SMT Galactic Shuttle

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by spcglider@aol.com, Mar 25, 2005.

1. spcglider@aol.com

spcglider@aol.com Sr Member

Hey guys... I'm really excited about this.

Mostly the excitement extends from the fact that I never would have attempted to build this ship from scratch. The project would just be too involved. But like many other projects, I am fully willing to let someone else do the heavy lifting at the outset and do what I truly excell at: finishing.

I've always wanted a replica of the Galactica Shuttle. Its very unassuming, kind of like a flying brick. But it really has some character to it and just appeals to me. And now I can have one... and a BIG one at that. They say it's about 22" long and 10" wide.. That's pretty massive.

Yup...pretty excited here, I can tell you.

If things work out, I should get it in time for my birthday this year... YEEEEHAWWWW...

Hmmm... light the cockpit or NOT light the cockpit.... Don't care about the engines...

-Gordon

2. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

Scale Model Technologies - Galactic Shuttle

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/galacticshuttle1.jpg[/image]

1:48 scale resin model kit. Master pattern shown above:Note not all parts are shown. Approx 22" long when completed x 10" wide. Decals are included. Paint and instruction guide included. A great way to surprise the competition this fall. This is studio scale and Rotational cast hollow. Basic Interior is included.
    This is now on PRE-ORDER and only 40 will be made available intially. This is to ensure we meet our scheduled release date of June 20th to begin shipping. Each kit will have matching serial numbers on the box artwork and the main body as well.
    Pattern maker: Alfred Wong
    Produced by : Scale Model Technologies
    Decals by : JTGraphics
    Regular price $125.00 USD

http://smt.theshoppe.com/galacticshuttle.html

3. spcglider@aol.com

I wasn't sure about the rules regarding advertising here in this forum, so I purposely didn't post that image...

But hey. I'm cool about it.

Interestingly enough, it looks like they really intend the "serious" modelers to build up this kit and take it to shows and competitions.

Sorry, i just want one... I don't do competition.

All I'm hoping for now is that they decide to make a LANDRAM kit as well.

-Gordon

4. spcglider@aol.com

here's a question that maybe i should look into:

Did they ever show any shots of the "far side" of the shuttle? I know that they did a shot or two of it coming at the camera, but it was always just flipped when they wanted to show it going the opposite direction... as evidenced by the reversed lettering.

-Gordon

5. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

The original restored model, right here:
    http://www.edmiarecki.com/Formatting/cu01.html

also here:
    http://www.edmiarecki.com/Formatting/re06.html

I orded mine too, and am plenty fired up. It will require some accurizing, it looks like; the panels on Wong's ship beneath the side windows lack the proper shape and the notched look he accurately captured elsewhere. But attending to these and other problems is a lot easier than scratchbuilding a new hull.

6. spcglider@aol.com

I finally found the article I was referring to earlier (maybe in another thread). its actually text from the Battlestar Galactica Scrap Book.

it seems the original plans for the Galactica shuttle put it at 110 feet long. But they couldn't build that as a life-sized set for the show, so they decided to half the scale and hope nobody noticed. But even that didn't work out so they eventually just picked a random size (or is it a convenient size?) and built it at 33 feet long.

Crazy, man.

-Gordon

7. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

110 feet? WOW,

Would that even fit in the landing bay enterance?
    Thats a big b*tch. But a cool looking one at that.

Sounds like they went to about 1:3rd scale.

8. spcglider@aol.com

Well, there's been all manner of speculation about the size of a Battlestar... particularly the Galactica. Having been involved with the fandom since the early 1980's, I've heard arguments from every assorted angle.

There are tons of conflicting reference on the subject. If I'm not mistaken, they contradict themselves even within the novelization.

I haven't looked back at the information recently, so I'm a little fuzzy on the stats (and even the ones I subscribe to as "fact"), but it seems to me that i recall the length of the beast to have been claimed at 5000 feet long.

Just for fun, when I worked in downtown Minneapolis, I did a little scale figuring and came to the conclusion that our IDS Center Tower could fit 4.5 times over INSIDE one of the landing bay pods of the Galactica with room to spare. Now that's an unconfirmed volume comparison, mind you, so don't accept it as gospel.

