Simple/Easier Prop Builds For a Beginner With Little Experience

kaidennett

Hi All,
I'm quite new to prop building and was hoping for some suggestions for easier/simpler prop builds. I want to start building my skills because what I have done with prop building I have found quite enjoyable but want to start to really expand. If it helps I love sci-fi a lot so anything in that genre I would love but I mainly just want to create. Thanks for taking the time to read this I hope you are all doing well!

Pick up one of Roman Props Graflex lightsaber kits. Super easy to assemble, and you'll have an iconic prop replica when you're finished.

Sean

I agree with making a lightsaber. Either from a kit or design your own. If you design your own however it turns out you can say "thats what I was going for".

depending on what you want to practice at, there's different things you can do.

if you just want to produce a finished prop that looks awesome, you can get some sort of kit, that doesn't require sanding or painting.

if you want to practice your bondo and sanding, I'd suggest a simple pepekura based prop, like a pair of bracers, or a very simple helmet (this will also let you practice base coating with paint, and final paint jobs too)

if you'd like to practice painting and weathering things, a trip to your local toy store for a nerf gun, a plastic sword, or any other "cheap available prop", and just start repainting it. assuming the thing you pick isn't to expensive, this has the added benefit of letting you get 2-3 of the same exact thing, try different painting techniques on them, and literally have them all side by side so you can tell which methods you like more.

and if you want to start casting, just buy a little simple shaped toy (possibly the same "knife" toy you pick up to repaint) and get some rudimentary casting materials (surprisingly cheap) and start making a few of your own.

There are several similar threads you can use the search feature to look up that may have something you are interested in.
There have also been several threads on basic starting tools and what is needed for certain types of projects.

The old version of this forum had links to several similar threads at the bottom of a given thread that I just noticed is now missing. :(

Some other fun project ideas can come from scratch building contests (like dollar store light sabers) held over the past few years.
Any threads on props that peak your interest may have easy and helpful information in them.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back