SMT Galactic Shuttle

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by spcglider@aol.com, Jun 30, 2005.

1. spcglider@aol.com

spcglider@aol.com Sr Member

Well guys,

Considering all the chatter we had about the relative quality of SMT and their ability to fill orders on-time, it is now late June and the deadline for starting to ship the Galactic Shuttle kits is here.

Here's hoping that the dis-appointment fairy doesn't make an appearance.

-Gordon

2. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

Wasn't it supposed to ship 10 days ago? That's what I have marked on my calendar.

3. spcglider@aol.com

Their website declares "scheduled release date of June 20th to BEGIN shipping" (emphasis mine).

I'm still willing to extend some slack to them for the time being.

In the mean time, I did a little photoshop goofing around and came up with a comparison side-view of the SMT shuttle and the original filming miniature. This is meant as a purely academic exercise... I am attacking no one nor questioning the quality of anyones' work or product.

The SMT pic is from their site. The filming miniature is from the Ed Mariecki restoration site. To whoever took these photos originally, I extend all credit due. Please don't get cheesed at me for using them.

The first pic is the SMT prototype. The second is the stripped down filming miniature. The exact angles of the photos do not match, so extremely subtle differences in lengths, heights, and surface contours might be moot.

Anyway, it appears the only truly grievous oddity is that square detail at the back, along the lateral mid-line. It looks like the SMT version has it misplaced.

-Gordon

4. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

interesting... It seems that some of the surface detail is a bit different too. Something similar in about the correct spot but it does look a bit different... I just noticed the real shuttle pic is reversed left to right. That might account for some of the detail discrepancies... Like you though I'm not going to "review" it until I have it in my hands for direct comaprison.

Jedi Dade

5. spcglider@aol.com

Yup... the image is flipped. Could have flipped the SMT image I guess...

Anyway, you are correct, this is pure academics right now. I just felt like chatting about the subject.

I've been working 17 hour days for the past week and need some sharp relief..

:)

-Gordon

6. Tordoc

Tordoc Well-Known Member

I my mind, all shuttles are like Star Wars y-wings. All are a bit different. It sure looks close enough for me and a bit of customization for each one is half the fun.

Has anyone gotten one yet?

Ken

7. spcglider@aol.com

I was wondering that too.

Anybody who ordered got one yet?

-Gordon

8. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Does anyone know when they will be available again???

Lynn

9. spcglider@aol.com

This just in:

I got a reply from Colin via email and this is what it said.

"Hey Gordon. Just finalizing the shipping list of names here and I'll have your shipping date of order this week for you.

Sincerely, Colin Omilusik
    Scale Model Technologies"

So there you have it. Evidently they aren't on schedule but are working diligently to get them out.

-G

10. Tordoc

Tordoc Well-Known Member

Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer. Colin's dad is ill. See the thread at starshipmodeler.

Ken

11. roguemodeler

roguemodeler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As with all the best intentions at SMT I suspect that September may see the first shipping. Delays have been the hallmark of SMT since inception. No problem if you know what to expect. SMT is still a garage kit company afterall...and if they weren't here we wouldn't have had access to all the great kits that have come before.

12. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

MOst of the items I'v eordered from Colin I didn't have to wait for. Only one now that I think of it - now it will be 2, and at least there is a legitimate reason for a delay... I lost my Father this last May - I totally understand the desire to not want to pour resin :(

Best wishes. I'll be looking for my hunk O' plastic when you get around to it bud...

Jedi Dade

13. spcglider@aol.com

I, too, lost my dad earlier this year. I can empathize.

But being ill is a far cry from actually gone. Here's hoping his dad's doing okay.

-G

14. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

15. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I ordered one of these some time ago as well- anyone hear anything new??

16. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

Over at Starship Modeler it was posted that Colin's dad passed away yesterday. Also, friends of Colin have stepped in to keep SMT running during his absence.

17. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Anyone hear anything about this model? August is upon us.

18. roguemodeler

roguemodeler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I suspect that the first kits will be shipping by the end of the month. I have no reason for this. Colin should be stepping back into the saddle shortly. I have a great many kits unaccounted for. I'm not worrying....Colin always comes thru. Must be patient. I keep telling my self that.

