SMT Galactic Shuttle

Originally posted by Jedi Dade@Dec 21 2005, 08:36 PM
I'm guessing that nothing short of having it show up at your doorstep would have been enough...  You're not wrong for thinking that way, I'm just observing that in the light of a glimpse of what is positive news your post was still negative.  I agree that things all the way down the line "should have been better".  The fact is they are not.  It is an encouraging sign that a positive message about product shipping out of SMT and a definite plan to clear the backlog has been made - disseminated - and apparently implemented.  That's all good news for us waiting for SMT products...including the shuttle.  Am I happy that its going to show up almost a year late - No.  But I am encouraged that SMT is getting its Sh.t together and attempting to move forward.

As to when the molds were supposed to be ready etc...  I don't have a photographic memory or anything but I seem to remember that too - but the issues with his family etc started to take place before that, and I'm betting he fell behind a good deal before June... He just didn't update the customers which is unfortunate, but understandable considering he just had his priorities readjusted for him with the emminent death of his Father.  Am I making excuses for him ... Yes I am.  But just so you know where I am coming from - Last Christmas my Father was diagnosed with Leukemia (literally the day after Christmas), and after 5 months of he11 he finally gave in and passed.  I really get the concept of having your priorities readjusted and having other areas of your life suffer from lack of attention because of it.  I give him credit for not throwing in the towel - it would have been easy to do I'm sure.  Instead he is attempting to make it as right as he can by at least coming through on his outstanding orders (still to be proven I know).  I could be wrong but it might be difficult to grasp just how much that stuff changes your life...  I thought I got it until it happened to me and now I know that I really had no clue.

Take heart that shippments are leaving SMT and things look like they are on the way to being back on track.  If after reading this you're still of the opinion that "other people's real life issues are not your problem I want my d@mn model" - you're entitled to your opinion but I think you're missing the bigger picture.

Peace,
Jedi Dade
[snapback]1140923[/snapback]​

Dade,
Look...........I read your post. You have a lot of nerve making assumptions about my feelings and my character. I really don't need to hear about family losses. I know about it all too well. I lost my brother (14 months younger than me) very suddenly 13 days after Christmas. It destroyed my family. My twins were 4 months old. I was in the middle of finishing 2 classes for my master and plus my full time job. Everything fell to me to be taken care of. The funeral, the investigations, etc. My parents were in no shape to deal with it. I made all the arrangements, signed all the checks, dealt with all the detectives and insurance agents. My pain and grief had to be put aside because I was asked to step up. And it got done. All of it. Not a day goes by when I don't sit there and think of my brother. So I know about tragedy. I know how it readjusts your life. I live everyday with the knowledge that my children will never know their uncle. Yes you and Colin had loved ones taken away from you. But at least you had time to prepare yourself. All I got was a phone call saying he was gone. No warning. No nothing. Just he was gone. I don't need to be preached to about loss. So save it for someone else. Colin lost his dad, for which I cannot imagine the pain he went through. That was never the issue here.

My complaint is Colin took my money for a product that was going to be shipping in June. And months later NONE of my emails had been replied too. One simple email, posting anything is all it would have taken. Some say he was too upset to do so. But he is running a business. He has a responsibility to his customers. I had to pester SMT for any information. I had to send 5 or 6 emails to get a respone that said I would get an update this weekend. Then send several more emails a week or so later to get another update. Communication would have saved the day here. Even now I have to send 2 or 3 emails to get one response.

Do I want my model? Hell yes.
Am I willing to wait for my model. Hell yes.
Do I think I am entitled to simple communications? Hell yes.
Do I need someone analyzing my frustrations and making assumptions about my character? Hell no.

I don't understand where people get off doing the last question there. I guess I never will.

Communication is the key here. That's all I ever asked for. (well that and my model eventually).

Steve

Originally posted by JP05+Dec 22 2005, 04:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JP05 @ Dec 22 2005, 04:13 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jedi Dade
@Dec 21 2005, 08:36 PM
I'm guessing that nothing short of having it show up at your doorstep would have been enough...  You're not wrong for thinking that way, I'm just observing that in the light of a glimpse of what is positive news your post was still negative.  I agree that things all the way down the line "should have been better".  The fact is they are not.  It is an encouraging sign that a positive message about product shipping out of SMT and a definite plan to clear the backlog has been made - disseminated - and apparently implemented.  That's all good news for us waiting for SMT products...including the shuttle.  Am I happy that its going to show up almost a year late - No.  But I am encouraged that SMT is getting its Sh.t together and attempting to move forward.

