SMT Galactic Shuttle

Okay, first off, the one on Ed' site is the real one after it was restored.

As for the CGI TOS era shuttle from the BSG remake series, it is the shuttle my partner Don and I did. A long with the Gemini freighter, new shuttle and we assisted in many more.

It was made using all the kits I could ID and purchase. That's why Alfred' is not going to be 100%. He doesn't have the few thousand dollars for all those kits. Per his statement on public forums. Only about two kits are yet to be IDed for my replica.

As for SLAing a TOS era shuttle, I'm not sure that has happened.

I tried to call you George. I'm a little behind getting back in touch with everyone.

Mark

OK the proptotype of the SMT shuttle did not look like the flat nosed picture a few posts back... Yikes. Now I'd like to address the concept of accuracy a bit. Obviously the best way to ensure accuracy is to use 100% of the kits used on the original build, but to my mind having all of the kits is not the only way to ensure accuracy. There have been many examples around here of awesome "accurate" models that were built with real and scratch built parts. Moes Falcon is a perfect exapmple of this. He scratchbuilt the gearboxes along the mandible side panels for his falcon. The boxes are not the real deal... but are they accurate? - I'd say so - they look like they are supposed to and they are in the correct position on the model. So when discussing the SMT shuttle I concede that Alfred has said he did not use all of the kits that they original used - but is there a part on the model that looks like the part used on the original model? On casual inspection it looks darn close to me. I do admit though that I have not poured over all of the reference material on the shuttle so I'm positive some of you guys are more intimate with the details then I am. If some of you would like to point out where the SMT shuttle differs... I'd appreciate it ;)

http://www.alfredsmind.ca/shuttlepv.html

Jedi Dade

Hi JD,
Some of the parts on the top look to be correct. The Marder is a easliy found kit. Just not the vintage one. But the re issue of that kit by a China company is easily found for cheap. There are several expensive kits on the shuttle and they are vital parts for dims. You can have X parts and not Y parts which will leave you too long and just right in width or the revearse. Also, the heigth could be right or wrong with out having all the parts and knowing all the angles. It's not the hardest mini to replicate but it sure is one of them. Hidden details all around. And the belly detail. ouch ;)

I have presonally built four bodies. All right in one way but not the other. Now that I have just about all the kits/parts, not castings of parts, it has made confirmation easier. That is not the only way I know the new one is right :rolleyes

I wouldn't rush this kit to release just for the sake of getting one out. CC took a while doing the X-Wing and.................. IT stands on it owns :) Just like the up and coming Star Wars goodies from Steve ;)

Mark

Cool. I have a CC X-wing and an older TIE from Steve. Both rock, although I've been severely tempted to get steves new TIE...my wife would kill me I think ;) I also agree its not worth it to rush it to get it out if you could take your time and get it right... No arguments there. Having built a couple of bodies how does Alfred's shuttle body look to you. To me it looks like the nose might have a slightly off angle but Like I said earlier - I have't poured over all the availabe reference to make those kinds of claims ;)

Jedi Dade

Originally posted by saintg@Jun 9 2005, 04:01 AM
It was SLAed from files of the NEW show.  Not of someone's renderings from the model of the original.  So it is accurate to the shuttle of the new series.
George :D
[snapback]1008009[/snapback]​

It looks to me like the drawing you posted a link to is "justified" to match the full-scale set piece as opposed to the filming miniature. The cabin area is HUGE versus the engine area.

I'm not familiar with the shuttle from the new series, so I can't say anything about the second image except that I know it doesn't match the original shuttle geometry.

-Gordon

I'll get my partner in on the CG version of the shuttle. I'll see if we can get permission to post renders of it. As for Alfreds, I need to look at the picts I have and compare them to his. I know his dims are off, based on his overall dims he has disclosed, compared to the real ones. And I'm not talking just .062 but like .375 to 1" Angles are wrong in many places and since he doesn't have the belly info that stands to reason the width will be to thin. It's a VERY weird shape let me tell you. I tried to sculpt it from foam like they did but.................. I threw that baby against the wall real quick. Looked like it made a full throttle emergency landing :p

Mark

Some of the panel detailing under the cockpit windows on the side is wrong on Alfred's model. That's something that could have been easily addressed without any need to buy expensive kits, but it's apparently shipping that way.

I'm still getting a kit, since it is the best (only) option out there.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back