Shredder - TMNT - My first build ever!

How will you attach the blades to the helmet since they don't touch along the sides or the top? Maybe some sort of epoxy and a screw from the inside after it's fiberglassed?

Nice job bro! I think you are the Shredder that they showed on the TMNT's premier on Nickelodeon over the weekend.

How will you attach the blades to the helmet since they don't touch along the sides or the top? Maybe some sort of epoxy and a screw from the inside after it's fiberglassed?
i haven't decided if I'm going to fiberglass it on or screw them together.

i haven't decided if I'm going to fiberglass it on or screw them together.

Just an idea, but maybe you can fiberglass a nut into the back of the blades flush with the surface, and attach it with a bolt through the inside of the flat part of the front of the helmet. Maybe it'll work?...that way it's also removable for storage or transportation.

Either way, the connection needs to be flat as the nut would potentially press against the wearers forehead.

If you do this in foam, put a picture. I'd love to see it!

for attaching the blades maybe some wooden dowel rods glassed on the helmet to act as pins into the blades? Then a little wood/superglue would work.

Blue foam mats do not a good costume make. Started building out of pep. So far I've done the basic gauntlets and started my helm. This afternoon I'm going to clear coat my pep. and tommorrow I'll start resining/fiberglassing. I may try to continue with foam when the new mats I ordered get in, we'll see how far I get before they get here. (Any readers from germany, PM me I have questions about where to buy materials locally)

BTW, I started with some SmoothCast300 on one of my arm pieces. holy crap! when they say it has a 3 minute pot life, they mean it. It started turning into snot and then 10 seconds later into a snowball. I'd much rather have something with a 15 min window.

I also used fiberglass & resin to add support to the inside of the forearm and back or hand pieces.
(pictures to come)

Did you have to cut the forearm open to get it on?

Did you have to cut the forearm open to get it on?
Yes.

photo.jpg

thanks for the kind words and advice!

I decided to chang up my resin and fiberglass technique too. Instead of first applying a coat of resin to the outside, reshaping, spraying adhesive inside, adding strips of glass to the inside, and the resin it in, i decided to resin the inside first instead.
20121004_041047.jpg

20121004_041126.jpg

20121004_041109.jpg

I really like this flourish. whoever made it, created a really strong and easy to build design. much much different than my first one.

Last edited:
thanks for the kind words and advice!

I really like this flourish. whoever made it, created a really strong and easy to build design. much much different than my first one.

Mine curves cause I messed up while joining it. I'm on the fence about redoing it or just going forward with glassing it, and bondo/smoothing.

i've been in this situation a couple times. i always choose to push forward and i'm never happy with the results. just food for thought

Oh, you are doing the armorized version... yeah i'm not sure you are going to get better than that. its a really hard piece to build well... i'd just cut off the center piece and rebuilt that one part. your sides look pretty good and i'm not sure its worth redoing those.

have you tried to heat it up and reshape it?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back