw some of the scenes 'somehow' (All the Mr Black scenes) and it looks like a step backwards from P2.

Nothing wrong with P2 imo, apart from a couple of very dodgy acting displays.

the rest of the film as Paul said, did a great deal for what we love about the creature, it expanded juuuuuuuuuuuust enough to keep us interested , but not so much that the creature lost all its mystique.

Pussyface was the best looking pred! Super cool gadgets, clan members, great story etc list is endless.
So good that I'm building suit now...
IMG_0184.jpg

I'm pretty much going to echo everyone who have responded so far. Outside of most of the acting the movie is awesome. I'm extremely biased of course because you could put Predator in a barbie movie and I'd like it. Honestly my favorite part is torward the end when Predator has to patch himself up after getting his arm cut off. I'm forever fascinated by all the small nuances they came up with for something rather low key (despite all the screaming he did when it put the mush on his open wounds). I could watch a whole movie with nothing but Predators going about their daily lives...and not just the hunting either. But then again, hunting seems to be a heavy preoccupation for them.

Anyway. Just my two cents.

P2 was an awful inception to the pull of predator series.ideas r only that,unless executed correctly.it was a punk fest at best,meaning.drawn out story of the bad guys.the 80'2 were a political reflection of the drug/crime scene ,and they took advantage of it fully(beveryly hills cop,robocop,etc).the predator had nothing to do with the story.b real fellow geeks,it was a sci fi scarface.

The P2 movie gave us a lot og weaponry that we see today: the spear, cutting disc, netting, etc...I believe that having the setting in the city helped the Predator character even more...it made it that it hunts anywhere and pretty much anything. I still put it up there in my top 3.

I just think it was a victim of the new, much anticipated Predators movie taking place right after the first one.

As for AVP and AVPR...both had great story lines. The part with AVP was the creatures weren't to par, the acting was sub-par, and it was too much for the alien. AVPR was very good, all they had to do was turn the damn light on!

I love P2 just because of what a clever twist the writers did to what could've been a cut-and-paste, paint-by-numbers job it could've been. We could've ended up with Robowars. Instead the writers actually had the smarts to take the idea of the "jungle" and do a new twist to it, ala "concrete jungle" of LA.

Plus the preds looked damn cool.

now all you P2 fans come out of hiding!

I was watching it a little while back actually, and noticed some text on the monitors in Keyes truck, that I thought said 'beowulf', which I thought was a very cool little nod to the fact that they were hunting a monster. I was really disappointed when I got a better look and it said 'owlf' ;)

P2 was awesome, but flawed. I don't hate it, just find it sort of inconsistent compared to any other Pred film.

1. The gangs were too over the top/cartoony. Seemed to be trying to imitate Robocop's over-the-top villians, but without the satire it fails.
2. The cops are all goofy. And they're dressed like blind Matlock extras. The "future" costume/production design was a failure, imo. The should have stuck it in LA modern day. That's my single biggest gripe.
3. Some realllllly bad writing.

1. The pros: I like that they didn't do another 80's steroid hero. I like that they deviated from that crap.
2. Nice and violent!
3. The Predator's new weapons were fun.
4. LOVE the city backdrop.
5. The Lost Hunters. What a great end. One of my favorite ends of any film. And the elder giving him the flintlock--goosebumps.

Overall my order goes:

1. Predator
2. Predators
3. AVP: Requiem/P2 tie
4. AVP

I don't hate P2, just see a lot of wasted opportunities/mis-steps. My #2 gripe is really a biggie.

I love P2 just because of what a clever twist the writers did to what could've been a cut-and-paste, paint-by-numbers job it could've been. We could've ended up with Robowars. Instead the writers actually had the smarts to take the idea of the "jungle" and do a new twist to it, ala "concrete jungle" of LA.

Plus the preds looked damn cool.

That's what I like. The concrete jungle twist is cool.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back