19. saintg

saintg Well-Known Member

"Colin always comes thru" LOL :lol :lol Don't make me laugh. Talk to all the people he has F%^$ed in the past.
    George

20. spcglider@aol.com

1) That's just a little harsh, don't you think? I mean, the guy's dad just died. Show a little heart, dude.

2) Are YOU one of the people you're referring to? If not, then what you've posted is nothing but hear-say and really just shows you're vindictive for no reason at all.

3) Name some names. Who has Colin failed to settle with? I'd like to know. You make it sound like hundreds. I'd like to hear it from them personally. First hand.

-Gordon

21. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

I think taking a year to get a kit out is a bit much. Don't you?

But some slack should be cut to him given the current situation.

22. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

I agree...........and slack should be given. But those who pre-ordered were told it would ship in June.

23. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Exactly.

Although it's none of my business. Because I don't buy from them anymore. But I should just shut-up though.

But it's hard for a jabber jaw like me.

24. Wolvster1

Wolvster1 Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Ahh, don't sweat it Coby, talk all
    you want..... ;)

While I have NO axe to grind with Colin
    myself { I want THAT clear,OK.. } :p
    I have heard from more people then I
    care to count..

As a fellow modeler and general all around
    guy, he's one HELLUVA' nice guy . :thumbsup

As a BUSINESSMAN, he leaves much to be
    desired... :thumbsdown

Again, NOT attacking or picking on the man..
    Just passing along what info I know from being on
    Sci-Fi Modeling Boards for YEARS on end... B)

25. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

Colin's always come through for me and while the wait can be trying it just build's the anticipation. My last shipment was lost in the mail and finally ended up at the wrong address. Luckily it was one of Colin's other customer who notified him of the screw up. At no expense to me, Colin had that package overnited ($50..).

If you check the SMT website, buying direct from SMT will soon be a thing of the past.

26. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Well if future orders are like this.........buying anythign from them will be a thing of the past for me.

I bought 4 kits in teh past 5 months from this board.......all BSG related. I got emails if there was a delay, apologies about the delays, emails when they shipped, tracking numbers where they applied and emails asking if it was all ok. Can't argue with that. Now why can't they do the same?

As stated above, not bashing anyone personally, just questioning business practices.

27. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

:lol SMT models are inaccurate, implied crap (resin erroneous turds if you will)... always have been, always will be.

28. seknewb

seknewb Active Member

Ouch..

29. spcglider@aol.com

Darkside, quit holding back... tell us what you REALLY think. :lol

Well, its now August 8th and still no word about the kit. One would have assumed that the parts would have been cast by the late of June as that's when the shipping was supposed to occur. So the parts should, at absolute worst, be sitting in bins waiting to be packed and shipped? That's monkey work. Anybody can do that.

There really isn't any reason for a further delay if Colin has friends who will help out.

Unless of course, the parts aren't done for some reason. But that's sheer speculation on my part.

-Gordon

30. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Would be nice to get ANY type of response. When is it shipping? Whats the delay?
    Yeah but who is helping out? And are they aware that this was SUPPOSED TO SHIP IN JUNE ..............................

31. spcglider@aol.com

It is currently August 12th. The original shipping schedule was "late June"... approximately June 20. So its not exactly two months yet that it is late.

Patience is a virtue.

I sincerely hope with all hope that everything is well with Colin and his family, but I'll be extremely disappointed if this all turns out to be flim-flammery because the parts aren't coming out of the mold properly or he's having troubles with his molds or something.

I don't know Colin, nor have I dealt with him before, and I am not intending to impugn his current situation, but I've known this sort of thing to happen in the past.

I was possibly the most vociferous in support and defense of Colin on this board (and others). I hope that he isn't going to let me down.

-Gordon

32. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

I understand taking time off to work through grief, but I would point to Alfred Wong as a model for Colin. Alfred has suffered the same loss, but has not allowed it to have such a severe negative impact to his business dealings. I suspect the delay we're experiencing with the shuttle would have ocurred whether Colin experienced a personal tragedy or not.

33. spcglider@aol.com

Most unfortunate.

-Gordon

34. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Gordon,
    Thanks, but I dont need to be reminded that paitence in a virtue. I am sitting here waiting patiently to get my shuttle. I am just frustrated at the lack of communication and the unanswered emails. I lost my brother 2 years ago. I am very familiar with losing a family member, and I wish it on no one. So I sympathize with Colin and his family. I would just like to know where my order stands.

