SMT Galactic Shuttle

Originally posted by Lanboy@Jun 3 2005, 05:44 PM
I'm hearing that SMT will eventually come through for their clients.  This doesn't address my primary problem:

I sent my payment at the end of March.  It's been sitting in Colin's mailbox since April 1st, apparently "at the instruction of the receiver".  I need to contact him.

Someone must have his phone number - please PM me if you do.  Thanks.
[snapback]1003366[/snapback]​

Actually what that indicates is contrary to what Mycroft Holmes was claiming earlier. If they are holding onto your money right out in the open where you can see it, and NOT cashing out ... they obviously aren't strapped for operational cash, are they?

I'd rather know that they are holding my money "in escrow" rather than having spent it before they've sent me my item. That's more than most companies will do for you.
However, you probably need to contact them and be assured they know our money is THERE. Did you get a confirmation email telling you that your order had been recieved? If you didn't, I'd say drop an email. Or like you thought, get a phone number and call cordially.

Otherwise once again, I appreciate all you guys sharing your personal experiences in relation to SMT (truthfully), but the message has been received. There's no point in going all paranoid about something that hasn't happened. Especially if you haven't yourself ordered a kit. If SMT isn't going to come through for ALL of us who ordered kits, then we will certainly be able to discuss and confer as to how we can ALL move to handle the situation together. Until then, lets give them the time they've asked for to deliver.

-Gordon

My concern is that I didn't receive an email indicating that my payment had been received, and my emails to Colin have not, to date, been acknowledged. The fact that the money order is being held on the instructions of the receiver suggests to me that they know it's there, but then again this has never happened to me before and postal terminology may be misleading.

I'm just looking for a way of contacting Colin so I can find out what's up.

What it means is THAT money order which is traceable and punishable by US mail fraud laws is being held. Personal checks, PayPal, credit cards, etc. are where?

If you are so desperate for this shuttle why not build one. ItÂ’s not that hard. Alfred was gifted a lot of the info from Mark Bradley. Though his budget is not what it would take to buy all the real kits needed, believe me, I have all but two that I can account for, and Alfred has said in private conversations his is not 100% accurate.

SMT made its bed long ago. There are more people with the bad stories. Maybe his " workers " stole kits because he wasn't paying them???? Or maybe itÂ’s a story he made up???? SMT is run out of a house shop last I heard. My personal experience with Colin leaves me to believe he's never going to learn a lesson. If this changes I would be more then happy to give praise to him. So you see, I'm not closed minded. I just know when someone has wronged too many people.

Maybe if Alfred and Colin would stop being so arrogant and righteous, many of us would be a little less hostile towards them. They act like they are the only gig in town. Not true. Many of us just put so much time and money into their replicas we don't feel the need to show off or brag. I know of a few guys on this board who could floor SMT with what they know and have built already so chill out, fill your past and present orders, keep things current and don't take money till they are ready to go. That would make me lay off. And several others as well.

Mark

I don't know the guys at SMT. I've never dealt with them before.

But the way that you persue this subject makes me think that maybe you have a personal beef with them that needs to be dealt with.

Like I said, I truly appreciate your concern, but until the delivery is late there is every reason to believe that it will not be.

I am not unschooled in handling deadbeat dealers and pseudo-dealers. If this is a scam, then I'll deal with it as such when it becomes clear that it is.

These guys are hobbyists. Garage kit makers. Not industry.

And seriously, guys, you're being a major buzzkill.

-Gordon

Originally posted by Mycroft Holmes@Jun 4 2005, 12:15 AM
What it means is THAT money order which is traceable and punishable by US mail fraud laws is being held. Personal checks, PayPal, credit cards, etc. are where?

If you are so desperate for this shuttle why not build one. ItÂ’s not that hard. Alfred was gifted a lot of the info from Mark Bradley. Though his budget is not what it would take to buy all the real kits needed, believe me, I have all but two that I can account for, and Alfred has said in private conversations his is not 100% accurate.

SMT made its bed long ago. There are more people with the bad stories. Maybe his " workers " stole kits because he wasn't paying them???? Or maybe itÂ’s a story he made up???? SMT is run out of a house shop last I heard. My personal experience with Colin leaves me to believe he's never going to learn a lesson. If this changes I would be more then happy to give praise to him. So you see, I'm not closed minded. I just know when someone has wronged too many people.

Maybe if Alfred and Colin would stop being so arrogant and righteous, many of us would be a little less hostile towards them. They act like they are the only gig in town. Not true. Many of us just put so much time and money into their replicas we don't feel the need to show off or brag. I know of a few guys on this board who could floor SMT with what they know and have built already so chill out, fill your past and present orders, keep things current and don't take money till they are ready to go. That would make me lay off. And several others as well.

