Saurian Brandy Bottles.

JoshBot

So I now have 3 George Sickle Tennessee Whisky bottles. Two are large and lighter in color, one is smaller in color. Does anyone have any information about these?

We're they from different years? Which one is more canon for a Saurian Brandy Prop? We're the dark ones available in the larger size? we're the light ones available in the small size? I know there was also a tiny bottle made, maybe 187ml?

I have a half side of leather I plan on making into the pieces for the conversion. Any advice?

I have 1 stopper with no cork, but I will be replacing the cork ager I make a few more replacement stoppers. Trying to decide between resin casting in orange, or actually turning new ones in wood. I would love to know what collectors think of those two options.

PXL_20210210_223949604.jpg

Thank you everyone for your input.

Joshbot

Search bottle collector sites for Dickel Powderhorn for the particulars about which bottle was when. I've read, but I forget.

The lighter bottle is what you want for Screen Accuracy.

For the stopper, find a cork that fits. Get a bag of wood cones of appropriate size at your local hobby store. Saw one at the appropriate angle and sand the edges. Paint. Glue the cork to the bottom of the cone. Screw a screw eye into the top of the cone for the leather lace strip.

This is the paint you want

When it comes to props or filming miniatures, there is what it looked like in person, what it looked like onscreen, and what it looked like in our minds. In my mind, the bottles were a darker amber and the leather more of an orangey-red. When the bottles have booze in them, they tend to look darker anyway.

On the subject of color, were McCoy's brandy glasses actually more purple in person, or is this one I noted on Ebay last year just a different variant?

mccoyBRANDY2 (1).jpg

Attachments

• mccoy-BRANDY2-1.jpg
    mccoy-BRANDY2-1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 122
I just bought an old powderhorn bottle myself. But the cork is broken in two. Can it be repaired or replaced?

- Leelan

Last edited:
I have a George Dickel bottle and the cork on mine is ...... "serviceable" but I wouldn't mind replacing it with something new and more solid. Anyone making these or know a good source for a better condition original?

I have a George Dickel bottle and the cork on mine is ...... "serviceable" but I wouldn't mind replacing it with something new and more solid. Anyone making these or know a good source for a better condition original?

MystArt,

Where did you get that Trek-ish stemware? I have seen the "official" Saurian Brandy stemware on eBay and Etsy but there is no way I would ever pay what they are asking for something I would not use every day. Your's looks like an acceptable substitute. What is the name of this stemware?

There are two competing recipes online for Saurian Brandy. One is made with actual brandy and the other made with vodka. Have you tried either one? Do you know anybody who has tried either one? If I'm going to go to the trouble of recreating a Saurian Brandy bottle I want to put at least a reasonable facsimile inside it. I know The actors were drinking water or Kool Ade on the show. But ---

Thank you!
- Leelan

MystArt,

Where did you get that Trek-ish stemware? I have seen the "official" Saurian Brandy stemware on eBay and Etsy but there is no way I would ever pay what they are asking for something I would not use every day. Your's looks like an acceptable substitute. What is the name of this stemware?

There are two competing recipes online for Saurian Brandy. One is made with actual brandy and the other made with vodka. Have you tried either one? Do you know anybody who has tried either one? If I'm going to go to the trouble of recreating a Saurian Brandy bottle I want to put at least a reasonable facsimile inside it. I know The actors were drinking water or Kool Ade on the show. But ---

Thank you!
- Leelan

Hiya Leelan, we got those glasses as a wedding gift but I'll ask the lady where she bought them. I "think" they were from The Bay up here in Canada but I'm not certain. I had a look closely and I don't see any markings or brand etched on them anywhere but I'll definitely see what I can find out for you.

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_105124[2857].jpg
    IMG_20210904_105124[2857].jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 204
Thank you!

I have other possibles in my cart at Amazon.com. Just waiting for some spare change before picking one.

I bought two Dickle Powderhorn bottles on eBay. I was way too excited when I bought the first one. It has thick leather lacing all over and won't do. But the second one is the correct one. I should have it near the 14th. Of course both have broken corks. I bought a bunch of corks at the craft store but they were all too big. So I sanded one down to 19mm and epoxied it into the cap. I am waiting until at least twelve hours pass before trying to put it in the bottle.

- Leelan

dWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.jpg

Last edited:
MystArt,

Thank you!
- Leelan

Found them! They are Nachtmann Havana martini glasses

Unavailable on Amazon. $99 on eBay! Eh . . . I think I will pass.

But thank you, Mystart, for the information. :D

The first cork replacement and repair is a success. I can stop the bottle and unstop it with little effort. I haven't tested it yet to see if the seal is leakproof. But I may yet.

The second more accurate bottle is due this Wednesday. Now I need either a strip of leather or a roll of red gaffer's tape to dress the bottle as it is seen onscreen. Could those of you who have done this advise me on what is best to do?

- Leelan

I got the second bottle a few days ago. It is the right tint of glass. And, as a bonus!, the seller already cleaned the old labels off of it. All I need to do now is buy a leather thong to replace the original, add the leather strip to cover the embossed lettering and paint the leather red-orange.

BTW the new cork is a smidgen too small. I sanded it down maybe a fraction of a millimeter too much. It will leak slightly if tipped. I wonder if a coat of wax might improve the seal?

- Leelan

dWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.jpg

Search bottle collector sites for Dickel Powderhorn for the particulars about which bottle was when. I've read, but I forget.

The lighter bottle is what you want for Screen Accuracy.

For the stopper, find a cork that fits. Get a bag of wood cones of appropriate size at your local hobby store. Saw one at the appropriate angle and sand the edges. Paint. Glue the cork to the bottom of the cone. Screw a screw eye into the top of the cone for the leather lace strip.

This is the paint you want
I just scored a bottle on ebay and was looking for help with the leather. Thank you so much for the information, it's very much appreciated JW.
-Rafael

I finished my own TOS version of the Saurian Brandy bottle. I'm working on a DS9 version now.View attachment 1499226
This is correct. And a rather splendid copy.
HOWEVER….
The color is not “red”. It is a combination of red and orange. A 50/50 mix. Remember, this was a time when TV was just converting to color as color TVs where the new thing. As a result, color TV shows were capitalizing on really bright colors. Hell, look at Batman ‘66. Half of America was still viewing television in black and white. But those in ‘66 that could afford the new color TVs wanted vibrant color (in technicolor) wanted to see something spectacular. That’s why the picked colors that popped.

Hence, the red/ orange color. Simple red was way too dark.
This is why the “red” colors were a combination of red and orange as it was more vibrant on new color TVs.
I’ve done several of these bottles and I feel I’ve come up with a pretty good mix at Home Depot. Strangely, it’s a wall paint, but it adheres to the leather very well.

I built one of these 20 years ago. The correct TOS bottle, as others have noted, is the amber glass quart size. Back in the day, I had a local leather crafter recreate all the leather in red. The cork is inset into the wooden stopper, so I drilled out old cork completely and bought a new one of the correct size from a local winery. I epoxied it in place. Once complete, I decided I didn't like that it wasn't glossy or vibrant enough and sold it on eBay. I currently own 4 powderhorn bottles and need to make some TOS and DS9 Saurian brandy bottles out of them.

Attachments

• DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00029.jpg
    DSC00029.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 60

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back