But then you have the generally accepted idea that each colony had its own battlestar and that each one (depending on where you get your reference) is either slightly different or vastly different from the others. So that blows any sort of standards for battlestars out the window.
    However, we know that the Battlestar Pegasus, Battlestar Atlantia and the Battlestar Galactica, at least to the exterior, are EXACTLY the same... since the same model was used for filming. But once again, that depends on if you call that "canon" or if you think that the novelization is more "true".

I've had month-long arguments about this... I love being a geek.

But anyway, it would be fun to wrangle up some numbers to see just how big the entrance to the landing bays would be and how horribly off the effects shots were in scale.

-Gordon

9. spcglider@aol.com

"110 feet? WOW,

Would that even fit in the landing bay enterance?
    Thats a big b*tch. But a cool looking one at that."

I dunno... you gotta figure that a shuttle is specifically designed to carry stuff. And in this instance, it was the only revealed "troop carrier" that the Galactica had at its disposal. It would have been responsible for transporting non-fighter-pilot troops to planetary surfaces along with landrams and "land probes" (which were the motorcycles you saw in Gal 1980 but were originally designed for the first season of Galactica). I guess it makes alot of sense to me for it to be that big.

-Gordon

10. ViperRecon

ViperRecon New Member

According to this site: http://ravensbranch.allen.com/galacticasize.html the landing bay opening is about 28ft in height, so the shuttle needs to be comfortably smaller than that to fit into the bay... Proportionally, what does that do to the shuttles measurements?

In any case, I agree that the shuttle would naturally be a large craft with capacity for more than a single landram. As an aside, cargo loading from the bow makes the most sense to me (I hate putting cargo and personnel hatches near the engines - the KBoP ramp drives me nuts.) as well. I think that I would scale the shuttle kit based on known measurements for Thiokol Snowcats (used to make the landram), allowing room for at least 2, and ignore any references to the landing bay entrance...

Mark Snyder
    Seoul, Korea

11. knightdriver2001

Well,

roughly scaling the photos of the model above, if the shuttle is in fact 110 feet
    The shuttle looks as though it is about 36 feet tall. Give or take a few feet.

Definitly to big for the bay openings at 28 ft tall. Scenes with the shuttle taking
    off or landing was always way of scale when shown. Didn't look much bigger
    than some of the viper scenes and the raiders that crashed inot the bays.

The new Battlestar does look to have bigger openings in the bay area, as well
    as bigger bays themselves.

All in all, Alfreds model is super impressive and I for one hope to be able to get
    one soon. (preorder that is).

12. spcglider@aol.com

That's a really impressive site. The logic that is applied can be argued and some of his assumptions are suspect, of course, but he's given the thing ALOT of thought. And that's awfully fun.

But once again, we have to allow for the "fudge factor" of television. And the fact that the shuttle MUST fit into the landing bay was probably only ever discussed when they were forced to do that particular shot. And so somebody said, "Screw it...make it fit."

I was always a little suspect of the Viper shot when it lands in the bay anyway... that's a REALLY TIGHT fit. And obviously the shuttle wouldn't fit at that scale. But they were playing fast and loose with scale all over the place (as evidenced by the images on that very website), so it's still pretty much a matter of speculation all around.

I guess, technically the only real measurement we know is the length of the Viper since it is listed on the blueprints. (Interestingly enough, that's the SAME length as an X-Wing fighter.. check it out.) But even those measurements don't bear out, since the "full scale" viper built for the stage set wasn't built in scale either. I'll have to look for the information, but if I am unmistaken, they reduced the "full scale" Viper to 18 feet long so it would fit in the stage and make it easier to transport to locations. Of course, that would just make the opening even smaller in comparison, but if you assumed that the shuttle actually was 33 feet long, like the set-piece, it STILL wouldn't fit into the newly re-scaled landing bay opening...

And once again, we are reduced to the idea that the "true" measurements are really only an interpretation of existing fact... and those facts sometimes don't agree.