Mark
[snapback]1003678[/snapback]​

I hear this same dialogue on all the forums that bring SMT up on them. It's obviously a problem then. The only thing you can do about it is not buy from them. It sucks, but it's true.

Nope. Not a personal beef. Just tired of people like them screwing people around.

I never said they were scammers. I said they need better business practices and ethics.

Mark

Yep - I echo that statement, and am not buying for the same reasons - too flaky to send money to. Plus - it's not accurate. But that's a personal preference.

Originally posted by moffeaton@Jun 5 2005, 11:04 PM
Yep - I echo that statement, and am not buying for the same reasons - too flaky to send money to. Plus - it's not accurate. But that's a personal preference.
[snapback]1004909[/snapback]​

Well, I guess then that there's no way to argue with that, since it's completely personal opinion.

I've had no troubles getting respnses from Colin. In my last email I asked him to contact our member about the held money. He says he has done so.

He assured me that SMT will be prepared to start shipping kits as early as June 15th.

You guys are certainly all entitled to your opinions... I certainly have enough of my own for Sagan's Sake...but no amount of shouting that the sky is about to fall will help get these kits out on time nor improve what you percieve the quality of their customer service, SMT's personality traits, or accuracy of the kit. And perhaps, just perhaps the reason why Cobywan reads the same sentiments on other forums is because it is far easier to tear someone down than it is to work things out.

Now let me say this: If this turns out poorly, I will be the first to admit that you were right. But until it DOES turn out poorly, there's absolutely no reason to sow seeds to discontent among fellow modelers.

-Gordon

An update:

Colin contacted me about the money order, and indicated that he had not been notified by his post office that any packages were waiting for him. He promised to look into it.

Over the weekend I received a response from Canada Post; I had called and requested that they track my XpressPost package. I was told that despite the fact that the tracking indicated that my package had arrived safely at Colin's post office, that postal depot had no record of it and that I should consider it lost. I will need to cancel my money order and have a new one issued.

So Canada Post screwed up, not Colin, and he never received notice of the arrival of my money order. I'm going to send another one, and hopefully still get in on the first run of 40 shuttles.

I've had lots of communication with both Colin and Alfred. I've never had the impression from either that they were arrogant of anything like that - quite the contrary really. Both of them respond to my emails - usually within hours - and both have always been helpful, polite, and easygoing. All I can say is that my experience with both of these individuals and "companies" has been totally different then yours. I have no problem ordering from them, andf usually receive things in a timely manner.

Making a statement that is pure coinjecture like -maybe his workers stole the kits because they weren't getting paid - is irresponsible. Unless there's proof to that effect the situation is better off not saying anything about it. The scenario I wrote about is what Colin (and others that know him) have stated happened. You don't like SMT- fine don't order from them. You don't like their product - fine don't order from them.

If someone wants to actaully critique the product that would be constructive and I'd like to hear what there is to say about the accuracy... but badmouthing for the sake of badmouthing - you can keep it... Not attacking anyone in particular just expressing my opinion...

Jedi Dade

I have to agree with Jedi Dade. I have been getting kits from SMT for a long time. I always have to wait but I always get what I paid for. Were parts missing sometimes? Yes, but Colin never failed to send the missing parts on.

I had enough faith in Colin to get him to cast a kit of mine and he did a great job. It was slightly late but he came through. I would like to ask a question about waiting for kits. If you got the kit a day after you ordered it how many of you would open it, close it and put in on a shelf or in a closet next to the many other unbuilt kits already there? I realise that is not an excuse for SMT but in reality do you really start building a model the day you get it? For me I have a lot of kits to keep me busy while I wait for delivery from SMT. I know it will come and I know it will be worth it. I would much rather have SMT around than not. Otherwise we would be missing out on some really cool kits. Just my 2 cents....

Cheers

Archie

I too have purchased kits from SMT and have been nothing but satisfied. I have a shuttle and Viper on order. I hope I get them soon and hope no parts will be missing, but once they are in my hands they probably will sit for a while as I work on other projects. Right now, there is no other BSG shuttle offering, so if you want one, order from SMT and wait. Otherwise, make your own but don't complain.

Ken

12". Not very. No idea.

The big problem is that the front end of the ship is too verticle. It kinda has that hydroencephelatic look to it.

I just love to tease though.

Originally posted by cobywan@Jun 8 2005, 03:27 PM
12".  Not very.  No idea.

The big problem is that the front end of the ship is too verticle.  It kinda has that hydroencephelatic look to it.

I just love to tease though.
[snapback]1007297[/snapback]​

Well, the reason why I like the Galactica shuttle in the first place is that it looks somewhat like a puffer fish or pregnant brick.

-G

It was SLAed from files of the NEW show. Not of someone's renderings from the model of the original. So it is accurate to the shuttle of the new series.
George :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back