Steve

35. Wolvster1

Well, in case you didn't know theres
    an update from Colin on this....

QUOTE,

" PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

Update for August/September 2005.

Just a quick update on the changes here at SMT.
    I want to thank all of you for your recent support. This has been a very difficult time for us, but your understanding and patience has made it easier.

There are some major changes for 2005.

I have truly enjoyed this past 5yrs of service to you folks and look forward to bringing you some exciting new kits.
    That said, we are slowly phasing out the majority of our current line of kits. I am suffering somewhat from burnout and need to slow down. SMT has poured over 20,000 parts in the last year. To this end I'm phasing out most of our kits as many of you have noticed. All current orders for kits OTHER THAN the dropship, hyperspace and BSG shuttle are completed and shipping before the end of August. The hypers will be finished just around the middle of Sept and the Dropships should finish up about a week later. What this means is the Shuttles will be a bit more in shipping time yet (other than the handful already sent). The shuttle monies have been used for resources for the kits (Al's payments and so forth) and we cannot currently process any more refunds for the shuttle kit. However we are processing the kit orders as quickly as we can and all affected WILL get their kits. If however you wish not to wait, email us. We are offering any other SMT kit, of under a $200.00 USD value, as a replacement to the Shuttle, even some that have been discontinued. I am sorry, as I realize this is frustrating. I am doing it this way so that I am able to accomodate everyone.

I have also cancelled the reseller program with Federation Models effective immediately. "

Posted at STARSHIP MODELER....

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/php...pic.php?t=29471

Sounds like to me he's pretty much
    done and over with the Garage kit business.... :confused

36. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

Isn't this the second time around that they're done with the hobby? IIRC several years ago they disapeared and repopped in again in 2001.

37. Wolvster1

Hmmmm, not sure about that ?
    I don't remember THAT far back.. :D

I'm jsut curious if all that pre-ordered
    the Shuttle will get one ? Anyone HERE
    got thiers yet ? He did mention that
    a number of them shipped . :thumbsup

38. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

So we are looking at October now for shuttles? Add a week or two for safety net.

39. Pauleysolo

I pre-ordered and have not received a thing and am officially nervous..

40. star-art

star-art Sr Member

I'm still waiting. I e-mailed him last week and got a reply back that last weekend they were going to be figuring out exactly what they were going to do and how it was all going to work out.

41. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

All my email said was that they will have an update soon and at the moment have suspended shuttle kits as they tie up loose ends on all the other kits.

This email was sent on 9/11/2005

Just want my shuttle is all.

42. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

Sorry to say this but several of us tried to warn you guys. SMT has a real bad habbit of this kind of service. I hope you get your money back at the very least.
    I have laid off saying anythign trying to give Colin the bennifit of the doubt but this is wide reaching and again this has happened more then once.

Mark

43. HOBBIT 7

HOBBIT 7 New Member

You may be right, Mark. Been emailing SMT for the past few weeks to find out if I am going to get a shuttle or a refund. No reply yet.

Troll 7

44. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

I am truely sorry to here this. It bugs me to no end. I hope you guys get your money back at the very least.

Mark

45. spcglider@aol.com

It appears that is highly unlikely. My reaction won't be very pretty if I've been punked.

-Gordon

46. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I have an email from colin from last week I think where he told me that he was finishing up the outstanding orders on just about everything else before he gets to the shuttles. But he is doing the shuttles. When I get to my other computer I'll try to dig it up and place teh exact quote here.

Jedi Dade

47. spcglider@aol.com

Thank you, Jedi Dade. I'll be looking for that.

Sometimes it's really tough to maintain a positive attitude when you're assailed by nothing but bad news.

Thanks again.

-Gordon

48. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Anyone heard anything?

49. Pauleysolo

I hate it when people take your money and then go dark like this.... 9 times out of 10 that is a really bad sign. I have paid as well and have nothing.

50. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I got my 'Betty' last week and e-mailed a thanks to Colin and inquired about the shuttle I ordered.
    Apparently he has many many other misc. kit orders that have to be rectified before focusing 100% on the shuttle.
    A little more patience. I've also had to do the 'long wait' for kits just like everyone else and Colin does come thru.