Sandtrooper Macrobinocular build

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently received a Radica Tank Assault game from the PiF thread, which reminds me...

Ok, back to build:

I received the game (in working order) in this condition:

macrobinoculars001.jpg

After digging through my greeblies box, I found a bottle lid and some kind of plastic disc from some electronic something-or-other that looked the part:

macrobinoculars002.jpg

Some other black rubber things with brass tubing inside looked cool:

macrobinoculars005.jpg

I decided immediately that I wanted to keep the game in working order (why not?!). Opened up:

macrobinoculars003.jpg

I spray painted the entire thing black, added a mist of silver then put petroleum jelly (vaseline) on different places I wanted the white paint to look chipped before adding my first coat of white:

macrobinoculars006.jpg

I didn't just want to paint over the controls since there was text (this 80s game was more complicated than I expected) that I wanted to keep. So, I scanned the original controls, changed the text to Aurebesh:

macrobinoculars009-2.jpg

I cut out the button holes with a craft knife...

macrobinoculars009.jpg

The area around the viewing screen had a cheesy sticker with information, etc that I was going to similarly reconstruct to a more Star Wars looking HUD but, after removing the sticker and cleaning the piece, I figured I'd just leave it black and add a little silver "knob" greeblie to the side:

macrobinoculars008.jpg

Now, normally these games have a black plastic thing around the visor for comfort... mine didn't. So, I figured I'd make my own. I had an old faux-leather boot that my wife wore out the sole on:

macrobinoculars010.jpg

I cut a strip of the "leather" and super glued it around the edge of the visor.

macrobinoculars011.jpg

Gluing done:

macrobinoculars012.jpg

Next, I hot-glued a thick string around the edge to give the pleather a bit of padding:

macrobinoculars013.jpg

Once the cord was added, I just wrapped the leather to the inside and super glued it to the plastic. Interestingly I learned that superglue and pleather don't seem to mix well. I don't know what was going on but on certain parts of the pleather, the superglue became very hot and sounded like it was boiling! Bad fumes too. :confused

Lastly, I pulled some metal tabs off a vintage camera case:

macrobinoculars004.jpg

The finished product:

macrobinoculars014.jpg

macrobinoculars015.jpg

My original plan was to add some D-rings and a leather strap, but instead I decided to add some black elastic and hook it over one of the drop boxes on my TK's belt:

macrobinoculars016.jpg

His pauldron is on the way so next... the pack!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

awesome job mate!!
i have one, works too, added resin kit parts to it.....looks for pic

Remember Stormtroopers dont have pauldrons ;)

Nice build, Pred! As you probably noticed although I added distressing, I didn't go full out dirty-sandtrooper as I'm not sure if I'm going to go that route with my TK. I know there are several differences between the Storm and Sandtroopers besides the dirt and extra pieces... but I'm not sure if I want to do the full conversion. Since most folks who see my display won't know the difference, I'll probably end up doing a hybrid.

Yeah, I've been using the Vaseline-masking techinque for years and it really makes a great effect.

nice lookin TK too..FX with an MR if I can still pick my makers :)
I built mine for 'sumthin to do' as i never used it with my TD

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back