Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP Gesso Hybrid

Re: Shadow Mark 4 Project WIP

We dont have latex caulking here just silicone and the white stuff (actual definition here) I did use the white stuff to fill in the bigger gaps and then gesso above that then primer so far also I found candy apple red is just to toy looking and playing around I found that if you spray a base of gold then scarlett red it comes out spot on especially if you give it a light dusting of gold at the top coat more pics soon....

Yes sharing is caring! tell me how long of a turnaround do i need for my helmet im getting down to wire of carnival here

Just a quck addition....I layed down three layers of Gesso, sprayed regular primer then with finishing sand paper comes out smooth as glass does not decrease flexability or increase rigidness whatsoever so so far so good just killing time while it dries and post pic of painted pieces

Nice work man!!! Also thanks for the product review; I'm starting my build in foam of the IM MKVI; and I'm looking at all the tips I can find...

Awesome craftsmanship!!!!

David

Good luck mate enjoy the process we are all here to help except master lee cosplay oooooooo yes i said it!

So this is straight gesso applied with a squeegee? Not watered down? Then wet sanded to remove streaks?

Yeah its straight up Gesso. I thought by adding layers it would cover up some defects but you would have to put on 30 layers but it does seal all the pores etc, i did use some caulk for big gaps...as far as the sanding I found after you spray a thin layer of spray primer then sand it gets super shiny and smooth. No need to sand too much otherwise it gums up and peels the thin layer of vinyl I used finishing sand paper to a super smooth finish you do still get streaks just no way around it, its foam I dont think it is possible to get a smooth cast look with foam but im working on it.

Nice work man!!! Also thanks for the product review; I'm starting my build in foam of the IM MKVI; and I'm looking at all the tips I can find...

Awesome craftsmanship!!!!

David

Cheers mate..any questions happy to help keep reading through the forum I do have some tips for ya....watch every episode of stealth hero tutorials especially break dancing Iron man!
Use really sharp scissors and extacto...cut out the pieces with scissors and trim if needed with an extaco, sometime the knife gets stuck in the cutting board and oooops cut through your line
I also reccomend printing your pieces on regular paper first get an idea of fit for you and cut the card stock as accurate as possible the use a .4mm pen to draw on the foam I used 5mm foam because you get that crispiness and its cheaper.....Good Luck:thumbsup

Working on a foam hybrid and have been looking for alternatives to Plasti-dip and the fabric glue method and found this! Now I have a use for that bottle of Gesso I have! A couple of questions I have is what kind of primer are you using? Is it an acrylic primer or automotive type? And is it regular Gesso or heavy? Uhm, make that three questions...

I can't wait to see more shots and info of how well the gesso holds up. I love how easy EVA foam is to work with, but I totally hate that you can't bondo and sand it like you can resin/fiberglass. I'm like you, I want a car show shine to the armor. Following this thread very closely!

Last edited:

I used the cheap stuff, they say you gotta use it anyway before the hard Gesso and since we dont have that here im going with the generic would love to hear how it turns out for ya....I used just regular primer, no plastic/automotive, works well since Gesso is also a primer i finish sanded the regular primer after it dried before the first coat of paint.

Last edited:
Gesso, Primer, two coats of scarlet red and light spray of gold

And heres the Collar....
11142-collor.jpg

And The Shoulder Bells...
11141-bells.jpg

Shoulder and Neck unfinished Chest....
11143-collar-bells.jpg

Just the Brace and the shoulders...
11144-collor-w-shoulder.jpg

Chest is up next back

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back