Silicone Rubber Suits...How To Make, Paint...any interest in a cool tutorial?

This would be great! I have been thinking for along time about the use of silicones for hands etc. A full body suit would definitely prove to be interesting and to say the least expensive.

go for foam latex, the reason it is still used is because silicone is far to heavy and makes it difficult to move.

And if you want to have a realistic skin, it doesnt come straight out of the mold with silicone. It's still all about painting skills. Just look at the suits from the predator movies.

JB

Foam latex needs a OVEN. and will rot/rip fall apart alot quicker than latex.

The suits from `Predators` WERE silicone.

heavy is a very subjective word.

Cheapest and quickest though is still latex and is what the majority of fan suits are made from, NOT foam latex, just normal LATEX.

Does silicone have a longer life? I know theres a concern with latex having a life due to it being organic... will silicone hold up longer for those who do frequent events in their suits?

Does silicone have a longer life? I know theres a concern with latex having a life due to it being organic... will silicone hold up longer for those who do frequent events in their suits?

Yes.. Silicone will last a long time... It can tear, but won't organicaly break down like latex

.., oand on the foam latex comment, ... Yes... What Lee said

Well from 1st hand use of a silicone mask ( even though just a vamp ) I can be much much roughly and carefree with it, and sustain no damage at all. maybe this is to do with the paint system i do not know. but i intend to use it for my mask and suit.

Latex will indeed rot over time.

silicone being man made will last alot lot longer.

lol didn't know that, were does it says the suits are actually made from silicone.

And i was allittle bit right about the weight, just look at the way they moved....., but seriously full suits made of silicone are quit heavy. Don't know if this also counts for smaller weight.

JB

i find this a facinating topic when you talk about latex and silicone,its great to read different views.for the weight part do you know roughly how much a whole skin would weigh?!!

yhea with only a 'thin' layer isnt that heavy but when you make a suit that has very thiock parts like the muscles it will be pretty heavy, but you can always first use foam and than make a skin of silicone to pull over the foam. So it is always possible.

only not sure if movement will work on the thick parts....

JB

You would not make the skin thick for the muscles, not only would that be stupidly expensive waste of silicone, it would weigh alot more.

I intend to pour my silicone skin then foam the muscles, trim as needed, then paint a layer of silicone over the top to keep them in place.

lol didn't know that, were does it says the suits are actually made from silicone.
JB,George works in teh industry plus he has contacts with other fx shop I would take his word for it.

And i was allittle bit right about the weight, just look at the way they moved....., but seriously full suits made of silicone are quit heavy. Don't know if this also counts for smaller weight.

JB
I really don't think that has nothing to do with the weight. it was the actor portrayal that made it look like that.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back