Scratchbuilt Star Destroyer project COMPLETED!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Robert McLain, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

I've been toying with the idea of scratchbuilding on of these suckers for quite some time and finally got the nerve to begin. The Bridge tower seen in the pics is a test: it's made from sheet styrene and will be detailed with assorted model parts. It's 4 and 1/4 inches across. Oh, and the sensor spheres are craft beads [​IMG] What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And excellent start! [​IMG]

Don't forget to put a little tiny Millennium Falcon hiding on the back there... [​IMG]

- K

3. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Will watch this thread closely!

4. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

Keep that up and your SD will rule bigstyle.

SAS

5. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Here are some reference pics for the SD

http://www.studioscale.com/referencephotos.htm

Having seen the ESB model up close - you need a TON of battleship models [​IMG] the guns are ALL OVER that sucker! also the superstructures are used all over the side detailing, along with aircraft carrier and tank parts but mostly battleships. Enjoy!

Jedi Dade

6. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Thanks guys [​IMG] Sadly, at the small scale I'm building at(about 3 feet long) I'm gonna have to scratchbuild a lot of the parts....I'm gonna try to achieve a general "look" as opposed to pinpoint accuracy(no way I can do that [​IMG]) Jedi Dade, thanks for the link to the pics...they're gonna be of tremendous help!

Here I've scribed some panel lines and layed on a few more detail pieces.

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

7. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

If I rememer correctly the ANH SD was about 3 feet... The ESB was a lot bigger but you should still probably look for really small scale battleships and carriers. There's probably enough kitbashing material in there to help cut down on scratching EVERYTHING. You can usually pick up kits pretty cheap (sometimes in lots) on eBay.

You might want to think about constructing it subsections that could be molded and cast. The thing is basically symetrical, even though the "correct" detailing is totally different you could probably save yourself a lot of effort "copying" parts you've already made. Plus if you ever wanted to make a kit of this you'd have most of it done. Just a thought.

Jedi Dade

8. PHArchivist

Looking good!

9. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Here's one more shot of the bridge with added detailing. I'm gonna hold off on anymore pics until I've made more progress on the upper superstructure. Thanks as always to wackychimp for the pic hosting [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

10. tommin

tommin Sr Member

Wow!!! Robert, you've always done some amazing build-ups but I think this one is going to be my most favorite of them all. [​IMG]

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread, brudda.

Tom

11. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Here's an update pic....Finished the basic shape of the superstructure....just need to true up the edges and begin laying on the detail. This section is 12 and 1/4 inches long.

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

12. PHArchivist

You are working fast! Loks great!

13. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Thanks [​IMG] This is after adding some detail. This is gonna be quite a chore!

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

14. vaderbreath

vaderbreath Well-Known Member

That is looking fantastic! Man, now you've got me wanting to do one!

15. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is some very impressive work so far! I really like seeing the progress pics as the model takes shape [​IMG]

Ethan

16. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

AWESOME!!!!!!

17. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Still more freakin bits of styrene....

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

18. PHArchivist

Man that is incredible! Must be tedious but loads of fun! I wish I had your work pace!

AWESOME, and fun thread to watch!

19. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

OK, I'm finished with the upper superstructure and have chosen a color(Testors Model Master Flat Gull Gray) Like I mentioned before, I wasn't going for dead on accuracy, but a good representation. I think scribing the panel lines really brought it to life. I'm gonna make the main hull out of plexiglass with wood inner braces. I think the part I'm looking most forward to building is the main hangar bay on the belly of the ship...Lots of detail in there to have fun with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

20. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

Sir, you are insane. Thank you for making some of us look like frauds.
    Seriously, that is really impressive. And I can't believe your progess is taking days and not months.
    Thanks for sharing an impressive undertaking with all of us.

Brian

21. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

[​IMG] Thanks! I owe my speed to having 1 week of vacation and a VERY patient wife! The main hull should go together REAL quick, with the hangar bay and all the detail along the edges and the rear engine area taking some time. I did happen to find that the plastic easter eggs are the perfect size for the drive nozzles [​IMG]

Oh, and my wife and daughter both agree with you. I AM insane.

Robert [​IMG]

22. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

How could I miss this thread!!?? That's just AWESOME! Top notch work, can't wait for more updates![​IMG]

Steve.

23. vaderbreath

vaderbreath Well-Known Member

Crap on a stick! This just keeps getting better and better. Unbelievable work!!!

24. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Thanks again [​IMG] By the way, I've just cut out the hull pieces and it looks like the ship is gonna be 31 and 1/2 inches long.

Updates to follow......

Robert [​IMG]

25. well paid killer

well paid killer Well-Known Member

Ummmm... HOLY SH*T, that looks down right amazing man! Keep up the great work... [​IMG]

26. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

For god sake drop that thing into some rubber! [​IMG]

Seriously though - it looks fantastic!
    Jedi Dade

27. PHArchivist

AYou clearly have some skills! And some patience and time! [​IMG]

28. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Thanks again!

Got the upper and lower hulls partially finished...I'm using plexiglass for the hull braces instead of wood..I still need to add a couple more braces(each hull has two so far)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

29. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Well-Known Member

Why aren't these finished pieces being spilt into something blue?

