Seeking advice re making molds

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

sith75

I have been working on a set of mjolnir mark vi armor from halo for some time and have been thinking about making a (Please forgive my lingo) mold to make casts from. CAn anyone advise me on what I would require for supplies and ball park price? I do know many molds I have seen are made from silicone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

opal1970

Hi Sith,

well you have a lot of different possibilities depending on what you want to mold. Yes, the most molds are made with RTV Silicone (meaning silicone that cures at room temp).

Galane has a thread going regarding this topic, and I believe there is also a short HowTo.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/making-rtv-silicone-molds-139755/

Google will be your best friend for finding information on this,,,, there is literally a wealth of information out there. check that out, the Smooth-On web site ( Mold Making Videos and Photo Tutorials presented by Smooth-On, Inc ), they not only have a bunch of introductory videos that are useful for getting an understanding of the different techniques but they also make a very good product for molding and casting.

Tip from me, start out slow make a one-sided mold first, then try a double-sided till you get it down and then let your imagination sweep you away. :)

hope that helps,
Jason