As to when the molds were supposed to be ready etc...  I don't have a photographic memory or anything but I seem to remember that too - but the issues with his family etc started to take place before that, and I'm betting he fell behind a good deal before June... He just didn't update the customers which is unfortunate, but understandable considering he just had his priorities readjusted for him with the emminent death of his Father.  Am I making excuses for him ... Yes I am.  But just so you know where I am coming from - Last Christmas my Father was diagnosed with Leukemia (literally the day after Christmas), and after 5 months of he11 he finally gave in and passed.  I really get the concept of having your priorities readjusted and having other areas of your life suffer from lack of attention because of it.  I give him credit for not throwing in the towel - it would have been easy to do I'm sure.  Instead he is attempting to make it as right as he can by at least coming through on his outstanding orders (still to be proven I know).  I could be wrong but it might be difficult to grasp just how much that stuff changes your life...  I thought I got it until it happened to me and now I know that I really had no clue.

Take heart that shippments are leaving SMT and things look like they are on the way to being back on track.  If after reading this you're still of the opinion that "other people's real life issues are not your problem I want my d@mn model" - you're entitled to your opinion but I think you're missing the bigger picture.

Peace,
Jedi Dade
[snapback]1140923[/snapback]​

Dade,
Look...........I read your post. You have a lot of nerve making assumptions about my feelings and my character. I really don't need to hear about family losses. I know about it all too well. I lost my brother (14 months younger than me) very suddenly 13 days after Christmas. It destroyed my family. My twins were 4 months old. I was in the middle of finishing 2 classes for my master and plus my full time job. Everything fell to me to be taken care of. The funeral, the investigations, etc. My parents were in no shape to deal with it. I made all the arrangements, signed all the checks, dealt with all the detectives and insurance agents. My pain and grief had to be put aside because I was asked to step up. And it got done. All of it. Not a day goes by when I don't sit there and think of my brother. So I know about tragedy. I know how it readjusts your life. I live everyday with the knowledge that my children will never know their uncle. Yes you and Colin had loved ones taken away from you. But at least you had time to prepare yourself. All I got was a phone call saying he was gone. No warning. No nothing. Just he was gone. I don't need to be preached to about loss. So save it for someone else. Colin lost his dad, for which I cannot imagine the pain he went through. That was never the issue here.

My complaint is Colin took my money for a product that was going to be shipping in June. And months later NONE of my emails had been replied too. One simple email, posting anything is all it would have taken. Some say he was too upset to do so. But he is running a business. He has a responsibility to his customers. I had to pester SMT for any information. I had to send 5 or 6 emails to get a respone that said I would get an update this weekend. Then send several more emails a week or so later to get another update. Communication would have saved the day here. Even now I have to send 2 or 3 emails to get one response.

Do I want my model? Hell yes.
Am I willing to wait for my model. Hell yes.
Do I think I am entitled to simple communications? Hell yes.
Do I need someone analyzing my frustrations and making assumptions about my character? Hell no.

I don't understand where people get off doing the last question there. I guess I never will.

Communication is the key here. That's all I ever asked for. (well that and my model eventually).

Steve
[snapback]1141231[/snapback]​
[/b]

I never made any assumptions about your character or your feelings. I was very careful not to. If I have offended you I apologize as that was not my intent. My intent was simply to point out that making a negative post when a slightly positive news comes out of SMT does no good. The next part of my post was to portray MY feelings and motivations - not to bast you. If it came off that way again I apologize. The final line of my post is a pure opinion - not an attack on your character or an analysis of your feelings. It is what I think is the reasonable attitude in this situation - None of my post is a personal attack at least was not intended to be so.

I agree with you and think you are correct in all of the things that "should have been done". Communication should have been - hell should be bettter from SMT. You're entitled to expect those things from a vendor of any product.

On the topic of loss - I'm not sure having several months to watch impotently as a loved one suffers/deteriorates and fights for life only to die anyway prepares you any more then having the death come suddenly. It pretty much sucks any way you cut it. And as you've seen, people deal with it very differently - you were able to focus on the necessities and get things done - your parents not - The same was true for me - I got "almost" everything done but some things slacked, but my Mother was "off the deep end" and not able to handle basic things. Apparently Colin was one of those people that it took a while for him to be able to function in a reasonably normal fashion - and I am willing to cut him large amounts of slack.

Finally I have no desire to offend you - fight with you - or cause you a moment of angst. If possible I'd like to call you - and everyone else here a friend, as we obviously share some common interests and expereinces. Again if I have offended you with anything I have written here I apologize - I had/have no intention of doing so.

Jedi Dade

Hey fellas,

Once again we see how easy it is to mis-understand on the internet. In all directions.

