Shining, The

Hi, This is my sunday work.
View attachment 706447
Hope you like it.

Sweet! I’m about to start work on my “All work no play makes Jack a dull boy" pages so those will be in a run soon for those that want some:) Apparently, I was told by a fellow ref member, Kubrick had his assistant type over 500 pages or that scene including pages in other languages just for foreign releases of the film. CRAZY:wacko

Sweet! I’m about to start work on my “All work no play makes Jack a dull boy" pages so those will be in a run soon for those that want some:) Apparently, I was told by a fellow ref member, Kubrick had his assistant type over 500 pages or that scene including pages in other languages just for foreign releases of the film. CRAZY:wacko

Nice Project. I typed mine some years ago...

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" - 20 pages - formatted in Letter size.
I typed the first 18 pages, according to what is visible in the movie scene:
The last two pages are based on images that I found on the web.
Usually, only the upper 75% of the pages were visible, so I extrapolated the rest.
If you know how the other 480 pages were formatted, please let me know :)
AllWorkAndNoPlay-0.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-1.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-2.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-3.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-4.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-5.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-6.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-7.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-8.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-9.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-10.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-11.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-12.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-13.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-14.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-15.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-16.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-17.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-18.jpg AllWorkAndNoPlay-19.jpg

Last edited:
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" - 20 pages - formatted in Letter size.
I typed the first 18 pages, according to what is visible in the movie scene:
The last two pages are based on images that I found on the web.
Usually, only the upper 75% of the pages were visible, so I extrapolated the rest.
If you know how the other 480 pages were formatted, please let me know :)
That's awesome work. Thanks for sharing it.

Warning to all: multiple times when I clicked on this thread, my iphone safari browser was maliciously hijacked and quickly redirected dozens of times to the following scam website (I’ve deleted part of the address to make it nonfunctional.) I don't know if it’s an RPF-wide infection (but it only happens in this thread) or perhaps one of the attachments/images/ads here. This type of hijack is so rare on iphone that I thought I should mention it.

Last edited:
Warning to all: multiple times when I clicked on this thread, my iphone safari browser was maliciously hijacked and quickly redirected dozens of times to the following scam website (I’ve deleted part of the address to make it nonfunctional.) I don't know if it’s an RPF-wide infection (but it only happens in this thread) or perhaps one of the attachments/images/ads here. This type of hijack is so rare on iphone that I thought I should mention it.

Thanks for the warning
Did you send a message to one of the mods so they can find out what's causing it?

No, not recently. I checked a few times when I first saw it on Sunday and it happened each time when I scrolled in the middle of the current page past some posted images. But it did not occur when I reported it to you or now.

It is possible that it was a bad advertiser. We have banned the url you sent. They do slip through the cracks from time to time but it is rare. Please let me know if you see it again.

Finally got some time to do the cardboard box to house all the pages Markus made and so kindly shared.
My old typewriter will do for the time beeing to display the first page. Maybe some time I'll try to get an accurate one...

Here's the result:

View attachment 1035369View attachment 1035370View attachment 1035371View attachment 1035372View attachment 1035373View attachment 1035374
Fantastic idea, and very nicely executed. Your typewriter, while it may not be perfect, is exactly the right style. I really have to build such a cardboard box too. I just need to find a space where to put it. Together with the typewriter, it needs quite a bid of space - and only very few people will ever recognize what this is...

shining-notebook.jpg

After creating the 20 all-work-and-no-play-makes-jack-a-dull-boy pages, I was wondering what to do with those. I love what MAKE BELIEVE did with his beautiful display, but I wouldn't know where to put that (plus, I don't have such a nice typewriter).
So, to have this around in my daily life, I decided to create a notebook - with the legendary carpet pattern for the cover.

The notebook (5.8" x 8.3") has 80 numbered pages. The even (left) pages are empty and the odd (right) pages have the typewriter pages that I posted above, printed in medium grey. This is dark enough that one can easily read it (and use as a small coffee table book), but bright enough to be used as a notebook.
And since I made a few for myself, I thought I could also make it available for others. Here is the link:
All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy by Jack Torrance (Paperback) - Lulu
(hint: about once a week, Lulu.com offers 15% coupons which are valid for 2 or 3 days)

Great idea Markus. Love that carpet pattern cover
Would you consider making that pattern available at the forum so it could be printed (even if not in a carpet, I'd love to have a "sample" of that pattern
Thanks a lot

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back