Small Soldiers Brick Bazooka replica for my son

Good work so far keep it up I'm still in the process of making my chip hazard and archer figures have you checked out my posts? I brought the Japanese book aswel I think I might of brought the one before you cause after I brought it the seller put another one up and that sold straight away so I'm guessing that was you lol I'm still waiting for it atm so hopefully it was worth the money.I will be making all the characters to just need to finish my other two first anyway keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing future posts.

Good work so far keep it up I'm still in the process of making my chip hazard and archer figures have you checked out my posts? I brought the Japanese book aswel I think I might of brought the one before you cause after I brought it the seller put another one up and that sold straight away so I'm guessing that was you lol I'm still waiting for it atm so hopefully it was worth the money.I will be making all the characters to just need to finish my other two first anyway keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing future posts.
Saw your posts, yes! Very inspiring, I'm a bit jealous of your castings of Chip and Archer :) That was most probably me with the book, yes! Was very excited when I saw it, didn't even argue regarding the price :) Have you already found a solution for the shoulder rotation system, i.e. how the shoulders are kept in the sockets?
You can guess it a bit in the youtube videos where they make Chip walk for the first time... the shoulders seem to be hollow and open at their side facing the sockets...

Thank you and I was very lucky to get hold of them casts they really do look spot on to the film props.lol yeah i was the same when i seen that book never seen it before or heard about it I just cant wait to get it now.I haven't attempted the shoulder joints yet but I have a couple of ideas for them.

Thank you and I was very lucky to get hold of them casts they really do look spot on to the film props.lol yeah i was the same when i seen that book never seen it before or heard about it I just cant wait to get it now.I haven't attempted the shoulder joints yet but I have a couple of ideas for them.

May I kindly ask you about the height and width of your Chip casting's head? Knowing its size, I could recalculate the height and width of the other Commando's heads and see, whether I was accurate or not with my heads until now. The same goes for their limbs etc. I would highly appreciate your assistance with this! Should you need a copy of Chip's rifle, I could make one of my vinyl kit, its a little bit different from the screen one, but very, very close. You could make a second casting in "chavant clay hard" or wax and resculpt it then to screen accuracy... Best of luck with your progress anyway!

Had a thought - have you seen (or do you have) the rifle that came with the Hasbro 12" Chip? Not the hand gun, but the other one. Looks exactly like the screen used gun from one of the other commandos that was in one of the online auctions.

Had a thought - have you seen (or do you have) the rifle that came with the Hasbro 12" Chip? Not the hand gun, but the other one. Looks exactly like the screen used gun from one of the other commandos that was in one of the online auctions.

Yes, I think so... that would be Kip's which Chip breaks, right? But I have the 6 inch version... I think I have all four of the six inch versions, missing 3 guns, both of Butch and the handgun of Chip. Most of the guns are more or less screen accurate, but they will have to be enlarged and made more accurate. Fun thing is that judging from the guns I have, they used a lot of parts from kits and even daily common stuff like little tube caps and so on...

Great work! Brick is shaping up quite nicely as are the rest of the Commandos.

What I am desperately looking to find are high resolution pictures of the battle diorama that was on Stan Winston's desk. They would provide a tremendous insight, especially regarding the structure of the pants, jackets and shirts of the soldiers (i.e. the wrinkles and bumps
Here's a pretty big one:
All sizes | Profiles in History Visit - Small Soldiers | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and for fun here's the Gorgonites:
All sizes | Profiles in History Visit - Small Soldiers creatures | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yes, I think so... that would be Kip's which Chip breaks, right?
I just watched that scene again and he actually breaks the rifle. But yeah Kip can be seen holding this gun in that scene. I can't wait till the Blueray comes out in March.

Howlrunner's right, it's really close and would only require a few minor modifications.

GunComparison.jpg

Hey just so you know my Japanese book just arrived like 10 mins ago and trust me when I say you will not be disappointed i was correct the book is made by (SOFTGARAGE) :-D and it's packed full of brilliant photos of all the characters and yes it has a page for the softgarage statues but in 1:1 scale only pics of archer and chips statues.the book comes in a box and the cd comes in its own box if anyone has the chance to buy this book do it it's the best small soldiers book out there and I thought the pictures in the Stan winston book was amazing and as good as it is this softgarage book tops it I will put some pictures on my chip hazard page so check it out :).

Thank you so much, didn't see any pictures of the diorama this big yet!!!

The guns are pretty close, true that... Only the toughest one, Butch's, doesn't exist... grrr... :) But what would life be without challenges... Speaking of which: When I came home from work last night, my four year old went like:
"Daddy, daddy, I did some work on Brick?"
"You did WHAATT???"
"I worked on his foot and on his back!!! Look!!! Do you like it???"
"..."
"Dad?"
"..."
God was I happy it wasn't Brick's head... you guys have any idea how difficult it is to say: "Hey, that's awesome, you've done so well!" to your son???
It's all good now, and my door is closed, like... forever...

Great work! Brick is shaping up quite nicely as are the rest of the Commandos.

Here's a pretty big one:
All sizes | Profiles in History Visit - Small Soldiers | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and for fun here's the Gorgonites:
All sizes | Profiles in History Visit - Small Soldiers creatures | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I just watched that scene again and he actually breaks the rifle. But yeah Kip can be seen holding this gun in that scene. I can't wait till the Blueray comes out in March.

