Shining Trapezohedron

The Schlitzie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
From H.P Lovecraft's "The Haunter of the Dark" This has been one of those props that i've always wanted and finally i am at a point where i can make my own now that i have a pressure pot. I'm getting close but i still need to make a few tweaks to get it closer to the description in the story. Once i get it down then I'll start on making the box which I'll most likely cold cast.

20190410_210156.jpg

Thanks! I still have some refining to get more pronounced striations.

Nice! Very smooth surfaces, looks a lot like the image I had in my head when reading the story. Always great to see Lovecraft related props.

I used the Harbor Freight one but did a few modifications. I'll give ya a link if you'd like.

What pressure pot did you pick up for this? It’s a super clean cast!

Here's the youtube tutorial i went by to convert a harbor freight paint pot into a decent little pressure pot for a beginner (I already want a bigger one,hehe)

He also includes a list of the parts you'll need with amazon links. He had an issue with one of the threads being full of crap and he had to re thread it (with a 3/8 pipe tap). I had the same issue. Also it wasn't threaded very deep.

Please do!

Here's the youtube tutorial i went by to convert a harbor freight paint pot into a decent little pressure pot for a beginner (I already want a bigger one,hehe)

He also includes a list of the parts you'll need with amazon links. He had an issue with one of the threads being full of crap and he had to re thread it (with a 3/8 pipe tap). I had the same issue. Also it wasn't threaded very deep.

Annnnndd great I couldn’t help myself, looked like too much fun to build

IMG_3961.jpg

AdamHunter nice! Yeah, i was a little intimidated to make my own so the tutorial with the parts list was just what i needed as a beginner. Did you end up having to tap any new threads on yours? I've been playing with clear resins with a long cure time so i have to leave mine over night and i need to track down a very slow leak somewhere in my setup.

AdamHunter nice! Yeah, i was a little intimidated to make my own so the tutorial with the parts list was just what i needed as a beginner. Did you end up having to tap any new threads on yours? I've been playing with clear resins with a long cure time so i have to leave mine over night and i need to track down a very slow leak somewhere in my setup.

Yeah the tutorial was a life saver for sure. Made it very easy to follow! While I didn't need to tap my 3/8 hole out (I couldn't believe it) I'm also getting a small leak out of that fitting, AND out of the pressure release valve fitting. Was thinking of using some Ultra Black Gasket Maker. I've used it on engine heads, so it should be alright in this application too and should provide a better seal than teflon thread tape.

Check that area on your build too. I just threw some soapy water at it and watched for bubbles, but my guess is that what's leaking on yours as well. I also realized if you have a long cure time resin and need to maintain pressure with a leak, you can set the regulator on the pot to where you want it and just leave it wide open to the compressor. Sure this isn't ideal and the compressor will have to run once or twice during the cure, but you can ensure you'll keep constant pressure that way!

AdamHunter Good point, let me know if that gasket maker does the trick. I'm paranoid about leaving the compressor on out in the shop. That and ideally I'd like to have a couple pressure pots in use at once since I've already gotten my wife hooked on casting resin jewelry.

AdamHunter Good point, let me know if that gasket maker does the trick. I'm paranoid about leaving the compressor on out in the shop. That and ideally I'd like to have a couple pressure pots in use at once since I've already gotten my wife hooked on casting resin jewelry.

I agree. That kinda sketches me out too but it was just a thought. I’m gonna give the Ultra Black a go this weekend, and I’ll let you know how it turns out. It’d be pretty cool to have a bunch of them goin at once!

Have you found an option for a larger pressure pot? Also, what did you end up doing to flatten out the base of the pot?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back