Shiniest gun in the Verse! Mal Reynolds pistol. WIP.

Details, details, details. I've started adding all of the little bits and pieces to the build, as well as some revisions to things already done. Three changes I made were the plate at the end of the grip, the clip, and the front sights. After seeing a wonderful set of photo's in brushbrushbrush's thread for his Mal pistol, I realized that the butt plate was too thin, so I hacked it off an replaced it with a thicker piece. The clip was redone, because it was just a little too long, and the front sight a bit wide. The rear sights on this build have been tricky, i feel like I'm close to what I want, I'm just going to have some fun with bondo tonight, to get it all filled in and sanded even. I added the trigger, as well as a ridge that runs along the top of the pistol. I still have to add the two small side plates on the front of the pistol. I tried last night but the plastic I had was too thick and it ended poorly.

20140812_235745.jpg20140812_235748.jpg20140812_235826.jpg20140812_235843.jpg20140812_235809.jpg

That thing Is looking nice! just as good as a couple of resin one's I have. well had. I hacked one of them up. again great work.:thumbsup

That thing Is looking nice! just as good as a couple of resin one's I have. well had. I hacked one of them up. again great work.:thumbsup

Thanks man! I'm still debating on weather or not I should cast this once it's done. It's turning out to be pretty close as far as replicas go, but it might not be close enough for anyone to want to buy it. That and I've never done castings before haha.

More updates! Finished up some more detailing last night and started on finishing work! I have not yet added the safety, or the screws that are placed along the body so it is easier to sand. Now it's just polishing, adding the last few details and then time to paint her up all pretty like. I am using steel wool at this point as it gives the surface a very nice polished look. I am using a clear varnish on the grips, so far only one coat, but i think 4 or 5 coats should do it nicely.

20140813_205032.jpg20140813_211341.jpg20140813_211357.jpg

***** man you've got that finished quickly, I'm still only on the main gun body, getting it how I want haha, it's looking really well mate keep it up and the no power in the verse can stop you

Is that American Black Walnut for the grips. worked with wood all my life and still can't tell whats what. and If so may I ask were you picked It up. I have to go looking for some soon..

Grips look fantastic..

Is that American Black Walnut for the grips. worked with wood all my life and still can't tell whats what. and If so may I ask were you picked It up. I have to go looking for some soon..

Grips look fantastic..

It is! My father installed black walnut floors in someones home, so I was able to make the grips from some scrap.

- - - Updated - - -

***** man you've got that finished quickly, I'm still only on the main gun body, getting it how I want haha, it's looking really well mate keep it up and the no power in the verse can stop you

This build has consumed my life haha. More than one night in the shop until 4 am.

I am in awe. Tell us a little about your dust management. Every time I have sanded MDF, I have generated tons of really fine miserable dust, and I have a power carving hood! How do you handle this problem?

I am in awe. Tell us a little about your dust management. Every time I have sanded MDF, I have generated tons of really fine miserable dust, and I have a power carving hood! How do you handle this problem?

Simple answer, I don't, haha. I've been working on this in my dad's barn, which he has converted into a wood working shop. The entire floor is one big layer of dust. Once in a while he just goes in with a big shop vac and cleans it all up. To keep the pistol clean, I've just been wiping it down with a dry cloth in between sandings, and painting it in another area.

Well folks, I'm starting to get REALLY excited about this build. Pulled another late night to do some painting on the pistol, and so far, I'm really pleased with the turnout.
After a few coats of primer and sanding, I hit the pistol with Rub n' Buff. This product is amazing! Thank you Adam Savage for talking about it in tested videos, and introducing me to this wonderful stuff. I used autumn gold for the body and silver for the trigger guard and grip. Once I had that nice and polished, I added a couple of coats of clear coat, then a thin layer of flat black. I've started to weather the gun with steel wool to let the bronze colour show through. I still want to do a bit more, before adding some dirt and grime. Although at this point I might take a couple of nights off before I do the final finishing.

20140814_210346.jpg20140814_224428.jpg20140814_224449.jpg20140814_225528.jpg20140814_225543.jpg20140814_225614.jpg20140814_225732.jpg

From start to finish I think you did an amazing Job. I'm confused tho. I did not think you could clear coat rub n buff..

From start to finish I think you did an amazing Job. I'm confused tho. I did not think you could clear coat rub n buff..

I wasn't aware of this fact, but so far, it seems to be holding up okay. I used rustolium clear coat, and although it did go just a tad muddy, overall it worked. One thing I will say is this, use very thin coats. It will have some trouble staying put, so light thin spray is best. The first coat I did started to drip almost immediately. So i wiped it off, and started spraying from further back, to the point of just misting the pistol. I wanted the clear layer to help prevent going right through the rub n buff layer and into the primer when weathering the black top layer. I will be testing how a buffing wheel works on my rotary tool to help even out the weathering, and I will let everyone know how it goes.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back