But it's alot of fun to think about and muse on and argue over and research... which is part of why we are all involved with the hobby, right?

-Gordon

13. spcglider@aol.com

Oh yeah...and this kit looks like a blast....

I am SO excited.

-Gordon

14. spcglider@aol.com

Oh, and something else:

In the original novelization, they make the statement that the rag-tag fleet wasn't just 220 ships, but 220 THOUSAND ships. Which, when your'e talking about the survivors of a 12 planet holocaust, kinda makes a little more sense (at least to me anyway).

-Gordon

15. spcglider@aol.com

Okay, yeah, I can really go on about something when I get started..

Just a quick note about shuttle scale versus scale of the Galactica: I watched "The Living Legend" last night on DVD and noticed that they launched THREE shuttles simultaneously from the landing bay.

So, one can make the assumtion that the shuttles are MUCH smaller than 110 feet long (38 feet tall) OR that the Galactica is actually MUCH larger than previously assumed.

How those shots of the Viper fit into the equation I couldn't hazard a guess...

-Gordon

16. roguemodeler

roguemodeler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Absolutely amazing. A 22" studio scale at that price. With that much detail. Beautiful. Thanks, Colin.

17. SinkTube Jedi

SinkTube Jedi Well-Known Member

FYI, as far as dealing with SMT (Colin) they suck at delivery, been waiting around since early Febuary for a * set of Galactica detail panels and all Colin has been telling me since 9 Feb is "will ship next week"

Hell the last email received yesterday

QUOTE 17 April 05

"You shall have that in about a week. We are behind on those but have begun running them this week, so its just to pour and then ship next week.

Sincerely, Colin Omilusik
    Scale Model Technologies"

Here is his reply from 9 Feb 05

"Hey Brian. That will be shipping out in about a week actually.

Sincerely, Colin Omilusik
    Scale Model Technologies "

So as far as ordering through SMT directly, I would wait until someone else has it Like Cultman or Federation Models.

18. spcglider@aol.com

Thanks for the "heads up", but I'm committed.

I will trust to the fates that Colin et al will provide on schedule.

-Gordon

19. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

I ordered mine a few weeks ago. If the actual kit is as clean as the pictures I'll be in heaven.

Hopefully Colin comes through. Now that you mention it, the web page indicated that I would receive an email when my money order had reached him. XpressPost confirms that he has had the money order for some time, but no emai.

20. Tordoc

Tordoc Well-Known Member

I have ordered from SMT and Colin before. I received everything within a reasonable time and got replacement parts quickly. He always returned my emails and I am now waiting for my Viper and Shuttle to be delivered.

Ken

21. spcglider@aol.com

I got an email confirming my order for the shuttle.

Don't panic. Remember, SMT is a cottage industry. They aren't like MR or AMT or lots of other places. They probably deal with all the correspondence themselves so just drop them a line and ask if your order was recieved.

Be cool. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. No need to freak.

-Gordon

22. LastBattlestar

LastBattlestar Well-Known Member

23. spcglider@aol.com

THAT is really freakin' cool.

VERY cool.

-Gordon

24. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

NICE.

25. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

That's AWESOME...

26. SinkTube Jedi

SinkTube Jedi Well-Known Member

all I can say is for those that have ordered, Good Luck. When Soeone constantly tells you for over 90 days it will ship this week, well I just do not have the patients to play his games. As far as I am concerned, good riddens.

27. saintg

saintg Well-Known Member

I have to agree with SinkTube Jedi, I've ordered kits from SMT in the past and the wait time is terrible. I don't care how cool or great a kit they make I will NEVER order from them again.
    As a owner of a resin model company myself, I can truely say I would go out of buisness with the crap they pull. :angry I guess some people just like the abuse.

28. spcglider@aol.com

Well, if YOUR resin company was offering a 2 ft long replica of the Galactica shuttle, perhaps I would have ordered from you?

But really, we all know this hobby can be touch-and-go with fulfillment. It s a risk we take every time we whip out the credit card or the money order.