Howlrunner's right, it's really close and would only require a few minor modifications.

http://www.freewebs.com/disorder155/GunComparison.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hey just so you know my Japanese book just arrived like 10 mins ago and trust me when I say you will not be disappointed i was correct the book is made by (SOFTGARAGE) :-D and it's packed full of brilliant photos of all the characters and yes it has a page for the softgarage statues but in 1:1 scale only pics of archer and chips statues.the book comes in a box and the cd comes in its own box if anyone has the chance to buy this book do it it's the best small soldiers book out there and I thought the pictures in the Stan winston book was amazing and as good as it is this softgarage book tops it I will put some pictures on my chip hazard page so check it out :).

So JEALOUS!!! Mine hasn't arrived yet...

You will love it I've put some pics on my page if you wanna have a look.let me know if the pics are showing up ok as I've been having trouble uploading them.

Well I've just ordered mine. Will be a GREAT resource to use when painting up your finished figures. ;)

Did an internet search the other day and found out that I missed getting a 1:1 GarageSoft Insaniac from eBay for $209 BIN by 5 days! I was SO gutted....

Have you considered sculpting a Gwendy head? I've modified a Barbie and it pretty much works for the body etc but the head still looks like a Barbie... If you did a generic Gwendy head you wouldn't have to bother with the body -we could easily modify doll bodies for it and customise the head too.

Hope Brick removes from surgery soon. Looking forward to more updates.

Well I've just ordered mine. Will be a GREAT resource to use when painting up your finished figures. ;)

Did an internet search the other day and found out that I missed getting a 1:1 GarageSoft Insaniac from eBay for $209 BIN by 5 days! I was SO gutted....

Have you considered sculpting a Gwendy head? I've modified a Barbie and it pretty much works for the body etc but the head still looks like a Barbie... If you did a generic Gwendy head you wouldn't have to bother with the body -we could easily modify doll bodies for it and customise the head too.

You could buy one of the fx dolls on propstore now ;-) Too expensive for me since its not a commando...
SFX Gwendy Doll Puppet
Do they all have the same heads/faces?

Yes, Brick has recovered from surgery. Link came with the first aid kit and Kip and Butch put his legs back on :)
Just saw on one of saintndm's pics that Bricks temples are carved further in... so here we go again with resculpting. I think my heads are still kind of "too flat" both in character as speaking in clay... but I think the book will help...

I had the same felling regarding Insaniac... but in this context, what the bleep is this:
Small Soldiers Nick Nitro 1 3 Prop Replica Cold Cast Figure Soft Garage Rare | eBay
That doesn't look like soft garage at all... Wonder for how much this thing will sell, if at all...

Yeah, I emailed the seller about Insaniac and when he told me he had a GarageSoft Nick Nitro going up I was really excited. Then I saw it. Yeesh! No idea how many 1:1 characters GarageSoft actually made (even as protos) - have seen a Chip, Archer, Insaniac and Freakenstein but that's it. Am working on painting my own Brick head at the moment. Would turn around pics be of use to you, or do you just want actual movie prop reference?

Yeah, I emailed the seller about Insaniac and when he told me he had a GarageSoft Nick Nitro going up I was really excited. Then I saw it. Yeesh! No idea how many 1:1 characters GarageSoft actually made (even as protos) - have seen a Chip, Archer, Insaniac and Freakenstein but that's it. Am working on painting my own Brick head at the moment. Would turn around pics be of use to you, or do you just want actual movie prop reference?

I - and I guess I speak for saintmdn and the others too here, would appreciate pictures of your painted Brick head. First every possible reference is of help, and second, I am just curious about the paintjob you have done! Do you airbrush them? There are some pics where you can nearly see what colors SW studios used, maybe they still exist today?

The pics saintmdn has been kind enough to post are amazing, gives a whole new idea of Brick's head...

Hey saintmdn!

Regarding shoulder joints, I found the following pictures (please excuse the bad resolution... nothing bigger online or better in the video). Regarding Insaniac, I am not sure whether the brownish parts are rubber bands... Thing is, I don't quite get it with the different prototypes. In the Cinefex issue they explain that they had animatronic puppets, rubber stunt puppets and rod puppets (sometimes with animatronics). But the heads of the puppets seem sometimes quite different. Kip for example has heads where his eyes seem to nearly pop out and on others he has them nearly closed. Some heads seem very lifelike, others more flat... (see the attached photos). Is this a question of painting or were there different models as well (I know there were different expression heads and some that could open and close moth and eyes, but I don't know whether this is the issue here). Any ideas?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-15 um 19.15.26.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-15 um 19.15.26.png
    723.6 KB · Views: 449
  • Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-15 um 19.16.09.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-15 um 19.16.09.png
    670.9 KB · Views: 424
  • Insaniac animatronics.jpeg
    Insaniac animatronics.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 699
  • 15675.jpg
    15675.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 23156.jpg
    23156.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 461
  • 3767456051_4bfdc270e6_o.jpg
    3767456051_4bfdc270e6_o.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,098
  • 6300935797_1c5eac541c_o[1].jpg
    6300935797_1c5eac541c_o[1].jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 373
Well with the animatronic figures they used silicon for the heads so that they could open there mouths and blink so Im guessing they made the eye sockets bigger so that you could see the expressions properly and with silicon it has a more lifelike look and texture to it the rubber stunt prop was just solid rubber no articulation just solid joints and then the rod puppets are the ones you see in the videos but only the head is controlled by rc controls the rest by different people moving the metal rods with cables to help him walk etc so with the heads your either looking at a realistic silicon or the rubber stunt and I know that silicon has a completely different painting process that makes it so lifelike the stunt ones are just made for distance shots so the details didn't have to be crisp.I will have a look in my book to see if there is anything about the joints oh and I'm glad I could help with the pictures I put up :-D.

Wow that looks fantastic! My dad actually worked for Hasbro for about 16 years and I was able to go see Small Soldiers at an early screening. Good memories!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back