Show off your RE weathered Obi sabers!

I've been working on this a little bit lately and I'm getting closer to what I want. I worked on the booster a little, added vintage transistors, and dulled the balance pipe a bit. I also put the handwheel in a bucket of nuts and bolts and shook it around for a minute minute or two to ding it up. I find this thing very challenging to photograph but I'm doing my best to try and show off the detail.

That's looking great Matty! I have left mine alone but yesterday I found this awesome little box at an antique shop. I had to do a little widening at the BP end but otherwise its a perfect fit and really looks like it would be at home sitting in Ben's chest. Thinking about lining the inside with black or burgundy velvet.

IMG_20301024x768.jpg

IMG_20311024x768.jpg

IMG_20321024x768.jpg

That looks great. Perfect way to display Ben's saber. Just great ZK! Matty, your saber also looks fantastic! You guys have done a great job!

Here's mine at the moment. I'm nearly done. Dulled the balance pipe to a matte finish, real transistors, real Graflex clamp and a 4 piece Chrome hand wheel. I also have a real vintage 4 piece handwheel that will be going on it soon. I'm very happy with the saber. I am loving seeing what all of you guys have done! Terrific job guys!

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 164
Zombie, that's brilliant mate. I have been on the hunt for a box for mine for years and never quite found one that I liked (or that fit).

Yours looks like it stepped out of Ben's chest.. absolutely flippin' marvellous!

High regards
MARK

That box is fantastic. Maybe for lining, you can find an old musical instrument case, something brass like a trumpet, that already has worn areas in the felt that you can cut to match where the saber makes contact. :)

It's not so much the type of camera ... it's more about which lens, distance, zoom, sharpness and most important ... how to place an object in the light and when needed the use of extra sources with that main light such as reflectors, which can be simple pieces of white tracing paper or foam board ;)

Chaim

Here is mine. It is the basic, unfinished RE kit with a real graflex clamp (Thanks 3cell!) done up like the Chronicles/Mechanismo book shows. This is my second attempt at a Chron/Mech duplicate and I am much happier with the way this 'un came out :) I did not put the wires that go through the booster and clamp, I always hated that look :lol. I also have a thread where I documented the build:
http://www.therpf.com/f79/chronicling-chronicle-mechanismo-obi-saber-build-225154/
And here are the DIFFERENT and color photos:
Ben Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Mechanismo - Chronicles version II RE.JPGBen Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Mechanismo - Chronicles version II RE (2).JPGBen Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Mechanismo - Chronicles version II RE (3).JPGBen Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Mechanismo - Chronicles version II RE (4).JPGBen Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Mechanismo - Chronicles version II RE (5).JPGBen Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Mechanismo - Chronicles version II RE (6).JPG
And the three brothers together:
ANH Lightsaber set.JPGANH Lightsaber set (2).JPG

Well, finally, I got my stand done, so I thought I'd post mine. Here she is straight out of the box.

I originally had an acrylic stand to show this thing off, but it just looked too clean. I had some scrap wood around, so I made one & then weathered it with walnut stain, black spray paint, & some brass upholstery tacks. Hit it with the sandpaper & that was it.

20140918_170511.jpg
[/IMG]

The grenade looks really rusted in the natural light, but not nearly as much indoors.

20140916_155636.jpg
[/IMG]

Notice the rust on the booster?

:facepalm

I had the saber on the deck outside while I was making the stand. I'd cut a bit, then check the fit. I stepped inside for a literal second,& lo & behold, the heavens opened without a cloud in the sky.:eek

I got it inside & dried it off the best I could, but evidently, I missed a bit. I've enjoyed all the weathering 'mods' done here in the thread. I may go that route in the future, but right now, I'm loving it as-is.:thumbsup

Thanks for fulfilling a dream, Roman. A big shot out to Rich for the custom plaque, too.

Last edited:
I had the saber on the deck outside while I was making the stand. I'd cut a bit, then check the fit. I stepped inside for a literal second,& lo & behold, the heavens opened without a cloud in the sky.:eek

Character! Rust on a weathered saber is just fine:D

AWESOME STAND!!!!

and saber, of course...

QUOTE=Usagi Pilgrim;3471685]Well, finally, I got my stand done, so I thought I'd post mine. Here she is straight out of the box.

I originally had an acrylic stand to show this thing off, but it just looked too clean. I had some scrap wood around, so I made one & then weathered it with walnut stain, black spray paint, & some brass upholstery tacks. Hit it with the sandpaper & that was it.

URL]

The grenade looks really rusted in the natural light, but not nearly as much indoors.

URL]

Notice the rust on the booster?

:facepalm

I got it inside & dried it off the best I could, but evidently, I missed a bit. I've enjoyed all the weathering 'mods' done here in the thread. I may go that route in the future, but right now, I'm loving it as-is.:thumbsup

Thanks for fulfilling a dream, Roman. A big shot out to Rich for the custom plaque, too.[/QUOTE]

Indeed very beautiful ... just one thing bugs me ... that's the correct position of your D-ring ... make up your mind ... or at about 3 o'clock compared to the clamp being straight up - see picture post# 92 ;)

Chaim

Indeed very beautiful ... just one thing bugs me ... that's the correct position of your D-ring ... make up your mind ... or at about 3 o'clock compared to the clamp being straight up - see picture post# 92 ;)

Chaim

Yeah. I am getting to that.:thumbsup

Like I said, that's how it came straight out of the box. Eventually, I'm sure I'll tweak some thing as others have done. I just figured I'd do it all once I started.

What paint techniques did you do to get that finish really like this?

I cleaned it with muriatic acid and then used Brass Black (it was the only thing I had on hand). After that cured a bit I randomly sponged on black acrylic paint to give it a lumpy kind of texture on some of the smooth parts. I then beat the hell out of it and gave it a couple clear coats for protection. I also used some rust colored pastels in the nooks and crannies in between the clear coats.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back