Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP Gesso Hybrid

You have to show us your ways!

Thanks guys...heres my technique so far that is working

1) Gesso any kind will do as long as it has the consistency of hair gel. You don't need to buy the expensive golden sandable any gesso is sandable but you want something thicker then glue.

2) Aguaflex for drywall repair. This is the key this product is a mashup of paperfiber and fiberglass and is sandable its also rated for 3mm flexability so its a great base coat plus a great filler.

3) Apply a consistent coat of aguaflex let dry overnight, wet sand 360 then another coat wait a few hours and go to the gesso step

4) I live in a garment district so I find pieces of foam the squishy yellow kind for free and its a great applicator of the gesso. After I have sanded the aguaflex smooth I layer the gesso filling gaps and holes drying and sanding between coats again with 360 grit wet sandpaper until I get about 1.5mm thick coating.

5) Wet sand till you even out the dent dings divets or clean the 90 degree angles and let dry over night

Now you can paint....I found red primer to look nice, I didnt want a shinny brand new car look and car paint is sooo expensive here and worse it cracks. The gesso with primer will give you tiny tiny tiny cracks if you flex too much but not like broken pottery.

I like the way the suit feels now more beefy and its great to use on 5mm or 6mm foam so graphic J if your checking this out dont hate your 5mm this is a great option. As I get more ahead ill post pics thanks for all the support hopefully Ill get this finished before avengers 2 comes out

Hello I apologize I know it's been a while since anyone has posted on this thread, I think you guys all went to another but I hope someone might be able to answer just a quick question: where can I buy aguaplast? :p Anything in the states rather than ordering from Spain?

Also I just wanted to say I admire you all and thank you for sharing all your hard work and creativity with an aspiring cosplayer :)

Hello I apologize I know it's been a while since anyone has posted on this thread, I think you guys all went to another but I hope someone might be able to answer just a quick question: where can I buy aguaplast? :p Anything in the states rather than ordering from Spain?

Also I just wanted to say I admire you all and thank you for sharing all your hard work and creativity with an aspiring cosplayer :)

WoW yes been a while I have another project been working on that has prevented me from blogging etc...stupid non disclosure agreements...but Im back. First and foremost thank you for the appreciation the suit has come a long way Ill be posting pics soon.
About the aquaplast check in your local hardware store, and check in the section where you find drywall products. Aquaplast is sold everywhere you should find it there if not why not order its worth it and a small container is enough for the whole suit.
Heres my tips after going through sooooooo many different materials and failures.
1) Apply four coats of aguaplast to the naked foam, you can apply a new coat about every two hours but each coat you do, do it in a different direction lets say start with top to bottom then left to right then right to left and finish bottom to the top....let it dry overnight and listen carefully! wet sand 150 to 200 is fine use a block and constantly wet your goal is not to remove the material but get a smooth coat for whatever you put on top....if you choose gesso try this
2) The first coat of gesso thin out with water I tried the brushes, I tried the foam brushes, I even tried the foam rollers all of it a waste of money, use your finger and smooth a thin coat over use the same technique of alternating directions of coats after each one has driend about 3 4 hour I usually do the aqua plast...and gesson and then while its drying I go on to another piece.

Once the diluted gesso coats dry wet sand, with a 400 then wipe and let dry, then use gesso in full concentraion with your finger and do the 4 coats let dry overnight

Yeah I know its alot of work, and you may say well why not just do the fiberglass and quickcast. I guess because the foam stays flexable and gesso is meant for painting its flexability works really well and I havent got a single crack excpet on the cod piece and thats because I was sitting on it. Its also a great way to get experience cheaply because if you go to the molding and quickcast technique wet sanding is the def way to go and will give you amazing results I still love the foam for its flexabiltiy and ease of use and efficiency plus if you screw up the scale or it doesnt work just do it again

I wish you the best of luck on your future builds any question Ill be happy to help

You have to show us your ways!

Hey old friend been a while been on another project that keep me from blogging tweeting pinteresting what have you. The suit has come a long way Ill be posting pics in the next few weeks. So far I have wore the suit a few times and still no cracking. Devinci used gesso and paint its a technique that goes back hundreds of years and for good reason it works! Im really happy with the results and after you go through the insanity of imperfections you take a step back and say wow...ya I know its about the same amount of elbow grease as quickcast and fiberglass but you cant beat the foam for price and flex point plus its saves some cash to add neat gadgets to your suit such as arduino board or motorized bucket.....Hope all is well with my fellow cosplayers missed it but the shadow is back! just in time for the new Iron man that started shooting three months ago

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back