And I know you're offering up the review of their service because you don't want other folks to get burned, but be careful... taken out of context your comment might read like an angry competitor just trying to slam the other guy. But truly, I appreciate the concern.

-Gordon

29. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

This concern comes up frequently on many, many boards. It is a valid warning. Although I have never heard anyone say they never got thier kit. The worst was that it took some fellow nearly a year and a half to get his kit.

Thier casting is pretty good by the way.

30. saintg

saintg Well-Known Member

Gordon, I am speaking from expierence. I've ordered SMT's kits in the past and it has been nothing but a nightmare. I am not knocking their products just their service.
    I do not offer the same types of kits as SMT so how do you see it as "slamming" the other guy?? :D
    George
    P.S. if you want to see MY kits I'll be at Wonderfest. :D

31. spcglider@aol.com

I'm admitting my ignorance here just to make a point... I don't know what type of kits you offer, so to the uninitiated, a general statement like "As a owner of a resin model company myself, I can truely say I would go out of buisness with the crap they pull" would seem a dubious remark. But that's just an argument about syntax... and I'm not going to purposely try to cheese you off about it since we don't know each other that well.

Our hobbies are reliant on dealing in good faith with alot of people. And once again, I truly do appreciate the fact that you want to help me avoid getting screwed as this is a segment of the builder's hobby that I rarely trade in. I focus mostly on hand-props.

You've had a bad experience with SMT and I don't blame you for bringing that to the attention of others who would be dealing with them. Was it a one-time affair? Or multiple transactions? The reason I ask is because it is fairly common to be "soured" by a "lemon" transaction. If you buy a Chevy truck and that particular truck happens to be a lemon, you are pre-disposed to assume that ALL Chevy trucks are the same.

All the same, I am paying close attention to this. Your warnings have not fallen on deaf ears.

I contacted SMT and asked outright if they were on-schedule with production for release as stated and they said a resounding "YES". To quote: " We DON'T want to be late with this one.
    I've had too much of that this past year."

So it seems that they are paying attention to what's being said about their service and are working to correct it.

-Gordon

32. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

Bloody hell. Anyone have a phone number for Colin at SMT? I sent him payment in March, and it's been sitting in his mailbox since April 1st according to tracking - "Item received by delivery office. Item on hold as per receiver instruction."

Whatever that means. I suspect what it means is that I won't be receiving a shuttle at the end of June.

33. roguemodeler

roguemodeler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been dealing with Colin for the past couple of years. The longest I had to wait was a year for the drop ship. I've ordered the shuttle and don't expect to see it until early 2006. He had posted an apology of sorts in the news section about shipping delays, and states that this year will be much better. You know what? It's not better......just the same. If you order just expect a 6 month to a year wait. I suspect he has a lot of irons in the fire. and I'm a loyal smt supporter. I'm getting tired of it. There's always swpropmaker.....

34. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

"There's always swpropmaker....." I'm having a hard time understanding this... Is this a dig on me? If its not please disreguard. If it is please take the time to explain.

Steve
    swpropmaker

quote=roguemodeler,Jun 3 2005, 04:24 AM]
    I've been dealing with Colin for the past couple of years. The longest I had to wait was a year for the drop ship. I've ordered the shuttle and don't expect to see it until early 2006. He had posted an apology of sorts in the news section about shipping delays, and states that this year will be much better. You know what? It's not better......just the same. If you order just expect a 6 month to a year wait. I suspect he has a lot of irons in the fire. and I'm a loyal smt supporter. I'm getting tired of it. There's always swpropmaker.....
    [snapback]1002935[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

35. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

I take it he means that you are a superior alternative.

36. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Steve, I read it as a compliment.

37. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Steve. I think it was a swipe at you. I think he was referencing your duty time in IRAQ. If so, there is NO comparison. Colin is a civilian who has no knack for schedules and keeping them. Maybe if Colin had the excuse of being 5000 miles away in a war zone some people might understand but the simple fact is, Steve came back and hit the molds right away. Colin would have tons of reasons why he can't get to it right away.
    SMT is a joke. There casting quality has a lot to be desired. There patterns, some of them, look nice but hey, lets be honest. You can have the best pattern in the world and still have crap castings. It's all in the molding and casting techniques. De-air the RTV and pressure casting is just part of it. Stable mold boxes, venting for resin flow, quality resin and temp are also a major factor.
    SMT are hacks but better hacks then most. The fact they require operational cash in the form of up front payments disturbs me. If the patterns were done and the molds were cut I could see taking payments since it would be a short wait for the kits to ship (in the real world that is) but to have payments so far in advance smells of lack of funding and operational cash for the project. This is a buyer beware scenario. They are in Canada. That makes it hard on most to go after them. Just hope they come through and IF they do come through on time, it will only be the first time so don't expect people to roll over apologizing. They need to beat a real long and bad track record...

Now quit comparing apples to oranges when it comes to other kit makers like Steve. He is filling ALL his orders. He is a soldier and answered his countrys call. And he made sure all knew what was going on. To take a swipe at him is taking one at all service men and woman. Colin is a flake. Steve is not.

My two cents.

Mark

38. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I've dealt with SMT a bunch of times. MOST of the time I've had no problem with delivery. The only time I did wait longer then I should have was when SMT was having their labor crisis. They went through a stretch where some of their employees were stealing just about every kit they produced... SMT bit the bullet - took a serious financial and PR hit, and as far as I know made good on every kit they owed. Since then I haven't heard much griping about blown deliveries... There probaly are some - I just said I don't know about them. I pre-ordered a shuttle as well - I fully expect it to be an awesome casting job and delivered in a reasonable time. Like someone above said SMT is a cottage industry and doesn't have an army of workers pumping these out Like MR or other companies. remember it was a pre-order and wasn't expected to be at least June so you can't start counting until now not last march when you sent th epayment in ;)

Jedi Dade

39. knightdriver2001

Well,

After all I have read, I am hoping that SSM will carry this kit in their store.

Probably the only way I would order one otherwise I may never see one but I can
    dream, can't I? :p

40. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

I'm hearing that SMT will eventually come through for their clients. This doesn't address my primary problem:

I sent my payment at the end of March. It's been sitting in Colin's mailbox since April 1st, apparently "at the instruction of the receiver". I need to contact him.

Someone must have his phone number - please PM me if you do. Thanks.

41. spcglider@aol.com

Actually what that indicates is contrary to what Mycroft Holmes was claiming earlier. If they are holding onto your money right out in the open where you can see it, and NOT cashing out ... they obviously aren't strapped for operational cash, are they?

I'd rather know that they are holding my money "in escrow" rather than having spent it before they've sent me my item. That's more than most companies will do for you.
    However, you probably need to contact them and be assured they know our money is THERE. Did you get a confirmation email telling you that your order had been recieved? If you didn't, I'd say drop an email. Or like you thought, get a phone number and call cordially.

Otherwise once again, I appreciate all you guys sharing your personal experiences in relation to SMT (truthfully), but the message has been received. There's no point in going all paranoid about something that hasn't happened. Especially if you haven't yourself ordered a kit. If SMT isn't going to come through for ALL of us who ordered kits, then we will certainly be able to discuss and confer as to how we can ALL move to handle the situation together. Until then, lets give them the time they've asked for to deliver.

-Gordon

42. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

My concern is that I didn't receive an email indicating that my payment had been received, and my emails to Colin have not, to date, been acknowledged. The fact that the money order is being held on the instructions of the receiver suggests to me that they know it's there, but then again this has never happened to me before and postal terminology may be misleading.

I'm just looking for a way of contacting Colin so I can find out what's up.

43. Mycroft Holmes

What it means is THAT money order which is traceable and punishable by US mail fraud laws is being held. Personal checks, PayPal, credit cards, etc. are where?

If you are so desperate for this shuttle why not build one. ItÂ’s not that hard. Alfred was gifted a lot of the info from Mark Bradley. Though his budget is not what it would take to buy all the real kits needed, believe me, I have all but two that I can account for, and Alfred has said in private conversations his is not 100% accurate.

