SMT Galactic Shuttle

Well guys,

Considering all the chatter we had about the relative quality of SMT and their ability to fill orders on-time, it is now late June and the deadline for starting to ship the Galactic Shuttle kits is here.

Here's hoping that the dis-appointment fairy doesn't make an appearance.

-Gordon

Originally posted by Lanboy@Jun 30 2005, 08:32 PM
Wasn't it supposed to ship 10 days ago?  That's what I have marked on my calendar.
[snapback]1024346[/snapback]​

Their website declares "scheduled release date of June 20th to BEGIN shipping" (emphasis mine).

I'm still willing to extend some slack to them for the time being.

In the mean time, I did a little photoshop goofing around and came up with a comparison side-view of the SMT shuttle and the original filming miniature. This is meant as a purely academic exercise... I am attacking no one nor questioning the quality of anyones' work or product.

The SMT pic is from their site. The filming miniature is from the Ed Mariecki restoration site. To whoever took these photos originally, I extend all credit due. Please don't get cheesed at me for using them.

The first pic is the SMT prototype. The second is the stripped down filming miniature. The exact angles of the photos do not match, so extremely subtle differences in lengths, heights, and surface contours might be moot.

Anyway, it appears the only truly grievous oddity is that square detail at the back, along the lateral mid-line. It looks like the SMT version has it misplaced.

-Gordon

interesting... It seems that some of the surface detail is a bit different too. Something similar in about the correct spot but it does look a bit different... I just noticed the real shuttle pic is reversed left to right. That might account for some of the detail discrepancies... Like you though I'm not going to "review" it until I have it in my hands for direct comaprison.

Jedi Dade

Originally posted by Jedi Dade@Jul 1 2005, 01:47 PM
interesting...  It seems that some of the surface detail is a bit different too.  Something similar in about the correct spot but it does look a bit different... I just noticed the real shuttle pic is reversed left to right.  That might account for some of the detail discrepancies...  Like you though I'm not going to "review" it until I have it in my hands for direct comaprison.

Jedi Dade
[snapback]1024826[/snapback]​

Yup... the image is flipped. Could have flipped the SMT image I guess...

Anyway, you are correct, this is pure academics right now. I just felt like chatting about the subject.

I've been working 17 hour days for the past week and need some sharp relief..

:)

-Gordon

I my mind, all shuttles are like Star Wars y-wings. All are a bit different. It sure looks close enough for me and a bit of customization for each one is half the fun.

Has anyone gotten one yet?

Ken

Originally posted by Tordoc@Jul 1 2005, 03:08 PM
I my mind, all shuttles are like Star Wars y-wings. All are a bit different. It sure looks close enough for me and a bit of customization for each one is half the fun.

Ken
[snapback]1024873[/snapback]​

I was wondering that too.

Anybody who ordered got one yet?

-Gordon

This just in:

I got a reply from Colin via email and this is what it said.

"Hey Gordon. Just finalizing the shipping list of names here and I'll have your shipping date of order this week for you.

Sincerely, Colin Omilusik
Scale Model Technologies"

So there you have it. Evidently they aren't on schedule but are working diligently to get them out.

-G

Originally posted by spcglider@aol.com+Jul 1 2005, 03:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spcglider@aol.com @ Jul 1 2005, 03:10 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tordoc
@Jul 1 2005, 03:08 PM

Ken
[snapback]1024873[/snapback]​

I was wondering that too.

Anybody who ordered got one yet?

-Gordon
[snapback]1024875[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by spcglider@aol.com@Jul 5 2005, 05:05 PM

So there you have it. Evidently they aren't on schedule but are working diligently to get them out.
[snapback]1027018[/snapback]​

Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer. Colin's dad is ill. See the thread at starshipmodeler.

Ken

As with all the best intentions at SMT I suspect that September may see the first shipping. Delays have been the hallmark of SMT since inception. No problem if you know what to expect. SMT is still a garage kit company afterall...and if they weren't here we wouldn't have had access to all the great kits that have come before.
Originally posted by Tordoc+Jul 5 2005, 02:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tordoc @ Jul 5 2005, 02:41 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-spcglider@aol.com
@Jul 5 2005, 05:05 PM

[snapback]1027018[/snapback]​

Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer. Colin's dad is ill. See the thread at starshipmodeler.

Ken
[snapback]1027116[/snapback]​
[/b]

MOst of the items I'v eordered from Colin I didn't have to wait for. Only one now that I think of it - now it will be 2, and at least there is a legitimate reason for a delay... I lost my Father this last May - I totally understand the desire to not want to pour resin :(

Best wishes. I'll be looking for my hunk O' plastic when you get around to it bud...

Jedi Dade

Originally posted by Jedi Dade@Jul 6 2005, 02:09 AM
MOst of the items I'v eordered from Colin I didn't have to wait for.  Only one now that I think of it - now it will be 2, and at least there is a legitimate reason for a delay...  I lost my Father this last May - I totally understand the desire to not want to pour resin  :(

Best wishes.  I'll be looking for my hunk O' plastic when you get around to it bud...

Jedi Dade
[snapback]1027379[/snapback]​

I, too, lost my dad earlier this year. I can empathize.

But being ill is a far cry from actually gone. Here's hoping his dad's doing okay.

-G

Over at Starship Modeler it was posted that Colin's dad passed away yesterday. Also, friends of Colin have stepped in to keep SMT running during his absence.

Originally posted by JP05@Jul 31 2005, 07:50 PM
Anyone hear anything about this model?  August is upon us.
[snapback]1046659[/snapback]​
I suspect that the first kits will be shipping by the end of the month. I have no reason for this. Colin should be stepping back into the saddle shortly. I have a great many kits unaccounted for. I'm not worrying....Colin always comes thru. Must be patient. I keep telling my self that.

"Colin always comes thru" LOL :lol :lol Don't make me laugh. Talk to all the people he has F%^$ed in the past.
George

Originally posted by saintg@Aug 2 2005, 04:36 AM
"Colin always comes thru"  LOL :lol  :lol  Don't make me laugh.  Talk to all the people he has F%^$ed in the past.
George
[snapback]1047527[/snapback]​

1) That's just a little harsh, don't you think? I mean, the guy's dad just died. Show a little heart, dude.

2) Are YOU one of the people you're referring to? If not, then what you've posted is nothing but hear-say and really just shows you're vindictive for no reason at all.

3) Name some names. Who has Colin failed to settle with? I'd like to know. You make it sound like hundreds. I'd like to hear it from them personally. First hand.

-Gordon

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back