Scratchbuilt Star Destroyer project COMPLETED!

icon_lol.gif
Thanks! I owe my speed to having 1 week of vacation and a VERY patient wife! The main hull should go together REAL quick, with the hangar bay and all the detail along the edges and the rear engine area taking some time. I did happen to find that the plastic easter eggs are the perfect size for the drive nozzles
icon_lol.gif

Oh, and my wife and daughter both agree with you. I AM insane.

Robert
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again
icon_smile.gif
By the way, I've just cut out the hull pieces and it looks like the ship is gonna be 31 and 1/2 inches long.

Updates to follow......

Robert
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

Got the upper and lower hulls partially finished...I'm using plexiglass for the hull braces instead of wood..I still need to add a couple more braces(each hull has two so far)

hull1.jpg

hull2.jpg

Robert
icon_smile.gif

What do you use for gluing plexiglas? I was considering making a falcon hull from sheet plexiglas - sectioned then glued together, but I hadn't gotten around to researching the glue needed.

Jedi Dade

That is total badass-ness !!! keep us updated, hell I just may make EP:II "Old School" Star Destroyer now after seeing this !!! Great work keep us posted on the progress, and please for the love of all thats good and resin like, cast this bugger !!!

-Mike

Thanks for the words of encouragement everybody!

First: No WAY do I have the skills to cast this puppy...I've never done moldmaking.

Second: Jedi Dade, I've found that if you rough up the gluing surfaces, plain old super glue works great for bonding plexiglass and styrene....but I reinforce the inside seam with a bead of hot glue just to be safe!

Third: Yes Tom, I plan on doing this sucker up with fiber optic lights at a later date...I've left key access areas lightly glued so I can pop them apart to make it easier to run the fibers. I may or may not light the engines.

Here's a few progress pics...adding details to the edges of the hull.

edge1.jpg

edge2.jpg

I've also been busy doing the hangar bay.

hanger1.jpg

I'm not sure but I think I'm beginning to hate you - or at least how good (and Fast) you are at this
icon_wink.gif
Just kidding it looks amazingly good. have you thought of keeping track of what you use and or blueprints for this thing? I'd be interested for sure!

As far as mold making if you have the skills to make that thing you sure as sh!it can make a mold to mold it up! even a 2 left handed monkey like me can mold and cast. But that's a differnet debate just seeing you make this thing is awesome!

Jedi Dade

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Chaucer44 wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Holy shat!!! Great work!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>
holyshat.jpg

I second that!
icon_smile.gif
Every time I check back on this thread I'm more and more amazed!

How are you cutting the styrene pieces? Just an xacto and a straight edge?

Ethan

That's basicly it, Ethan. I use the old "score and snap" method....Works like a snap(pun intended
icon_lol.gif
).

I also use my trusty Dremel for heavy cutting.

Here's a couple more progress shots....

side1.jpg

angle1.jpg

Robert
icon_smile.gif

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back