SLS 3D Printed Thomas Bangalter's Daft Punk helmet project.

i really need to get technologic with my builds, you 3d printing guys make it look so easy.

that would take me months and would be nowhere near as sharp and straight.

-z

i really need to get technologic with my builds, you 3d printing guys make it look so easy.

that would take me months and would be nowhere near as sharp and straight.

-z

It is a bit of an addiction once you realize anything you can put on a computer screen can be made into reality. I use to pride myself about having my work related CAD designs being as machinable as possible. Since getting into 3D printing I'm having to catch myself more often to make sure I don't design something in an impractical way. It's probably only 1 in 10 times but that's more than it use to be.

The flip side is that everyone suddenly has an opinion on your work when it's done in 3D. They assume it's easy to fix. Maybe Giz can comment, but only true CAD users can understand how much redesign often is required for even the simplest of design changes.

Challenge and all that, right?

The flip side is that everyone suddenly has an opinion on your work when it's done in 3D. They assume it's easy to fix. Maybe Giz can comment, but only true CAD users can understand how much redesign often is required for even the simplest of design changes.

Challenge and all that, right?

My favorite part is when someones says, "that looks great, but could you maybe move it just 2 inches and make it smoother with more filets, curves, blah blah blah"

sure dude, no problem...:angry

Or better yet, "Can I have that 3D file off of you?" Something you may have spent hours after frustrating hours, and they just want you to "hand it" over. I feel ya man, I really do.

My favorite part is when someones says, "that looks great, but could you maybe move it just 2 inches and make it smoother with more filets, curves, blah blah blah"

sure dude, no problem...:angry

Or better yet, "Can I have that 3D file off of you?" Something you may have spent hours after frustrating hours, and they just want you to "hand it" over. I feel ya man, I really do.

I'll tell you what winds me up, when people think that there's absolutely no skill required to model complicated parts, and that any bloke off the street can do CAD. What the heck did we do all that training for then, eh?

:angry

I'll tell you what winds me up, when people think that there's absolutely no skill required to model complicated parts, and that any bloke off the street can do CAD. What the heck did we do all that training for then, eh?

:angry

and they want it then and now, yea that's happening...:angry

Let us not jack Rabid's thread too badly gents.

CAD is vastly different to more typical 'art' 3D packages. It's often easier to 'fudge' and 'futz' in said 3D packages between the main features you nail down. In CAD, you have to nail down every dimension, angle, curve, and so forth. There's no 'stretching' or 'pulling' or any other sort of model making technique you can use. Plenty probably think I'm off the deep end for doing such 'artistic' models in full blown CAD, but I'm an engineer, and this is what I do as part of my living. I've had (counting......) 6 years in CAD design to hone the skills required, and I've worked on Guy-Man variants for over 4 of those years (mostly as exercises to get better with complex shapes). I also tend to think very physically about the design, and do like being able to nail down a lot of stuff as it is created. Plus at the end of the day, I know that what I see is what I get.

I haven't had a problem with people asking for files. The handful that have asked just hear the program I use and realize they can't open that in blender or pepakura, and run for the hills. Giz uses the same program and has known never to ask for the files :p Maybe there are others like him.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Sanding and finishing is DONE!

Need to build a stand and install a trim ring at the bottom to identify the opening lines after casting. I am pretty busy with work right now I probably will not be able dig into this more until the weekend.

Here is a video of the helmet. It gives you a better idea of the finish. Much better than my crummy picture taking skills.

So do you guys think I will be able to get away with a one part mold and two part jacket on this? I am definitely open to suggestions at this point.

Especially with the ears fixed in place, I'd say do a two part mold with a 3 part jacket.

You have to pull a fair number of casts from this mold, so you don't want to risk tearing it while pulling a bucket from a one parter.

-Nick

I do think the longevity would certainly be increased with a two part mold. The ears do seem to complicate things a bit. Let's hope I have some luck on my side.

Well no updates yet. Just super busy. I did manage to snap a few shots wearing it to double check the size. I had some fear that it was a bit small, but after taking these I feel better about the size. I am 6ft1in for reference.

DSCF2033.jpg

DSCF2038.jpg

DSCF2040.jpg

DSCF2041.jpg

DSCF2042.jpg

I think the scale is spot on, it's just that you're a lot more... um... bulkier than Thomas? Is that the nicest way to put it? I mean the guy (Thomas) is a rail. You're proportioned more like the bikers you normally see in full leathers. Am I right?

I think the scale is spot on, it's just that you're a lot more... um... bulkier than Thomas? Is that the nicest way to put it? I mean the guy (Thomas) is a rail. You're proportioned more like the bikers you normally see in full leathers. Am I right?

I would say Rabid is proportioned like a normal American male. Thomas is a ridiculously skinny Frenchmen :lol

No worries. I know I am a bit husky at the moment, but we are working on that. Lost 20lbs in the last 3months so thats a start. Gym and diet have been an essential part of my new lifestyle regimen. I use to be "Thomas" skinny in high school and for a few years after, then I met this girl and tossed on some comfy weight....lol. It will happen to all of you when your least expecting it.

This brown rustic look is growing on me a bit. My buddy told me a should do one up in white as sort of a hybrid storm trooper.

hey, you're doing awesome with your project....i was wondering if there's any chance you could upload your 3d blueprints archives of the helmet

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back