Shatner TWOK - This may cheese off the purists...

I believe the WOK suits didn't have the stomach pleats, so I think this is a later style. Also the WOK suits didn't have the wide cuffs with the stitching on them either and the fabric looks different.
I could be completely wrong though.

Good points...

In this instance, I don't know if you can judge this book by it's color.

Between the age, the bright studio lights we shot this under as opposed to the lights used for filming, etc., it's tough to make a call for sure.

The cuffs do have the segmented stitching:

KhanKuff1.jpg

cuffdetail.jpg

KirkKuff2.jpg

cuffdetail2.jpg

The jury is still out on the stomach pleat, though. A quick spin through TWOK didn't give me conclusive evidence either way. Too grainy or dark or shadowed to find a clear shot. Best I could find is this:

KirkPleatFull.jpg

KirkPleat1.jpg

And I only have the one, so as far as the material is concerned, I couldn't say for sure. maybe someone else who has been up close and personal to one of these can chine in.

Please continue to toss ideas in. I'm just as curious as you are to know for sure where this was used :)

I believe the WOK suits didn't have the stomach pleats, so I think this is a later style. Also the WOK suits didn't have the wide cuffs with the stitching on them either and the fabric looks different.
I could be completely wrong though.

By pleats I assume you are referring to the fitting darts from the bottom hem up to about mid stomach area... they were present in all the maroon monster uniforms ever made. That is part of what makes them fit so well...

And yes, the cuffs were designed with the three rows of stitching to "finish" the sleeves...

Also, keep in mind that the chain used in TWOK and TSFS was a different type than what they added later on. The original chain was a bit more like chain and less decorative like the replacement chain that KP started selling. KP did restoreation on an original Kirk uniform, added the newer style chain and people have since thought it was the only chain used...

BG

Cool, thanks for pointing all the details out.
Anyone still have that old issue of Starlog with the costume write up? I seem to remember pics of the WOK uniforms and an interview with the costume designer where they stated they used 'custom dyed wool gaberdine'.
I'd like to read that article again.

Here's a couple of detail pics I grabbed today...

Jacket Label: (Prod. #2702?)
ShatTag2.jpg

Off The Rack Pants Label: (Size 32-34)
LeonTag.jpg

Better Sleeve View: All the rank braid & insignias were off. I hand stitched the service bar and rank pin on, the Admiral braid is loose.
Wrist.jpg

IIRC, the Admiral's braid on the cuff was different in TWOK compared to the following movies - think it was a checkered-pattern braid as seen on Battlestar Galactica TOS uniforms. The above braid was used from TSFS and onwards.

Mr. Fusion, do you have any photos not in bright lighting........but perhaps in shadow of this suit. I've been told on numerous occasions that it's true "maroon" color shows best out of studio lighting, without flash.

IIRC, the Admiral's braid on the cuff was different in TWOK compared to the following movies - think it was a checkered-pattern braid as seen on Battlestar Galactica TOS uniforms. The above braid was used from TSFS and onwards.

You are correct, the brain used in TWOK was indeed surplus BSG warrior braid...

These Maroon were stripped of their accutrements for cleaning many times, and also redressed many times. Likley the admirality braid currently on the uniform are from the CIC redress...

And yes, under bright lighting these uniforms look much darker, but they also did have some fading in color over time as the cleanings stripped some of the dye from them.

BG

Here's some more info on the chain-

703.jpg

You want the one at the very top, #703X Nickel Plate.

Here's the link-

http://providencechain.com/Other styles.htm

and the 800 # - (800)783-1499

As far as I know, this was the only style used on the hero uniforms, but they may have used something cheaper for the background guys. :)

-Sarge

Here's some more info on the chain-

703.jpg

You want the one at the very top, #703X Nickel Plate.

Here's the link-

http://providencechain.com/Other styles.htm

and the 800 # - (800)783-1499

As far as I know, this was the only style used on the hero uniforms, but they may have used something cheaper for the background guys. :)

-Sarge

I'll get you guys a picture of the chain that was used on the early uniforms... the chain you have a picture of is the replacement chain they started using later... I've got a TWOK command jacket and a Chekov that both have the earlier style chain that looks more like the chain Fletcher drew in his notes...

BG

This chain was given to me WHILE the person was working on making the WOK uniforms for the movie.

WOKLink.jpg

The links were seperated and sewed on flat, like so.

WOKLink2.jpg

From a set of notes that has been floating around (incorporating some nstructions by Robert Fletcher, who designed the uniforms):

fletcherwokuniformschai.jpg

fletcherwokadmiralnotes.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back