Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP Gesso Hybrid

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Shadow333, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Yeah another Iron Man Mark IV and another first timer. . So after all the inspiriation here at the RPF I'm starting my first project. First of all I want to thank Robo3867 for the pep files and Stealth for the Foam Modifications and break dancing Iron man.... Graphic Jordan, and Project earth, Jowe and finhead and Coofunky for their inspiration. Ive done a ton of googling on materials for my build and In the end due to supply limitations I found some alternatives that have been tested before but never on foam armour as I know of......mods ;).
    I used micro closed cell foam used for shoe orthotics. The stuff is amazing not only is it Thermo Moldable extremely dense and lightweight its non porous so doesnt absorb too. So here is my material list.....Im going to post my updates as soon as they are completed I will share everything so that I can get some feedback thats the point no?

1) Plastazote/Polyethelyne hybrid orthotic 5mm, 3.5mm, 2mm.
    2) A good strrong Hair dryer about 2500 watts.
    2) Foam Shears and extremely sharp scissors.
    3) Exacto Knife and a ton of blades you might as well stock up your going to have to make a few shop runs better spend your time building.
    4) 45 degree foam cutter and a cutting mat
    5) Contact adhesive just less messy then the glue gun plus when I used the heat dryer doesnt melt.
    6) DIY Rivet eyelet gun
    7) Velcro and eleastic bands
    8) Coffee or Ritalin this project takes focus!
    9) Band AIds and burn creme * those glue guns!!!!!!!
    10) Gesso Primer the cheap stuff
    11) Sandable Gesso..I found Golden is good but if you find one that is really thick like gel its even better!
    12) Aguaplast for drywall 3mm flex rating mixture of fiberglass and paper and gooey stuff...dries opaque and hard like year old gum on the bottom of a dennys dinning table
    13) Red Primer, Yellow Primer, Brass metallic spray, and Toyota Barcelona red b which is a little darker recommended by blackdynamo in his tutorial
    14) 100 grit sandpaper, 250, 400 and 800 wet sand

I want all the criticism i can get and tips and techs so I can improve and if anyone has any questions you can PM me or post and Ill get back to you.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. chimmera30

chimmera30 Well-Known Member

Re: Shadow Mark VI Project

Can't wait to see your build !!
    Post tons of pics!

3. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Re: Shadow Mark 4 Project

sorry for the delay...Having troube with uploading pics.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

So starting with the Gauntlets....took me a while to figure out why I wasnt getting the results I wanted. If you notice on the pep files by Robo and Foam Edit by stealth there is pieces missing on the palm causing the bottom of the finger attachemts from the back to the lower palm to misalign. I extended those pieces by free hand and works beautifully. Ill post pics later of the master templates I created after I do the last polishing up...[​IMG]
    http://www.therpf.com/members/shadow333/albums/right-repulser/9465-gauntlet-interior.jpg
    http://www.therpf.com/members/shadow333/albums/right-repulser/9464-gauntlet-back.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  5. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

well done man... well done:):thumbsup

If this is how the gauntlet looked like, what more with the rest of the suit... i can only guess - PERFECT!!!

cheers!

6. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

heres the back of the gauntlet Its full enclosed I used elastic band from a bandage to give it some give fits great with a bare hand even better with a cotton glove, you could say it fits like a glove!:thumbsup[​IMG]

7. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Ok took a break from the fingers on the hunt for electrical conduit....found some great material to fill the gaps on the forearms pics will be posted in a few. Thanks for all pm comments stealth and ProjectEarth see ya in the next post

8. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Right Forearm before cleanup

Not my cleanest work to date unfortunatly but just wanted some feed back. Evidently this foam can be sanded with a fine grain so gave it a shot and rounded out some edges. I plan on getting some latex calk and filling in the gaps and sanding that I heard it works....keep ya posted

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

oh...one of those "going all out builds"

I can already tell.

keep it up man. It will be great for sure.

10. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

a little update. here is the forearm done and bicep. I first printed the forearm then sized it to mine, decreased the scale by 10%, did the same for the bicep but left the inner armor of the bicep at full scale to fill up the gaps. I like the way graphic jordan did his so tried to emulate it as well. Next the addition to the bicep for the shoulder...one thing I can recommend is working with the small parts first till you get the right touch such as the fingers. This will give you some experience without F*@#@ too large of pieces and wasting foam. Scale, its a must you want that proportional look but also to fit nice and snug thats the point no? Pep Viewer has default 10% increase or decrease try to print out the pieces tape them together and get a rough fit keep doing this till you get it snug but able to wear something underneath and for your electronics....ohhh one last thing im using surgical scalpels they come in many different shapes and I experiment with different types for every different piece plus they are super cheap and sharp as it gets. Till the next update rock on my foam warriors[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

.....[​IMG]

12. ZacharyHurst

ZacharyHurst Active Member

Re: Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP

Really excellent work Shadow. With your permission I will be examining your Palm/Glove armor very closely! That is a piece to my suit that I have not been happy with. Keep at this man, You will be very happy with your finished product!

13. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

zach I took me a few tries to get the palm right with the help of Project earth and His brother I got it almost to my liking. Check out his thread he is also doing a run if Im not mistaken....
    http://www.therpf.com/f24/ironman-foam-gauntlet-wip-our-very-1st-foam-build-repulsor-131101/
    The fingers are done with the warmachine files and the final is just right and much easier and looks accurate. The way we both did it to print the files and combine pieces with tape to make a completed template. On the palm you have to adopt a three layer thinking process. Lay out all the palm pieces forget the details concentrate on the outline of the piece. Once you lay down all the pieces you get a palm plate per say. Cut that out and then layer the details I used 3mm and then 2mm for the second layers. What happens when you do this is the knuckles which have the repulser details become one with the piece and once you assemble it takes shape. Me and PE's brother are crazy about perfection and one way to do this is to think ahead and combine then template less joins the more clean it looks..if you need the files PM me good luck

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  14. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Template layout[​IMG]

15. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Layering the knuckles on the palm...[​IMG]

16. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Little update on the progress with the fingers...[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  17. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

[​IMG]Hey everyone got the chest done up pics soon....any one have ideas on how i can coat and correct details on the foam such as bondo Im just looking for a way to fill the gaps and soften some angles out...cheers

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  18. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Chest piece up now that I have an Idea of the symetry on to the shoulders then back then legs and electronics then a twist Ive been thinking about doing

19. writefast

writefast Active Member

Came into this thread expecting a Shadow build! Great work none the less! I'm curious about the elbow detail. Can you tell me what that is?

20. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

cheers man..appreciate the compliment Its a bath matt that you buy by the meter costs about 2 bucks a meter :thumbsup

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  21. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Just a little update been so busy! here is the back, chest shoulders complete abs are in progress as you can see....[​IMG]

22. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

And the back.....[​IMG]

23. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

good stuff, cant wait to see more

24. bogeyphobia99

bogeyphobia99 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got a ba...no, wait...GOOD feelin' 'bout this one! Looking forward to more progress!

25. Izam

Izam New Member

nice... can't wait to see more progress on this project.

26. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Cheers mates for the support will post updates soon......

27. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Sent a PM to Project Earth asking about option other then white glue or plastidip just want to say big thanks for the recommendation for latax emulsion(y)thumbsup:thumbsup did some research and found a product called Gesso its used for priming canvas for painting and wont crack even if rolled up as most artwork is done....so I layed down a few test layers, so far it covers up all the imperfections its elastic doesnt crack and you can lay down paint as if your were painting plastic! Love it and is super cheap.....two coats now on shoulder bells and chest brace updates to come o forgot to mention seals the foam super well and paint goes on super glossy and with min layers...heres a pic you can find it at any art store[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  28. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Info Bump....

29. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

could you post a picture of the finish? does it completely fill in all the pores?

30. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Yeah....Sure thing big fan by the way of your star wars suits...Here is a few pics in progress two layers applied...been raining sloooooooooow dry time. As far as I can tell its applies a thin layer of vinyl or rubber like plastidip and since art canvas can be rolled up it flexes allowing the paint to flex with it and no cracking so far on the test piece. On that piece I put two layers, one light spray of primer, and then one very light coat of paint. The product costs about 5 dollars for good size bottle that so far after two coats on the back ,bells, neck brace, and collar is not even close to below half. I heard its wet sandable so thats the next test....
    The bells and chest Two coats...[​IMG]Test Piece...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  31. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Nice work man!!! Also thanks for the product review; I'm starting my build in foam of the IM MKVI; and I'm looking at all the tips I can find...

Awesome craftsmanship!!!!

David

32. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

This is a beautiful build.. Can't wait to see more.

33. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the Info on another option on sealing the foam. I will go to the art store and see if they have that and try it out.

You do know, this is a HUGE deal if it takes to the paint well and doesn't crack.
    It's always good to hear of an easier/more efficient option.

Your suit is looking great btw

34. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Stef so far i let the test piece dry for a few days...it has two coats of Gesso Primer and one of regular primer and a coat of ordinary spray paint. Adhesion is just perfect more importantly paint doesn't soak in at all zero zilch none....as far as for the cracking well it does crack a tiny bit but not the massive fractures you get from just spraying on foam Ill post comparison pics....

one last thing stealth the most feared question of all!
    what scale do you use for the cod? Test Fit showed Iron Man Project Shadow was most likely to work as a male prop stripper (Came out kinda like a g string!) at regular scale.I aint rocking that unless i stumble on a new fetish for some you crazy plushies out there

35. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

cheers thanks for the recognition....

36. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

37. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

38. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Again all credit goes to the pinoy with a perfection streak like me....Project Earth Salamat

39. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Hey... NO name-dropping...lol:lol

Its what this community is all about... SHARING! ;):thumbsup

cheers my friend!

40. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

Did you ever try out the latex caulking to fill the bigger gaps and sand it down?

Were you looking at acrylic latex with silicone or generic latex caulk?

Cheers,

Shades

41. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

We dont have latex caulking here just silicone and the white stuff (actual definition here) I did use the white stuff to fill in the bigger gaps and then gesso above that then primer so far also I found candy apple red is just to toy looking and playing around I found that if you spray a base of gold then scarlett red it comes out spot on especially if you give it a light dusting of gold at the top coat more pics soon....

42. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Yes sharing is caring! tell me how long of a turnaround do i need for my helmet im getting down to wire of carnival here

43. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Just a quck addition....I layed down three layers of Gesso, sprayed regular primer then with finishing sand paper comes out smooth as glass does not decrease flexability or increase rigidness whatsoever so so far so good just killing time while it dries and post pic of painted pieces

44. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Good luck mate enjoy the process we are all here to help except master lee cosplay oooooooo yes i said it!

45. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Sharing is caring!:thumbsup

46. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm really curious- what are you using for the ribbing between the joints on the elbow?

47. ginyu force

ginyu force Active Member

looks great man, one of the best costumes i have seen yet

48. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Its cheap euro bath mat that they sell like fabric painted black

49. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

Cheers mate:thumbsup

50. mizuno hadouken

mizuno hadouken Well-Known Member

So this is straight gesso applied with a squeegee? Not watered down? Then wet sanded to remove streaks?