30. Rocketeer390

Rocketeer390 Well-Known Member

Fantastic. I'm amazed at how quickly this is moving and how good it looks. Great!

31. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

What do you use for gluing plexiglas? I was considering making a falcon hull from sheet plexiglas - sectioned then glued together, but I hadn't gotten around to researching the glue needed.

Jedi Dade

32. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Wow, that is sweet!

This site: http://killbyte.da.ru/ has huge ref. pics from the MOM tours. It takes a while to load sometimes though.

33. Guardian

Guardian New Member

That is total badass-ness !!! keep us updated, hell I just may make EP:II "Old School" Star Destroyer now after seeing this !!! Great work keep us posted on the progress, and please for the love of all thats good and resin like, cast this * !!!

-Mike

34. tommin

tommin Sr Member

Hmmmm...plexiglass....are you thinking of lighting on this bad boy? [​IMG]

Tom

35. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement everybody!

First: No WAY do I have the skills to cast this puppy...I've never done moldmaking.

Second: Jedi Dade, I've found that if you rough up the gluing surfaces, plain old super glue works great for bonding plexiglass and styrene....but I reinforce the inside seam with a bead of hot glue just to be safe!

Third: Yes Tom, I plan on doing this sucker up with fiber optic lights at a later date...I've left key access areas lightly glued so I can pop them apart to make it easier to run the fibers. I may or may not light the engines.

Here's a few progress pics...adding details to the edges of the hull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also been busy doing the hangar bay.

[​IMG]

36. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I'm not sure but I think I'm beginning to hate you - or at least how good (and Fast) you are at this [​IMG] Just kidding it looks amazingly good. have you thought of keeping track of what you use and or blueprints for this thing? I'd be interested for sure!

As far as mold making if you have the skills to make that thing you sure as sh!it can make a mold to mold it up! even a 2 left handed monkey like me can mold and cast. But that's a differnet debate just seeing you make this thing is awesome!

Jedi Dade

37. tommin

tommin Sr Member

Lemme be the first to say, ...Robert, ...YOU SUCK!!!

[​IMG]

Tom

38. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

WOW, this thing is coming along quickly!!!

Very very nice!!

Kenny

39. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Chaucer44 wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Holy shat!!! Great work!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>
    [​IMG]

I second that! [​IMG] Every time I check back on this thread I'm more and more amazed!

How are you cutting the styrene pieces? Just an xacto and a straight edge?

Ethan

40. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

That's basicly it, Ethan. I use the old "score and snap" method....Works like a snap(pun intended [​IMG]).

I also use my trusty Dremel for heavy cutting.

Here's a couple more progress shots....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

41. Seymour Butz

Seymour Butz Well-Known Member

Bigvade, that looks absolutely incredible.

42. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    [​IMG]

Ethan
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Man I haven't seen that pics since I posted it for the first time. [​IMG]

Awesome work on the star destroyer. Truly inspirational.

Ryu

43. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

WOW !! super job and much work!!
    Dean

44. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Man, I should have thought this through.....I just wasn't considering molding this puppy when I began building. The side pieces are attached with superglue and reinforced with a thick bead of hot glue and the bridge and tower are attached the same as well as the various sections of the superstructure. The two wedge sections can be separated, the top plate of the bridge is lightly glued and the superstructure is attached to the top wedge with screws. I did all of this to make lighting the ship easier later on.

Robert [​IMG]

45. Rocketeer390

Rocketeer390 Well-Known Member

Damned inspiring! Makes me want to build...something!
    Keep it it up!

46. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Dude do you ever sleep? My God this is going together fast. Do you have plans for this or are you just making it up as you go? After seeing this I was scoping prices for sheets of plexiglas at Lowes thinking of trying it myself (45ish dollars for a 3x6 foot sheet) I was thinking that 1 sheet should be enough if I had a plan to lay it out and avoid waste. I was also scoping out a new router attachment for my dremel to make panel scribing easier [​IMG] Of course the old steel ruler and awl/exacto are still the gold standard for that.

Jedi Dade

47. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

HEY! I sleep........sometimes[​IMG]

I didn't use any plans to build it...just kinda eyeballed/made it up as I went along with the help of reference pics.

Actually, I was able to cut all the pieces I needed from a 24X48 inch sheet of plexiglass(from lowes, 25.00) but it was close! Better to go your way and have some extra.

This pic shows some of the hangar bay detail. I made the claw out of junk model parts and the claw track is "N" guage model railroad track(had plenty of that left from my old hobby[​IMG]) Also seen is the raised detail on the outer hull surrounding the bay(made from plexi) The seams between the hull pieces will of course be puttied in befor final painting.

[​IMG]

And this pic is of the weird whassit jutting from the front of the superstructure. Made from styrene. The main hull will look a LOT better after I scribe all the panel lines on.

[​IMG]

Robert [​IMG]

48. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

49. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

I've seen his work up close a few years ago here in Oslo.
    Amazing! He still has a big * Star Destroyer in a comic book shop here in the capitol.

Dont be so hard on yourself. You're doing a great job! Seriously[​IMG]
    -Mikael

50. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice!

You mention scribing panel lines...that may look too out of scale (remember how ill-received the ERTL panel lines were on the movie Enterprise). The panel lines on the ILM SDs were drawn on with pencil.