Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP Gesso Hybrid

Re: Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP

The force is strong with this one....awesome, I will try the product too...I think you should try the finest sand paper you can find and use a sanding block, that way you can have a cleaner finish (I guess), I saw an instructional using the blocks, you sand the whole piece one direction, then do another pass but this tile going against the one you already did, that way everything is proportional and even...I hope that makes sense....

also thanks for the hand plate file.....

Cheers!!!!

Hey Shadow I just found a tutorial about Gesso!!! I think you may have found the best thing to give the foam armor a better finish, also the lady on the tut talks about sanding it and make it super smooth...I think we can make a nice looking cheap costume that may look like the professional material here is the link:

What's Gesso? - YouTube

Update on Gesso

I went back to the drawing board on the neck chest shoulder and back.....purchased golden hard Gesso. Three coats and sanding and Im getting a smooth cast similar coating meaning smooth after sanding and no cracking whatsoever. For anyone reading this I believe That the 3 coats regular Gesso and 3 coats Hard Sandable Gesso is the way to go. Post pics soon after sanding is done....anyone had any success with dremel sanding? Anyone else going the Gesso route?

Hey Shadow I just found a tutorial about Gesso!!! I think you may have found the best thing to give the foam armor a better finish, also the lady on the tut talks about sanding it and make it super smooth...I think we can make a nice looking cheap costume that may look like the professional material here is the link:

What's Gesso? - YouTube

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup shes using a different product then golden sandable Gesso none the less great find

Cant stand streaks!

Since there is little info on Gesso and foam its all been trial and error. Ive finished the bells and chest post pics soon heres a little teaser of what can be done with Gesso and Tons of sanding.....a few more coats and some more sanding and its ready for paint....
11282-gessodup.jpg

Working on a foam hybrid and have been looking for alternatives to Plasti-dip and the fabric glue method and found this! Now I have a use for that bottle of Gesso I have! A couple of questions I have is what kind of primer are you using? Is it an acrylic primer or automotive type? And is it regular Gesso or heavy? Uhm, make that three questions...

The gesso im using is regular gesso and sandable Gesso. The regular Gesso seals the foam and put a layer of flexable material down. Once that is done I put a few layers of Sandable Gesso as its thicker it covers up the joins and can be sanded smooth. I have found another product to use and its going really well check out the new post....Ill soon be moving this post to a different title called Mark IV Hybrid foam. cheers mate back to sanding

Hybrid Foam New Product Aquaplast!

So heres the thing....this is has been my first project. I love the castings and how they look but lack the resources and skill to do so...none the less I felt I was coming up short with a final look on the foam....that led me to Gesso and its been great. Now I found something even better!!!!! it comes from Spain and is called aguaplast.
Aquaplast is water based acrylic with reinforced fiberglass. It dries clear and can be sanded to a car paint finish. You do have to do alot of sanding and resanding but you will see the pics soon looks like cast material. The greatest thing about it is that its still flexable so it keeps with the foam philosopy. Pics Soon

11441-fibra.jpg

This is Aquaplast....you can brush it on or use a plastic putty knife..it has fiberglass in the emulsion and dries in about two hours..you must put it on thin and layer then grade sand meaning use 150 grit then 220 then 400 then wet sand 600 or above. The results are F!#***** awesome pics will be up soon...the product cost here about 13 buck and goes a long long long long way. Ive done the bells the back chest collar. For anyone looking for hybrids builds Gesso and Aquaplast is def the way to go!

After sanding the gesso completed the arc reactor (obligatory light on photo).....primed 1st paint, then more sanding etc...
11719-chest-primed.jpg

Gesso Up....WIP photos of last stages

Once base prime in red....as the defects of the gesso and sanding are more visable. This is a mock attachement of the pieces some WIP....now back to sanding and more sanding
11718-chest-works.jpg

So been super busy and since this gesso thing hasnt been done yet alot of mistakes and fixes....at this point working hard on the sanding pics will post soon

Last edited:
Because plastidip costs around 40 dollars a can here, I found some alternatives as some of you may know about gesso. Since im the first to try this app towards foam its been alot of trial and error and getting info on it is limited. Here is the chest done, abs done without cod shoulders and neck. it took alot of coats wet sanding and more coats to fix dips dings and mistakes. Im happy with the chest now so moving on to the rest of the pieces....heres a tentative assembly with the pieces let me know if anyone has any suggestions.....
12169-photo-1.jpg

Wow great work. Can hardly tell with the paint its made out of foam. I like your idea on the foam built cant wait to start my first. Keep up the good work.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back