SMT made its bed long ago. There are more people with the bad stories. Maybe his " workers " stole kits because he wasn't paying them???? Or maybe itÂ’s a story he made up???? SMT is run out of a house shop last I heard. My personal experience with Colin leaves me to believe he's never going to learn a lesson. If this changes I would be more then happy to give praise to him. So you see, I'm not closed minded. I just know when someone has wronged too many people.

Maybe if Alfred and Colin would stop being so arrogant and righteous, many of us would be a little less hostile towards them. They act like they are the only gig in town. Not true. Many of us just put so much time and money into their replicas we don't feel the need to show off or brag. I know of a few guys on this board who could floor SMT with what they know and have built already so chill out, fill your past and present orders, keep things current and don't take money till they are ready to go. That would make me lay off. And several others as well.

Mark

44. spcglider@aol.com

I don't know the guys at SMT. I've never dealt with them before.

But the way that you persue this subject makes me think that maybe you have a personal beef with them that needs to be dealt with.

Like I said, I truly appreciate your concern, but until the delivery is late there is every reason to believe that it will not be.

I am not unschooled in handling deadbeat dealers and pseudo-dealers. If this is a scam, then I'll deal with it as such when it becomes clear that it is.

These guys are hobbyists. Garage kit makers. Not industry.

And seriously, guys, you're being a major buzzkill.

-Gordon

45. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

I hear this same dialogue on all the forums that bring SMT up on them. It's obviously a problem then. The only thing you can do about it is not buy from them. It sucks, but it's true.

46. Mycroft Holmes

Nope. Not a personal beef. Just tired of people like them * people around.

I never said they were scammers. I said they need better business practices and ethics.

Mark

47. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep - I echo that statement, and am not buying for the same reasons - too flaky to send money to. Plus - it's not accurate. But that's a personal preference.

48. spcglider@aol.com

Well, I guess then that there's no way to argue with that, since it's completely personal opinion.

I've had no troubles getting respnses from Colin. In my last email I asked him to contact our member about the held money. He says he has done so.

He assured me that SMT will be prepared to start shipping kits as early as June 15th.

You guys are certainly all entitled to your opinions... I certainly have enough of my own for Sagan's Sake...but no amount of shouting that the sky is about to fall will help get these kits out on time nor improve what you percieve the quality of their customer service, SMT's personality traits, or accuracy of the kit. And perhaps, just perhaps the reason why Cobywan reads the same sentiments on other forums is because it is far easier to tear someone down than it is to work things out.

Now let me say this: If this turns out poorly, I will be the first to admit that you were right. But until it DOES turn out poorly, there's absolutely no reason to sow seeds to discontent among fellow modelers.

-Gordon

49. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

An update:

Colin contacted me about the money order, and indicated that he had not been notified by his post office that any packages were waiting for him. He promised to look into it.

Over the weekend I received a response from Canada Post; I had called and requested that they track my XpressPost package. I was told that despite the fact that the tracking indicated that my package had arrived safely at Colin's post office, that postal depot had no record of it and that I should consider it lost. I will need to cancel my money order and have a new one issued.

So Canada Post screwed up, not Colin, and he never received notice of the arrival of my money order. I'm going to send another one, and hopefully still get in on the first run of 40 shuttles.

50. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I've had lots of communication with both Colin and Alfred. I've never had the impression from either that they were arrogant of anything like that - quite the contrary really. Both of them respond to my emails - usually within hours - and both have always been helpful, polite, and easygoing. All I can say is that my experience with both of these individuals and "companies" has been totally different then yours. I have no problem ordering from them, andf usually receive things in a timely manner.

Making a statement that is pure coinjecture like -maybe his workers stole the kits because they weren't getting paid - is irresponsible. Unless there's proof to that effect the situation is better off not saying anything about it. The scenario I wrote about is what Colin (and others that know him) have stated happened. You don't like SMT- fine don't order from them. You don't like their product - fine don't order from them.

If someone wants to actaully critique the product that would be constructive and I'd like to hear what there is to say about the accuracy... but badmouthing for the sake of badmouthing - you can keep it... Not attacking anyone in particular just expressing my opinion...

Jedi Dade