I agree, there should have been MUCH more organized communication coming from SMT, but then again, I wasn't there. So I can't assume anything about Colin's ability or inability to function on a social or business level.

Put shortly, I lost my father to parkinson's disease this past summer. I got to watch Dad slowly evaporate before my eyes. It was tough, but I have a personal view of the universe that was comforting and allowed me to deal with it. That same attitude has also helped me with the loss of a good friend and mentor in the past few months.

But I am not Colin.

Okay, enough sharing and enough preachiness from Gordon. We all have tales of loss and we all deal with it in different ways.

So, in an effort to turn this thread around, I say,

"HOLY COW.. I'm gonna get a SHUTTLE... WOOOOOO HOOOOO.... Its only THE kit that I've been waiting for someone to make since 1979... YEEEEHAAAAW...."

It is, indeed and excellent holiday gift to know that the kit that I have wanted for a LONG time is finally on it's way. The glass of holly-nog is half FULL today.

-Gordon

Just a note to say that it looks like the shuttle kit is history. Got my preorder payment refunded today by Colin.

Bummer.................

>>Dear Customer: We regret to inform you at this time SMT will not be going forward with the Galactic shuttle kit. Therefore we have processed a FULL refund for you, including shipping charges.
I am sorry for the inconvience this has caused you.

Sincerely, Colin Omilusik
Scale Model Technologies<<

Originally posted by Tordoc@Jan 13 2006, 02:50 AM
:cry 

He hasn't contacted me yet.
[snapback]1157575[/snapback]​

I just got my refund too. Hey, Tordoc, better drop him an email and make sure you're on the list for refunds.

-Gordon

P.S. This is VERY depressing news.

I send him lots of emails. Every time I get an apology and and a reassurance that his list will be updated. He's always come thru for me in the end. I still have some pieces missing from my Patrol Craft too. I hope they come.

I emailed Colin last night about a major missing part I need and he stated that with the BSG shuttle being canceled. He will get all of the parts issue cleaned up by Jan 31st.

Wow. :eek This is seriously disappointing - OK I'v edefended Colin and I'm here to take my punishment - I'm ducking - you can start throwing the stones :thumbsdown At least he is processings the refunds...

Jedi Dade

JD, no punishment needed :) You tried to bring an objective view. Too bad Colin didn't make it happen. I would of liked him to keep on track and make a good offering but.......................he has too many problems to cope with.

I hope he does make good on ALL the refunds.

Don;t worry all, I'm sure someone will do a kit of the TOS BSG shuttle. Maybe Jesse B) )

Mark

The pattern is going back to Alfred. I'm sure there will be a lineup of people who would like to cast the kit for him. If Jessie got it I could imagine him giving it a once over to sharpen up and problems and then go to town with it.

Originally posted by cobywan@Jan 13 2006, 05:11 PM
The pattern is going back to Alfred.  I'm sure there will be a lineup of people who would like to cast the kit for him.  If Jessie got it I could imagine him giving it a once over to sharpen up and problems and then go to town with it.
[snapback]1158292[/snapback]​

I'm for that....

NO offense intended with what I'm about to say, but Alfred does a "close enough for the casual fan" job on every master he makes, and has admitted as much. There's plenty of people that'd be satisfied with that, but I want what I saw on the screen. The Wong shuttle master is NOT a studio scale shuttle - and it's only "kind of" accurate.

There are so many things you'd have to tweak that it'd be easier to start from scratch. My plate is WAY full right now with things I'm currently making and have promised to make and help out on, but there have been talks... and I think masters could be made for a kit, relatively realistically priced and accurately built, within a calendar year. Kit could roll out in early to mid 2007.

I'm willing to wait, help the knowledgable studio scale guys join forces and see a BIGA55 Galactica Shuttle from accurate molds. I've talked to a few of you already about this, and am thinking that once we're done our current builds and masters, we can do this justice. I've got a bunch of donor kits for this thing already...

Your points about Alfred's patterning are not lost on me. I have pointed out many things to him over the years about stuff he is doing. Only for the efforts to be ignored. (I am speaking of the Hammerhead fighter in particular. The intakes are wrong.)

The saying in many businesses that seems appropriate is, "Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two."

Heh, I hear ya. I like to try to shoot for "excellent" and "you get what you pay for"

:D

Nothing is fast OR cheap, in this hobby.... lol

Wait, I take that back - I've learned that talk is CHEAP and I spend my money FAST.

:lol

Oh this is just perfect. Now I have to find why I did not get an email. This is priceless. Wonder what the excuse is this time. I just want my damn money back. I don't know why but I saw this coming. I wonder who actually got a shuttle...I seem to recall reading somewhere that a few were shipped.

Steve

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back